Monkey Coffee along the Klong

westofhere

Surin Legend
There is a great little coffee shop along the klong opposite side of Goodview (directly across the street from the Korean BBQ) and a half a block from the tesaban 1 road intersection. The place is called "Monkey Coffee." Probably the best cup i have had in Surin! Double shot Americano with a dash of steamed milk, 30 baht.

The staff speaks OK English and is pleasant. The place does mostly take away, but it does have an outdoor "mini" patio and a few tables inside.

Last edited:
dont'cha worry 'bout poor gramma' , Huck ...quick question

There is a great little coffee shop along the klong opposite side of Goodview (directly across the street from the Korean BBQ) and a half a block from the tesaban 1 road intersection. The place is called "Monkey Coffee." Probably the best cup i have had in Surin! Double shot Americano with a dash of steamed milk, 30 baht.

The staff speaks OK English and is pleasant. The place does mostly take away, but it does have an outdoor "mini" patio and a few tables inside.

WofH, I was looking at your avatar and just had to ask - did you always sit with your legs crossed before the big change...or is it that new cigarette on a string ? Love ya - peace my friend. Offtopic2.

Hey Westie, why'd you put this post in the 'Restaurants and places to eat ( other than Surin )' forum?

This place is in Surin, yes? :)

Mike

By the way, I do hope this 'Monkey coffee' is not made like that new and popular 'Elephant' coffee using beans collected from monkey scat. 5555555.

Mike

By the way, I do hope this 'Monkey coffee' is not made like that new and popular 'Elephant' coffee using beans collected from monkey scat. 5555555.

Mike
Could the Mod. move this post? Sorry posted in the wrong forum. No monkey scat Mike. I believe they use 100% Thai Arabica coffee beans from Chiang Mai. I am sure that there are many more quality shops around. I have only been to a handful in Surin (creature of habit). This place by far serves the best coffee. IMHO.

Could the Mod. move this post? Sorry posted in the wrong forum. No monkey scat Mike. I believe they use 100% Thai Arabica coffee beans from Chiang Mai. I am sure that there are many more quality shops around. I have only been to a handful in Surin (creature of habit). This place by far serves the best coffee. IMHO.

I've had great coffee in Thailand. Lots of the street stall coffee stands have good Thai coffee. Strong as hell though usually. Nice flavor. My problem with much of the Thai coffees and teas (I especially like that orange colored tea they do, iced teas and coffees) is they use that carnation evaporated milk as 'milk' which is high in sugar, and also in those orange teas they use the brown granulated sugar as well to sweeten it even more.

It seems like these coffee shops are very trendy here now and they are popping up all over Surin like mushrooms. They are everywhere these days. The one down the street by the train station is a very nice place with a bakery as well, and a small inside area which is air conditioned too. The one with the elephant statues out front, forget the name of it. Their coffee is good as well.

Mike

I've had great coffee in Thailand. Lots of the street stall coffee stands have good Thai coffee. Strong as hell though usually. Nice flavor. My problem with much of the Thai coffees and teas (I especially like that orange colored tea they do, iced teas and coffees) is they use that carnation evaporated milk as 'milk' which is high in sugar, and also in those orange teas they use the brown granulated sugar as well to sweeten it even more.

It seems like these coffee shops are very trendy here now and they are popping up all over Surin like mushrooms. They are everywhere these days. The one down the street by the train station is a very nice place with a bakery as well, and a small inside area which is air conditioned too. The one with the elephant statues out front, forget the name of it. Their coffee is good as well.

Mike
I have been to the one by the train station and agree that their coffee is very good. I think a bit pricey, but they are in a prime location. This place is a little off the beaten path, but if you are in the area it is definitely worth a try.

I agree about the Thai coffee (and tea). My wife is "addicted" to the street stall coffee. I have not had much experience finding Thai coffee. Maybe i need to be more aware of my surroundings:biggrin:. Most that i have been to serve Nescafe with condensed milk and load it with sugar! Yuck!

Coffee on its own is only 2 calories, ad a dash of steamed milk (10 cal.) and a teaspoon of sugar (15 cal.) and you have a great drink under 30 calories. (good for me as i have been watching my caloric intake).

I have been to the one by the train station and agree that their coffee is very good. I think a bit pricey, but they are in a prime location. This place is a little off the beaten path, but if you are in the area it is definitely worth a try.

I agree about the Thai coffee (and tea). My wife is "addicted" to the street stall coffee. I have not had much experience finding Thai coffee. Maybe i need to be more aware of my surroundings:biggrin:. Most that i have been to serve Nescafe with condensed milk and load it with sugar! Yuck!

Coffee on its own is only 2 calories, ad a dash of steamed milk (10 cal.) and a teaspoon of sugar (15 cal.) and you have a great drink under 30 calories. (good for me as i have been watching my caloric intake).

WoH,

I believe in either BigC or Makro I have seen ground Thai grown Aribica ground coffee in bags for sale. Take your time and look around in the coffee section in both places. I know I've seen it. Also used to get Japanese ground coffees as well in one of those places, which was pretty good I thought.

Mike

p.s. Get back to work you lazy bugger! :)

Mike

The one near the station with the elephants outside is called "Kid Teung". As you say, their coffee is very good. A latte ron is 45 baht but it's a bigger cup than most other places. They also have a loyalty card system, after you have got 5 stamps, your sixth cup is free.
Behind the coffee shop is a huge development underconstruction....the Surin Elephant Musem, an hotel and a multistorey carpark. All this is being done by the owner of the Coffee Shop who is an extremely wealthy ex-politician who wishes to give something to Surin...so he says. He is certainly building to a high quality...just take a look at the wood alone! You don't see it all from the road but it's worth a look...just go in past the coffee shop.

Every monkey needs his coffee in the morning. :)

grumpy-monkey-with-coffee-mugjpg-1_zps65b5669d.jpg

Looks like Monkey Coffee Surin is on the ball. Here's their link to their Facebook page which has some good pics of the place and their coffees as well. Ran across another in Prasat as well. Don't know if it is the same company.

http://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rc...woD4Bg&usg=AFQjCNE4eQ5YUn5DC7IohDNbcgbQQ95DBQ

Mike

Monkey Coffee has Coffee Roastery in Prasat. That is where Corner Cafe also buys coffee beans. They bring their coffee from the northern parts of Thailand.

Back