KHAO PREAH VIHEAR TEMPLE

Ivor the Engine

Nowhere man
Officials and locals in Si Sa Ket’s Kantharalak district say they are looking forward to the reopening of access to the Preah Vihear Temple complex and adjoining border checkpoint soon.
After Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Manet visited Thailand early last month, the House committee on foreign affairs called on the government to negotiate the reopening of a temporary border checkpoint and access to the ancient temple.
#General #SiSaKet #PreahVihear #ThailandNews

Wow how many years is it now after the great unpleasantness and exchange of live rounds. Let me correct that. It was only the Cambodians that lobbed a few shells over to the Thai side.

It's been going on for centuries.

Many Khmer built temples are now within Thai borders. Historic mapping of Thailand shows a much smaller Isaan region. Both the southern borders with Cambodia and the eastern borders with Laos have moved.

Look at the spoken dialects. Khmer in the south, with Laos in places, and Laos in the North and the East of Isaan.

Thailand have certainly claimed territory that once belonged to Laos and the Khmers. I've seen maps, can't seem to find the links, of Laos covering areas west of the Mehkong and large parts of Southern Isaan being Khmer territory, encompassing Khao Phanom Rung.

Wow how many years is it now after the great unpleasantness and exchange of live rounds. Let me correct that. It was only the Cambodians that lobbed a few shells over to the Thai side.
The shells and rockets went over our home and exploded in the families rice field. Two people were killed about 5km from us.

It's been going on for centuries.

Many Khmer built temples are now within Thai borders. Historic mapping of Thailand shows a much smaller Isaan region. Both the southern borders with Cambodia and the eastern borders with Laos have moved.

Look at the spoken dialects. Khmer in the south, with Laos in places, and Laos in the North and the East of Isaan.

Thailand have certainly claimed territory that once belonged to Laos and the Khmers. I've seen maps, can't seem to find the links, of Laos covering areas west of the Mehkong and large parts of Southern Isaan being Khmer territory, encompassing Khao Phanom Rung.
Apparently, Cambodia abandoned the area north of the Dankrek mountains in 1411.The Thais forced them to head south east. Then sometime after that the Laotian Kingdom came on the scene and took over the area. There is some info on Google but it’s hard to line it all up. That provides some explanation as to why there are so many different dialects. My brother in law told me years ago that the Surin Khmer speakers can’t understand Khmer speakers across the border and visa versa. Very few words are the same.

Apparently, Cambodia abandoned the area north of the Dankrek mountains in 1411.The Thais forced them to head south east. Then sometime after that the Laotian Kingdom came on the scene and took over the area. There is some info on Google but it’s hard to line it all up. That provides some explanation as to why there are so many different dialects. My brother in law told me years ago that the Surin Khmer speakers can’t understand Khmer speakers across the border and visa versa. Very few words are the same.
They probably wouldn't want too either. When I lived in a village towards Prasat, most villagers 'looked down' on Cambodians.

I saw F 16s fly over our home and drop bombs on the Cambodia military. When were at RYNAS the canon fire was so strong it put us outside about 3 in the morning and we could see read flashs about40 km away.
I was also staying very near to Gary's place too, at that time. Remember seeing people camped out in school playing fields.

For around 5/6 years up until Covid, CO-CO and I took many local expats and their wives/partners to Cambodia. Initially wives and partners did not want to go, but went under duress, mainly so they could keep their eye on their husband/partner. They all thoroughly enjoyed their trip so much so that they could not wait to go again. The Cambodians were all so nice and welcoming and easy to get along with.

My brother in law told me years ago that the Surin Khmer speakers can’t understand Khmer speakers across the border and visa versa. Very few words are the same.
Not quite true. Surin Khmer is the name of a distinct language. It is spoken in all northern Cambodian provinces. Maybe the statement is true much further south but not at the border.

We made 1 trip in 2017 from KC to Phnom Penh by the time we reached Siem Reap she could not understand the language. All of my wife family speaks Khmer

My wife told me the opposite.

The dialect is called "Northern Khmer". Spoken in Surin, Buriram, Sissaket and Sakeaw. Also, not surprisingly, in Northern Cambodia.

Back