Money in the Bank - Extension of Stay

Yorky

Fullritis Member
I would be surprised if there is a definitive answer to this one.

As we know, to be granted an extension of stay in LOS, we are required to satisfy certain financial requirements. One option is to have a lump sum in a Thai bank for a certain length of time.

My question is, does the money need to be in the bank (say for 3 months) prior to the date of application or prior to the date of expiry of the existing extension? In Surin Immigration, application for an extension of stay may be up to 45 days prior to the previous date of expiry.

That is a good question. As the date of renewal is the all-important date, not the date the application is made, I would say 3 months before the date of renewal. However, I would not be surprised if they required you to season the money 3 months from date of application, especially if you are going in 1 1/2 months early.

That is a good question. As the date of renewal is the all-important date, not the date the application is made, I would say 3 months before the date of renewal. However, I would not be surprised if they required you to season the money 3 months from date of application, especially if you are going in 1 1/2 months early.

I asked the question because a friend left his application until the last minute to ensure that he had the monies in the bank for the statutory period. It was very tight what with the Macha Bucha holiday.

Personally I'd suspect they'd want the initial financial record set 90 days in advance of you making the application even if it is in advance of the extension of visa expiry date.
Otherwise how would they check to prevent you from pulling your funds out prior to the 90-day period of 'seasoning' ?

@nomad97 @Yorky

Last edited:
Personally I'd suspect they'd want the initial financial record set 90 days in advance of you making the application even if it is in advance of the extension of visa expiry date.
Otherwise how would they check to prevent you from pulling your funds out prior to the 90-day period of 'seasoning' ?

@nomad97 @Yorky

A coincidence that you should say that. I read this earlier on ThaiVisa:

"I just today did my 1-year extension, and I questioned a small slip of paper they stapled to my passport detailing what bank documents I needed to bring in at my next 90-day check.

When I told them I did my 90-day reports on-line (and that the next one was due in about 6 weeks) they simply answered that I don't need to bother to bring in the relevant docs, and that they would simply check at next years extension.

Not sure if this was a well thought out answer by them though as they were just about to close for lunch, and were probably thinking more about their forthcoming somtam & doughnuts."

What SI does to him is a different subject.;;exciting;;

In that particular incidence it didn't matter. The money had been in the bank for 62 days on the Tuesday after Macha Bucha holiday (when he submitted the application (which was also the date of his previous extension expiry)).

I would be interested to see this one tested, but what is to stop you giving the money back to your friend after applying early and only having to have the money in account for 45 days.

In that particular incidence it didn't matter. The money had been in the bank for 62 days on the Tuesday after Macha Bucha holiday (when he submitted the application (which was also the date of his previous extension expiry)).

That is not 90 days...

I would be interested to see this one tested, but what is to stop you giving the money back to your friend after applying early and only having to have the money in account for 45 days.

I'm not sure to whom you are responding here but I have neither given money to nor received any money from any friend.

That is not 90 days...

My original post mentioned 3 months as an example. The application in question only required 60 days seasoning. For the purpose of the initial question, it really doesn't matter.

Remember by police order an IO Captain has the authority to waive seasoning of money requirements for an extension.

My original post mentioned 3 months as an example. The application in question only required 60 days seasoning. For the purpose of the initial question, it really doesn't matter.

I thought it was 2 months on initial application and 3 months on renewal.

I thought it was 2 months on initial application and 3 months on renewal.

Whatever it is, does the 3 month (90 days) or 2 month (60 days) period commence 3 months (90 days) or 2 months (60 days) prior to the expiry of the previous extension (or visa) or the date of application for the next (or first) extension?

For information, the guy in question was basing his extension upon marriage.

I rented a house in Holywell (North f**king Wales) once and the rent was payable monthly. After seven months and when we were leaving the landlord asked me for an additional month's rent as he said it was payable every 4 weeks. (Before anyone asks why I didn't just bugger off we had a fortune's worth of heating oil in the tank - it was 1974).

Back