NatWest International

Yorky

Fullritis Member
Strange occurrence today.

I attempted to log on to my NatWest International account in IoM but was told my customer number/PIN number/password was incorrect (or one of them was). I tried again (I've had the same customer number, PIN number and password for over 10 years). Again I received the same response. I didn't wish to try again as I could have been locked out so I contacted customer service. The robot was a waste of space as it only had around 10 questions/answers with which it could deal so I asked for a human.

First of all the human requested my name and customer number which she confirmed matched. Then my account number and bank sort code which did not match. She said my account didn't exist and asked had I just opened it. I explained that I'd had the account in RBSI since 1996 although since transferring the account to NatWest about 10 years ago, the number and sort code had changed.

She then took me through a verification process involving my PIN number and password (a selection of digits from each) which I passed (now the customer number, PIN number and password had been confirmed as being correct - by a human. I asked her for the balance of my account which she confirmed (in the region that I thought) and suggested that I use an alternative browser to try to loggon again.

I logged on with an alternative browser successfully.

Last edited:

I attempted to log on to my NatWest International account in IoM but was told my customer number/PIN number/password was incorrect (or one of them was). I tried again (I've had the same customer number, PIN number and password for over 10 years). Again I received the same response. I didn't wish to try again as I could have been locked out so I contacted customer service. The robot was a waste of space as it only had around 10 questions/answers with which it could deal so I asked for a human.

First of all the human requested by name and customer number which she confirmed matched. Then my account number and bank sort code which did not match. She said my account didn't exist and asked had I just opened it. I explained that I'd had the account in RBSI since 1996 although since transferring the account to NatWest about 10 years ago, the number and sort code had changed.

She then took me through a verification process involving my PIN number and password (a selection of digits from each) which I passed (now the customer number, PIN number and password had been confirmed as being correct - by a human. I asked her for the balance of my account which she confirmed (in the region that I thought) and suggested that I use an alternative browser to try to loggon again.

Glad I Ieft some humans there, when I reviewed every job on the island a long time ago.

First of all the human requested my name and customer number which she confirmed matched. Then my account number and bank sort code which did not match. She said my account didn't exist and asked had I just opened it. I explained that I'd had the account in RBSI since 1996 although since transferring the account to NatWest about 10 years ago, the number and sort code had changed.

A 'human' should never request your password...nor should you provide it.

I couldn't tell.

"PIN number and password (a selection of digits from each)"

Have you ever used "telephone banking"?

No. What is telephone banking ?

I open an online banking app of a financial institution stateside that requests my user name and password.
I can conduct almost all of my necessary banking within that app without any issues from my iPad.

Last edited:
My wife had the same problem yesterday with her online Kasikorn account. Pin/and or User name incorrect. Trying to find time to phone HO and sort it out.

It was popular in the 90s and early 21st century. As far as I know it's more or less defunct now.

I open an online banking app of a financial institution stateside that requests my user name and password.
I can conduct almost all of my necessary banking within that app without any issues from my iPad.

The issues were not because of an app or the computer that I use (as far as I know) it was a hiccough in the bank's system (again, as far as I know).

When you conduct your banking online are you required to confirm certain elements of your username and/or password in order to gain access to your account?

When you conduct your banking online are you required to confirm certain elements of your username and/or password in order to gain access to your account?

Not sure what you mean by "certain elements".

I must enter the entire correct user name and password to gain access to my account(s).
This holds true with any secure financial institution online app.

Not sure what you mean by "certain elements".

I must enter the entire correct user name and password to gain access to my account(s).
This holds true with any secure financial institution online app.

You appear to be contradicting your warning in post #3.

Sorry, yes. My entire username is required but only elements (certain requested digits) of my PIN number and 12 digit password. Thereafter a further 6 digit number is messaged to my handphone which I then need to input to continue. Then I am able to access and view my account.

If I then require to conduct a financial transaction, I need to use my card and it's reader to view and thereafter submit the further six digit code displayed (in full) to continue with the transaction. I believe that code expires after 10 minutes.

Last edited:
These are the first 3 stages. (I appreciate that @nomad97 is able to conduct financial transactions with two or three keystrokes but I am with a different bank.)

NatWest login.jpg
Obviously the stipulated numbers required from your PIN and password are different each time that you log in.

I use a different bank in the UK, accessing my accounts using either online and telephone banking at will. I have an electronic code generator to provide a code after entering my username, and that enables access to make or view transactions online. Should I need to call them, there is a security procedure that's similar to those described in posts above, but it NEVER requests any digits from my PIN number which - as any security conscious user will know - must never be disclosed. Providing some digits of the PIN number can be dangerous: an unscrupulous individual might ask for the first and third digit (for example) and retain those. Any request on a subsequent call (and I've experienced several as a result of calls being dropped) for other digits might potentially provide the full PIN code with serious consequences. Instead, my bank allocated a telephone banking alpha-numeric code of my choosing which cannot compromise the PIN number if parts of the former are requested for security ID purposes.

I had both telephone and online Internet banking with Lloyds International, Isle of Man. For the telephone banking, I was asked my name and a certain 2 from 8 letters of my password. For Internet banking, I had 2 options, one that required my 9-digit ID number, followed by my password, and then 3 random letters from my personal information (12 alpha/numerics). The second was somewhat easier, which required only my fingerprint from my smartphone fingerprint recognition system. This bank account was closed some 6 months ago.

I am now with Wise and use email + password from my PC log-on + my fingerprint from my dedicated phone when they call back to confirm it is me.

Some months ago, I had the same issue using Google---so I tried Firefox and no problems.

Some months ago, I had the same issue using Google---so I tried Firefox and no problems.

I cannot understand why it would be but maybe it's as a result of clearing the "cache", an action that I took last week.

These are the first 3 stages. (I appreciate that @nomad97 is able to conduct financial transactions with two or three keystrokes but I am with a different bank.)

Obviously the stipulated numbers required from your PIN and password are different each time that you log in.

Personally I've never encountered an app like that one.

For me only the Social Security Administration's (SSA) "let us know you're alive every three months" reporting following my user name and password sends an additional numerical code to my designated contact e-address to be entered on their app for me to access my account on the SSA website.

Edit: website

Last edited:
I am now with Wise and use email + password from my PC log-on + my fingerprint from my dedicated phone when they call back to confirm it is me.

The only disadvantage that I can envisage when using fingerprints is that when I snuff it, unless she chops off my finger, my wife will not have access to my account.

Back