Leo Beer - The inoffensive brew

A

alan crisp

Leo Beer - The inoffensive brew

By : BEERASIA

This is the cash cow of the Boon Rawd Brewery and probably the only reason the company is still economically viable. It is cheap and does not taste like piss, soap or foam so is unlike any of the other beers in the company's portfolio. Its low price, fair alcohol content and prominent availability make it a good moneymaker. While aimed at the Thai market many farangs, including myself, will buy it because of the reasons listed above, it is cheap, doesn't taste bad and is readily available. You can buy it at 7-11s, Family Marts etc.

The beer is well marketed. Since the Thai Government banned the use of celebrities in alcohol marketing campaigns Boon Rawd has gone back to more traditional tactics; the use of pretty women. The seven sexy Leo girls ad campaign works as well for farangs as for Thais. If Boon Rawd got their act together they could probably make a lot more of this beer in the farang market than they currently do. Leo now has 25% of the market; Singha's future is only that of a tourist beer with ever diminishing returns. The money is clearly in the Leo.

As with all Thai beers Leo is best-drunk ice cold so you do not taste the chemicals in it or what other crap they put in it. The beer can be drunk in quantity without a massive hangover. You might feel slightly groggy the next morning if you have a massive session but it normally does not give you a Chang style hangover. It is basically a cheap version of Heineken, that is it does not taste like much and therefore is easy to drink. Were this any other country in the world then I would not give this beer a second look but this is Thailand and we are not blessed with a great deal of choice so for the time being Leo will be my cheap Charlie beer of choice when I am need of an affordable can of beer and am in a 7-11 or Familymart.

The choice of many ........................
:Bow5::Bow5::Bow5::Bow5:

http://www.thailandstories.com/article/lifestyle/articles/leo-beer-the-inoffensive-brew.html

Great !!

That means the fcuking price will go up :Cry3:

Good, fair and balanced report by Mr. C. I am sure TMWG will give us his verdict of Archa, as thats his prefered brew.:Grin_Jump1:

Good, fair and balanced report by Mr. C.

Good, fair and balanced report by Beerasia :Bravo1:

But I agree 100%:Agree:

I have never had a headache from this Golden Brew :Beer1: ,unlike some of the other brands sold in Thailand :eek:

I have once seen the PROPER Leo girls that appear in the Calenders, in Surin and they were certainly not pigs!

I would pork them!

I've never had a headache from Leo either.... but then I drink Chang! Archa... once, and never again.

But you should try Cheers Extra, if you haven't already. Not ordinary Cheers.

I've never had a headache from Leo either.... but then I drink Chang! Archa... once, and never again.

But you should try Cheers Extra, if you haven't already. Not ordinary Cheers.

Is that the one they sell in 7/ll :? ,I think I tried Cheers once but never the extra :GiveBeer1:

Is that the one they sell in 7/ll :? ,I think I tried Cheers once but never the extra :GiveBeer1:

Ordinary Cheers is in a blue can and is 'supposed' to be beer as opposed to larger, but its horrible.
The Extra came out about a year ago in a red can and I have been told its very strong so could also be headache material? :Chokdee5:

Its quite cheap in BigC, about half the price of Heinicrap

Ordinary Cheers is in a blue can and is 'supposed' to be beer as opposed to larger, but its horrible.
The Extra came out about a year ago in a red can and I have been told its very strong so could also be headache material? :Chokdee5:

Its quite cheap in BigC, about half the price of Heinicrap

Extra is 6.4% alcohol, I think, much the same as Chang. It's very smooth, and goes down much too fast! Cost 38-40 per 500 ml. can; I've never seen it in bottles. I've never tried drinking enough to get into the headache area.

Back