New one way streets in Surin city 16.2.2015

The funny thing about living on a flat platau. Where is the water going to go to from this new flood mitigation?. I know ! Sri Boran Rd canal !!??.

For those who remember, there was a large scale drainage system put in the road running alongside the general hospital or the klong a few years ago. That did cause a lot of congestion at the time but fortunately I was not on the same school run at the time. I think I saw a map that showed the water going NNW from the town center to a lake a few kilometers out of town. A quick look on Google Earth shows the schools at an elevation of 492 feet while the lake 15 kilometers NNW of town is lower at 458 feet. In turn, the water runs into another reservoir before continuing to a river that eventually runs into the Mun river at Tha Tum, 50 odd kilometers North of Surin.. Tha Tum is 423 feet above sea level. Out of interest, Kap Choeng is 720 feet above sea level. Therefore, whilst not obvious to the eye, the plateau that Surin sits on may be flat but is tilted. Water runs from South to North.

It looks like they started work on the one-way system yesterday. On the afternoon school run I noticed that they had carved a large gap in the central reservation opposite the vocational college.

I noticed that too, Nomad, as it is right where I collect and drop off the grandson at Nursery. I too wondered whether it was connected to the possible one-way system but couldn't work how it might help. Any ideas?

I noticed that too, Nomad, as it is right where I collect and drop off the grandson at Nursery. I too wondered whether it was connected to the possible one-way system but couldn't work how it might help. Any ideas?

Not yet!

I see today they have started on another gap further up. Something is afoot!

Yep, the beginnings of another gap opposite the entrance to the road running alongside Anubarnsurin School. Very mysterious - perhaps aliens have landed.

Yep, the beginnings of another gap opposite the entrance to the road running alongside Anubarnsurin School. Very mysterious - perhaps aliens have landed.

I thought you, I and most of the other members of this forum were the only aliens around here, Nomad.

This was posted on Farcebook overnight:

one way.jpg

That's as large as it gets, but it appears to indicate that the school buses will have nowhere to park up when work starts.

Thanks Yorky, the town planner is a frigging idiot!

The busiest road in town and the idiots are putting in the drainage system on the side of the road that runs past 1 vocational college, 1 kindergarten & junior school and 1 secondary school. FFS there must be well over 12,000 kids to get to school and back again every day of the week. How the fcuk is anyone going to get their children to and from school with those road works going on? Its bad enough now but with that lot going on I think it will be impossible. Now, if they put the drain on the other side of the road we would have had a fighting chance. Doom and gloom mak, mak!

P.S. This is not a one-way system. It is a counter-flow. With a one-way system we may have had a chance too.

10460550_871774512844209_407737014010835290_n.jpg 10987704_871774582844202_6762328342578539109_n.jpg

But it looks like no parking anywhere .....................

19426_591720437630536_4658470735371635623_n.jpg 11001875_591720204297226_3525092609976988457_n.jpg

I think its time to give the kids an extended holiday - maybe they are planning (and that's a big ask) to do the work during the school holidays.

Rice, we need your help. Any chance of gleaming the salient points from the letter above. Thanks.

Thanks there NM. I had to grab my big Thai Dictionary there was terms in that I had never seen.

It would have to be the most dosed with syrup notice I have ever read.

I kowtow to the citizens of Surin in great apologies for the inconvenience that fixing the wok shaped area that collects water all the time. Specially to all the drivers that use these roads. You know I love all the citizens of Surin.

(I won't go in to the area as you know it.)

It goes on to say that it will be necessary to prohibit parking in the area between the times of 0630 - 0900 and 1500 - 1800.

It doesn't say anything about one way traffic just restricting the road size.

I guess by the wording he is expecting a backlash.

Lmao1lmao1lmao1lmao1lmao1

I did say, "(and that's a big ask)". I honestly do not know how they can do the work and keep the schools open at the same time. It's very difficult to do the school run on most days of the week already - with the road works - absolutely impossible. Just my humble opinion, from one who does the school run 10 times a week, every week the schools are open.

I just got home from picking up the grandson from Nursery. I asked the owner there about the traffic plan and he told me it will start this Saturday and probably continue for months.

He reckons that they have an extra lane outside the premises allowing parents to collect and drop off their children.
"What happens if there is no space when I turn up? I asked. Call us and we will bring the child out to you as you pass, he said. Sounds like this is going to be fun and games from Monday!

I just got home from picking up the grandson from Nursery. I asked the owner there about the traffic plan and he told me it will start this Saturday and probably continue for months.

He reckons that they have an extra lane outside the premises allowing parents to collect and drop off their children.
"What happens if there is no space when I turn up? I asked. Call us and we will bring the child out to you as you pass, he said. Sounds like this is going to be fun and games from Monday!

So you stop to pick up your child and block the cars following. I stop to pick up my children and I block the cars following. 5,000 cars with parents stop their cars to pick up their children and the whole place is grid-locked. And where do you think all those school commuter buses are going to park? It's going to be an absolute mess and Somchai has no patience! Be very lucky to do the school run in less than 3 hours and without a kilometer or two walk thrown in for good measure. Wait and see.

Went to look what was happening around 10h30 this morning. They have started digging up the road at the western end of the main school drag. Traffic was being restricted to one lane and there were high-visibility jacket-wearing marshals waving their arms about and blowing whistles.

This does not bode well for Monday! Take your emergency rations, Nomad.

Went through again about 16h30, east to west. Took a while as the traffic was being funneled down into one lane. No sign of an extra lane on the other side and no parking restrictions there.
By this time the marshals were waving their arms around rather less energetically.
They were holding us up to allow cars to emerge from the school and turn right through one of the newly carved gaps in the central reservation.
That suggests to me that parents are going to be able to drive in to the school campuses to collect their kids....just maybe?

Went to look what was happening around 10h30 this morning. They have started digging up the road at the western end of the main school drag. Traffic was being restricted to one lane and there were high-visibility jacket-wearing marshals waving their arms about and blowing whistles.

This does not bode well for Monday! Take your emergency rations, Nomad.

The children can eat their breakfast in the car, a la traffic chaos on school runs in Bangkok.

Did you get home yet, Nomad? You have been very quiet on this topic for a length of time that makes me worry you might be still out there gridlocked.

It was more or less OK for me today but the road works are still at a very early stage.

Back