New airport Rumor!

I am near Pisan. I take the 24 to Sikhio, the 2 to Saraburi, the 1 to Kanchanapisek road to Swampy. For most of the route I set the cruise control to 110km/h (never had a ticket, unlike the missus who has been hit 3 times by the camera to Sikhio).

What route do you recommend?

I might not take it though as we like to stop off at Khao Yai to eat or food shopping at the big Tesco Lotus.

Also the company pays for the travel, so not too bothered by the quickest route, but if there is one, I'll have a look.
I've seen a speed ticket from that location at 104km/hr!!

I'm still waiting with bated breath for the route COCO......... NOT sarcasm, I really am!

Sorry Adam, been in Pattaya with limited internet access.

IMO........ The best route is to turn left at the main PKC traffic lights. Right towards Phanom Rung then left at the poster of the queen and wind your way (past my house) to Yai Yam and Lahansai. Then to Non Din Dang and over the mountain to Wattana Nakhon. There you pickup the 359 which is the road from Aranyaprathet. Dual carriageway then all the way. The 359 then joins the 304 and you head through Chachoengsao on to the number 7 motorway into Suvatnabhumi airport.

Better if you search Google maps for Paisan to Swampy you will see the route for yourself. You can go to Nang Rong and take a left to Pakham and Lahansai.

Personally, I hate the number 2 road and will only use it when I have to i.e. going to Don Mueang.

Sorry Adam, been in Pattaya with limited internet access.

IMO........ The best route is to turn left at the main PKC traffic lights. Right towards Phanom Rung then left at the poster of the queen and wind your way (past my house) to Yai Yam and Lahansai. Then to Non Din Dang and over the mountain to Wattana Nakhon. There you pickup the 359 which is the road from Aranyaprathet. Dual carriageway then all the way. The 359 then joins the 304 and you head through Chachoengsao on to the number 7 motorway into Suvatnabhumi airport.

Better if you search Google maps for Paisan to Swampy you will see the route for yourself. You can go to Nang Rong and take a left to Pakham and Lahansai.

Personally, I hate the number 2 road and will only use it when I have to i.e. going to Don Mueang.

I have taken that route before, has the road improved? I found it very slow until you get to Nong Din Daeng, twisty. Last time I went that way was back when they had the big floods and couldn't go any other way! The route I take now is only dodgy on the mountain if there is a lot of traffic, otherwise we seem to flow nicely. From your starting point, it makes sense.

I have taken that route before, has the road improved? I found it very slow until you get to Nong Din Daeng, twisty. Last time I went that way was back when they had the big floods and couldn't go any other way! The route I take now is only dodgy on the mountain if there is a lot of traffic, otherwise we seem to flow nicely. From your starting point, it makes sense.

Our starting points are not that different - yes, I am a bit further down the route. Most people I know from Surin and Buriram take this route.

Got back this morning from Pattaya in 3 hours 30 mins. The roads were excellent - I am, of course, pretty familiar with the route and whilst it is mainly single carriageway to Wattana Nakhon it is not normally overly congested.

Nick's early start theory helped this morning..... a 05:40 start out of Pattaya made a big difference in the ground covered in the first 2 hours.

Last edited:
Our starting points are not that different - yes, I am a bit further down the route. Most people I know from Surin and Buriram take this route.

Got back this morning from Pattaya in 3 hours 30 mins. The roads were excellent - I am, of course, pretty familiar with the route and whilst it is mainly single carriageway to Wattana Nakhon it is not normally overly congested.

Nick's early start theory helped this morning..... a 05:40 start out of Pattaya made a big difference in the ground covered in the first 2 hours.

What is your average speed, would you say?

What is your average speed, would you say?

Google maps says my journey is 370 km so I make that 105 km/ph.

That average is helped by the fast sections in the first hour or two and a clear road up the 359. Plus, no pee stops as I was on my own - just one refueling stop.

Going the other way, I barely cover 90 km in the first hour.

Maybe it is just the luck of the draw or familiarity of the route, but once I get to the 24 (which takes me 20 minutes on mostly dirt roads, I really do live in a remote spot!!)
I do 110 practically all the way. I could go faster if I didn't worry about getting stopped (also luck of the draw it seems).

But as I said, bottom line I might save 30 mins - an hour going your way once I know the route, but at the moment that is not important to me. I enjoy the time in the car with the kids, we sing we play games etc. It is part of going to work (or coming home). While they still enjoy it, I need to make the most of it.

Maybe it is just the luck of the draw or familiarity of the route, but once I get to the 24 (which takes me 20 minutes on mostly dirt roads, I really do live in a remote spot!!)
I do 110 practically all the way. I could go faster if I didn't worry about getting stopped (also luck of the draw it seems).

But as I said, bottom line I might save 30 mins - an hour going your way once I know the route, but at the moment that is not important to me. I enjoy the time in the car with the kids, we sing we play games etc. It is part of going to work (or coming home). While they still enjoy it, I need to make the most of it.

If you drive for the aesthetics then Isaan is not the best place. :)

That said, I would choose the 304 as it is more scenic over that mountain and affords better views over Khao Yai.

As I also said, I am biased, I have never liked the No 2 road - even less the No 1 road. The 24 has also generally improved if you do like that route.

Back