land sizes and price.

R

rossi

morning all!

my wife has some land, she says its 1 part of 4, so im assuming a 1/4 of a rai

one thing that confuses me it she calls it "run" whereas i thought they call "rai",
are they both the same measurement or is run something different?

she also has another 1 part of 4 across the road, which her dad lives on.

on the 1/4 across the road her uncle owns another 1/4 next to it and said i could have it for 160,000b, the wife said "good deal :) " i thought ye right lol, of course i said no as i have no idea about land prices.

my question is, is that a suitable price for that amount of land?
the Tani area in between prasat and prakonchai just off the 24.

morning all!

one thing that confuses me it she calls it "run" whereas i thought they call "rai",

on the 1/4 across the road her uncle owns another 1/4 next to it and said i could have it for 160,000b, the wife said "good deal :) " i thought ye right lol, of course i said no as i have no idea about land prices.

These are the basics for land conversion in the Thai land measurement system. Thailand does not have an Imperial or Metric system. .....
1 sq. wah = 4 sq. m. 1 acre = 2.471 rai or 43,560 sq. ft.
1 ngan = 100 wah (or 400 sq. m.) 1 hectare = 6.25 rai or 10,000 sq. m.
1 Rai = 4 Ngan (or 1600 sq. m.)

On the basis that 1 rai = 1600square metres, then 1/4 rai will = 400sq metres (ie 20m/20m or 10m x 40m). You should be able to estimate the size of the land you are being offered.

I have never heard of the word "run" used for measuring land. If it is 1/4 rai, then the price is 540,000bt/rai and I would suggest that you RUN!:rolleyes:

morning all!

Somewhat low on that Nick. 160x4=640,000 baht.Think1
Rural village land on a concert road with power and telephone with out title is going for 500,000 baht per rai. This is a house building lot in Kap Choeng a very short way from immigration. This price is Thai to Thai.

I suspect your wife is saying 'ngan', not 'run'.

The price of land depends on three main points.

1) Is it held under chanote or under some lesser form of ownership?
2) If chanote, is it for building land or for agricultural land? (Villagers often build on agricultural land, so the fact that it has a house on it is no evidence)
3) Where is the land? Is it in a small village, or a large village, or a town? Where is it in relation to other buildings?

In other words, nobody can tell you whether it's a good price unless they know the actual piece of land.

thx all

good job i said no! from your postings, seems the price is abit too much

the land has nothing on it atm, its like a little jungle, but its right next to her 1/4 across the road so i thought itd be nice to have a 1/2 there. move her dad into the 1/4 and we move into the 1/2 and build something new.

tbh i didnt look at things like electric etc but electric and water is most definately in the street.

tani is quite a big village and there are other homes and stuff surrounding it.

i also didnt check about the chanote, i take it this is a must for buying land? i'll have to find out if agri land or building land. if agri i should be looking at a lot less ?

Chanote is a must. If agricultural land, the price should be less than 150,000/rai, but small pieces of land often go for funny prices.

Try and find out what other pieces of land nearby have sold for.

As I said, nobody can tell you the right price without knowing the piece of land involved.... which makes it difficult.

cheers

when i go back in a few months i'll have another look, see if its still there and enquire around

does it say on the chanote if its building or agri land? and this information cannot be false?
i mean like hes trying to sell me building land at higher prices when its only agri land?

i have the chanote here from the 1/4 we live in, but alas i cant read thai lol

I have a good friend who has 13 Rai of land and might be willing to sell. It is in Prasat and on a paved road. It is very fertile rice, sugar producing land. What is typical of an estimated selling price of this type of land, if any of you have an idea, so I can tell him? Thanks for any thoughts.
Not necessary to sell, but he is amenable.

I have a good friend who has 13 Rai of land and might be willing to sell. It is in Prasat and on a paved road. It is very fertile rice, sugar producing land. What is typical of an estimated selling price of this type of land, if any of you have an idea, so I can tell him? Thanks for any thoughts.
Not necessary to sell, but he is amenable.

I have seen land such as this go for 35k to 200k per rai. There are to many unknowns. Best that he does his homework locally.

Dare I say it, a Chanote is a must and you must ask to see the original - not a copy. If the owner of the land cannot produce the Chanote, on demand by yourself or your wife, smell a fish and a rotten fish at that. I am sorry to say that all too often odd parcels of land, and even primary plots too, have been put into hock by the owners. The Chanote is held by the person who has advanced the money as security for the loan and held until such time that the loan is repaid. It is a very common practice around these parts - beware.

Dare I say it, a Chanote is a must and you must ask to see the original - not a copy. If the owner of the land cannot produce the Chanote, on demand by yourself or your wife, smell a fish and a rotten fish at that. I am sorry to say that all too often odd parcels of land, and even primary plots too, have been put into hock by the owners. The Chanote is held by the person who has advanced the money as security for the loan and held until such time that the loan is repaid. It is a very common practice around these parts - beware.

nomad gives very sound advice, but hear is where it can get interesting. In a town such as Surin the majority of land will have a Chanote but as you movie out into the the rural setting you will find that that this changes to no Chanote. You will also find out that your Thai partner sees nothing wrong with this as they have been doing business this way from the beginning of time. Its the same mind set as 24 people in a pickup. They see no wrong. Your Thai partner will go ape shit when you say no.......MonkeyFight

All these comments, including the last, are correct. There are lesser kinds of landd title, and some very remote land has no papers at all.

But Rossi, the amount you're talking about is only B.160,000. If the land fits in well with your planning, you don't stand to lose very much even if the worst comes to the worst.

thanks for the information everyone :)

i'll see what happens, when i go back.
it'll be early next year now, she will applying for her spouse visa next month and thats up to 3 months for an answer Cry3.

Following the recent, albeit virtually unprecedented, floods, I would suggest that you also obtain an idea of how high the land is above the neighbours and the road. As a rule of thumb, a 4 wheel tipper will carry around 4 cu m of loose earth which will raise 1 wah of land by around 0.70 - 0.80/metre. Depending upon the quality and distance hauled, as far as I know, a 4 wheel tipper load is currently between Bht 350.00 and Bht 500.00, therefore to raise 1 ngan by only 1 metre could set you back Bht 200,000 to Bht 350,000. My information is a bit dated on the prices but maybe someone else has up to date prices.

Cheers.

A small additional comment to the chanote ownership. If the land is being used for a loan from a bank then you need to ensure the conditions of the loan before making any commitment.
Also are you sure it is a good idea to live close to her father?

nomad gives very sound advice, but hear is where it can get interesting. In a town such as Surin the majority of land will have a Chanote but as you movie out into the the rural setting you will find that that this changes to no Chanote. You will also find out that your Thai partner sees nothing wrong with this as they have been doing business this way from the beginning of time. Its the same mind set as 24 people in a pickup. They see no wrong. Your Thai partner will go ape shit when you say no.......MonkeyFight

Well, if your Thai partner sees no wrong with this... you may want to suspect the land is already 'in the family' so to speak, and you are being taken as a farang 'rube' that doesn't know shit and is as gullible as shit. No Thai wife would allow her farang husband to be scammed out of thousands of baht by a flawed land title, unless of course she and her family is in on the scam to begin with. If the title is flawed and she goes 'apeshit' when you say NO, you may want to rethink her commitment and 'love' for you. Something would definitely be amiss in this sort of scenario. Run, Forrest, RUN!

Had a similar thing happen when trying to buy a small piece of land under my daughter's name for her future home 'in the village' one day. The woman holding the chanote was actually the grand daughter of the man whose name was on the land title. She saw no problem with selling the land using the old chanote. My wife said 'no way'. Unless the woman got the name changed to her own name there would be no sale or monies exchanged. The title and ownership would have been able to be challenged by all her relatives in a court of law. She ended up having to spend the money to go to the land offices and get it changed into her name legally. It cost her some baht (We weren't going to pay for this), and it took her some time (a few months actually), but eventually it was done and all legal, and we then purchased the land involved from her (In my daughter's name actually). She needed to prove none of her other relatives had a claim on the land, by having them all sign a note saying they released any and all legal claim to the title for the land. The woman was a neighbor in the village.

Be careful when buying land here in Thailand, especially land in the villages.

Mike

P.S. I forgot to add: the woman's grandad was deceased and had been so for quite a few years.

Last edited:
Back