Motoring in surin town

Prakhonchai Nick

You chose a custom title
I have just spent 2 full days in Surin, whilst my kids took entrance exams for Sirindhorn school.

Quite apart from the problematic road works near the schools, my opinion of Surin traffic can be summed up quite succinctly as PISS QUICKS & DOUBLE PARKERS.

The first term relates to those motorists (the majority- and everywhere in Thailand) who invariably wait 4/5 seconds before pulling away from traffic lights ever so slowly, with the result that only half the vehicles that could have passed the green lights actually do so.

Double parking seems to be a problem specifically related to Surin. It is not the odd one or 2 vehicles, but whole streets have double parking -often on both sides - which causes massive congestion.

Not really a lot that can be done with the piss-quicks, as they are not breaking any laws (unless the delay is caused by the use of their mobile telephones). Double parkers should be heavily fined though, although the police are never to be seen.

Once out on the 4 lane highway to Buriram, all should be fine -but it isnt. As everywhere in Thailand some 60%+ of motorists dawdle along in the outside lane, refusing to pull into the clear inside lane. Most of those wishing to do so have no choice but to overtake on the inside, but immediately move back into the outside lane! WTF! And then you get the occasional maniac, who chooses to cross the yellow markings between carriage ways, and overtake careering headlong into traffic coming in the opposite direction.

Oh the joys of driving in Thailand.

Last edited:
I have just spent 2 full days in Surin, whilst my kids took entrance exams for Sirindhorn school.

Once out on the 4 lane highway to Buriram, all should be fine -but it isnt. As everywhere in Thailand some 60%+ of motorists dawdle along in the outside lane, refusing to pull into the clear inside lane.

I agree driving slowly in the outside lane is very frustrating for those of us who pull over to the left after overtaking, however I know that the worst pot holes in the road are always in the left hand lane and I wonder if this is one of the reasons many drivers keep right

Once out on the 4 lane highway to Buriram, all should be fine -but it isnt. As everywhere in Thailand some 60%+ of motorists dawdle along in the outside lane, refusing to pull into the clear inside lane.

I agree driving slowly in the outside lane is very frustrating for those of us who pull over to the left after overtaking, however I know that the worst pot holes in the road are always in the left hand lane and I wonder if this is one of the reasons many drivers keep right

They don't want to hurt their hi-so wheels.monkeywack

A valid point Colin. Many inside lanes are potholed or badly repaired, causing motorists to seek the outside lane. However, they should ALWAYS be aware of traffic behind them, and move back into the inside lane when someone wishes to overtake. They never do!. They are not aware of anyone behind them, and most are not even aware they have 2 lanes to choose from. It is just the outside lane for them...everytime!

The first term relates to those motorists (the majority- and everywhere in Thailand) who invariably wait 4/5 seconds before pulling away from traffic lights ever so slowly, with the result that only half the vehicles that could have passed the green lights actually do so.

I believe there was a survey conducted in the UK many years ago which concluded that the majority of motorway traffic jams were initially caused by hesitant drivers braking (and thereby lighting up their stop lights) for no apparent reason and producing a knock on effect in the actions of following drivers. Thai drivers are renowned for consistently alighting their brake lights without any apparent reason resulting in a similar effect, although not as pronounced (up to now, anyway).

I believe there was a survey conducted in the UK many years ago which concluded that the majority of motorway traffic jams were initially caused by hesitant drivers braking (and thereby lighting up their stop lights) for no apparent reason and producing a knock on effect in the actions of following drivers. Thai drivers are renowned for consistently alighting their brake lights without any apparent reason resulting in a similar effect, although not as pronounced (up to now, anyway).

Just tell them that they are using up the battery and it is costing them money.

Then they may use their brake lights as sparingly as they do headlights when it is getting dark!!

Beware: <-,-> blind driver ahead (dog providing navigational assistance)

A valid point Colin. Many inside lanes are potholed or badly repaired, causing motorists to seek the outside lane. However, they should ALWAYS be aware of traffic behind them, and move back into the inside lane when someone wishes to overtake. They never do!. They are not aware of anyone behind them, and most are not even aware they have 2 lanes to choose from. It is just the outside lane for them...everytime!

How many drivers step in their vehicle, close the door , start the ignition and proceed onto the roadway without once glancing at their side or rear-view mirror ?
Basically, those drivers can only look ahead with nil to little observant understanding or awareness of the vehicular flow or surroundings.

One day I may have an accident as I pass on the left while a clueless operator jerks their vehicle from the right lane into the right-side of my vehicle while they're trying to avoid something in front of them...such as a turning vehicle or a stopped vehicle.

(I'm personally at the low point of really caring as to how they'll explain broadsiding my vehicle's right-side while they moved left out from the right lane. I do not intend to leave the roadway surface to avoid their contact.)

Note: I have witnessed some really fooked up left lanes on four-lane highways that force large lorries and particularly low riders to operate in the right lane. The stick trucks remain a menacing slow obstacle for all vehicles to navigate around.

Funny how you all seem to accept my bete noire, traffic lights.

I'm not often in Surin, and I don't drive.... but my driver's language was colourful as we drove along the road towards BigC yesterday. Fai deng after fai deng.... and all of them just turned deng. Grrr....

Just tell them that they are using up the battery and it is costing them money.

Then they may use their brake lights as sparingly as they do headlights when it is getting dark!!

Now you have brushed on my pet hate. Thai drivers don't seem to get the premise that in bad light and weather conditions you turn your head lights on, for the benefit of other drivers to see YOU. NOT for you to see better.

Why the fork can't they stock the shelves at Makro at night? I leave there with only half of what I came for because every other aisle is closed off or otherwise blocked with forklifts, pallets, employees stocking shelves .......

That is a pet peeve of mine as well, Big Al. Also in BigC as well. Never seen the problem in Tops to date.

Pay them a higher shift differential and make the stock clerks work during the closing hours for chrissakes.

That is a pet peeve of mine as well, Big Al. Also in BigC as well. Never seen the problem in Tops to date.

Pay them a higher shift differential and make the stock clerks work during the closing hours for chrissakes.

This is Makro's mo nation wide.monkeywack

Why the fork can't they stock the shelves at Makro at night? I leave there with only half of what I came for because every other aisle is closed off or otherwise blocked with forklifts, pallets, employees stocking shelves .......

Thankfully, Buriram seems to be better than for Surin for this.

I have done my Mr Angry bit once when 3 sois were closed off at the same time. I pointed out that it should not be beyond the wit of man to organise themselves so as to ensure that only one soi was closed off at any one time (perhaps utilising additional staff who would otherwise try and close off other sois).

I think they appreciated my input.

Another gripe - why does a place like Makro have a 10 items or less check out. FFS.

A final gripe - the Mom and Pop shopkeepers should be forced to change their wads of 20 Bahts at the information counter before shopping - and NOT produce 12,000 Bahts worth at the checkout (which the cashier proceeds to check 3 times!).

I just step over the chain, rope or whatever and go grab what I want. If they try to stop me, I ask them nicely to go get it for me.

There seem to be truckloads arriving all the time. I doubt they have a storeroom large enough to accommodate everything till closing time. At least they have customer safety in mind which is an improvement on many Thai locations.

I think yet another thread topic has been hijacked! Let's go back to "Motoring in Surin Town".

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankfully, Buriram seems to be better than for Surin for this.

I have done my Mr Angry bit once when 3 sois were closed off at the same time. I pointed out that it should not be beyond the wit of man to organise themselves so as to ensure that only one soi was closed off at any one time (perhaps utilising additional staff who would otherwise try and close off other sois).

I think they appreciated my input.

Another gripe - why does a place like Makro have a 10 items or less check out. FFS.

A final gripe - the Mom and Pop shopkeepers should be forced to change their wads of 20 Bahts at the information counter before shopping - and NOT produce 12,000 Bahts worth at the checkout (which the cashier proceeds to check 3 times!).

The 10 items or less check out is there to facilitate those poor bastards that cannot buy what they want either because the aisles are closed, or Makro isn[FONT=&quot]’t stocking what they bought on the previous occasion.[/FONT]

Recently I found no boxes of biscuits, no Kraftkorn bread, no Vintage cheese and no ice cream - all of which would have completely filled my trolley had it been available. Alas on that occasion the 10 items or less check out was not open!

Back to topic...........The entrance/exit to Makro are together (unlike Buriram where they are completely separate). Thai motorists departing seem to have no appreciation that there are incoming vehicles, as they swing wide when leaving, causing new customers to brake hard to avoid collisions! Just another example of the fact that they have little or no appreciation of anything on the roads!

Last edited:
Quite apart from all the traffic lights on the way there (that's to keep on topic for you, Bill), I detest the Surin Makro. The Buriram one is far better. I've found the staff in both very helpful. Of course things sometimes go out of stock; this is bound to happen.

The BigCs in both places share one great feature; the store layout (mutatis mutandis) is the same in both. I know the Buriram store well, and on the rare occasions I go to the Surin store, I can find everything straightaway.

Last edited:
Quite apart from all the traffic lights on the way there (that's to keep on topic for you, Bill), I detest the Surin Makro. The Buriram one is far better. I've found the staff in both very helpful. Of course things sometimes go out of stock; this is bound to happen.

The BigCs in both places share one great feature; the store layout (mutatis mutandis) is the same in both. I know the Buriram store well, and on the rare occasions I go to the Surin store, I can find everything straightaway.

Not so IB.

In Buriram, phone, computer,and electrical goods are immediately to the left front of the store, whilst stationary is at the rear. In Surin, stationary comes first to the left, with phone, computer and electrical goods at the extreme left rear.. Admittedly foodtuffs are more or less in the same location.

Not so IB.

In Buriram, phone, computer,and electrical goods are immediately to the left front of the store, whilst stationary is at the rear. In Surin, stationary comes first to the left, with phone, computer and electrical goods at the extreme left rear.. Admittedly foodtuffs are more or less in the same location.

STATIONARY ?? boobs2

Back