New Railway Station

The SRT is a run down institution to it's core. Look at the Airport link recent story. They should not waste any money and wait, maybe forever, for the new fast train system the Chinese want to finance. But Thais will have to pay in blood for this, and are getting quite wary, as they well should. A democratically elected government would just take the kick backs and damn the country to hell. There is definite merit in the Junta.

The SRT is a run down institution to it's core. Look at the Airport link recent story. They should not waste any money and wait, maybe forever, for the new fast train system the Chinese want to finance. But Thais will have to pay in blood for this, and are getting quite wary, as they well should. A democratically elected government would just take the kick backs and damn the country to hell. There is definite merit in the Junta.
So do I take it that you think the heir-achy of the Military junta are all as white as white?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its going to be a very long wait..

Thailand to go it alone on Thai-Sino high-speed rail

Please credit and share this article with others using this link:http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/908328/thailand-to-go-it-alone-on-thai-sino-high-speed-rail. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. © Post Publishing PCL. All rights reserved.

I deliberately refrained from posting any comments earlier, I though I would wait and see what you guys thought. Personally, as I said to my wife, I quite like the 'new' railway station that we already have. Its only just been refurbished and, more to the point, it is completely adequate, or better, for the needs of the travelling public with the limited number of trains that we get each day. The new project is a total waste of money, IMHO.

One possibility occurs to me: 3 years ago, land prices were not so high here in Surin, and house prices were modest enough. Then came the rhetoric that Surin would become the gateway to ASEAN, and the moneylenders made hay. Land prices shot up. Project developers raised their new house prices. Banks welcomed borrowers. Ordinary folk borrowed to the hilt (and beyond) imagining that Manna was about to fall from Heaven. Instead, we have a city full of empty shop and restaurant premises. Apartments lie empty, repossessions are no longer unusual, but developers and borrowers are STILL convinced that the road to Cambodia is paved with gold...

A few locals with whom I have discussed this agree with me that the opportunity presented to Thailand by ASEAN is no more than an empty promise, and that it is a certainty that the whole house of cards is in danger of imminent collapse. How better then to raise the hopes of those questioning when their fortunes will change for the better than to build a new railway station and to reopen the airport to cater for those who will bring sacks of gold to Surin in future?

Smoke and mirrors.

One possibility occurs to me: 3 years ago, land prices were not so high here in Surin, and house prices were modest enough. Then came the rhetoric that Surin would become the gateway to ASEAN, and the moneylenders made hay. Land prices shot up. Project developers raised their new house prices. Banks welcomed borrowers. Ordinary folk borrowed to the hilt (and beyond) imagining that Manna was about to fall from Heaven. Instead, we have a city full of empty shop and restaurant premises. Apartments lie empty, repossessions are no longer unusual, but developers and borrowers are STILL convinced that the road to Cambodia is paved with gold...

A few locals with whom I have discussed this agree with me that the opportunity presented to Thailand by ASEAN is no more than an empty promise, and that it is a certainty that the whole house of cards is in danger of imminent collapse. How better then to raise the hopes of those questioning when their fortunes will change for the better than to build a new railway station and to reopen the airport to cater for those who will bring sacks of gold to Surin in future?

Smoke and mirrors.

I was at the Chong Chom market this morning early about 630am. f**kING shit hole and out right NO Kamers. Surin and Thailand have their heads up their ass.

Succinct as ever, GL. I think you said more or less the same in 30 words as Merlin did in considerably more. You are, in your different styles, both right!

And have you seen the plans for the new town hall? Now if you think the railway station is OTT just wait till you see the new city hall. They are going to build the new facility on the grounds occupied by the cattle market on the ring road. If you thought the city hall in Buriram was quite big wait till you see the plans for Surin's new building. I'll try and find pictures later.

And have you seen the plans for the new town hall? Now if you think the railway station is OTT just wait till you see the new city hall. They are going to build the new facility on the grounds occupied by the cattle market on the ring road. If you thought the city hall in Buriram was quite big wait till you see the plans for Surin's new building. I'll try and find pictures later.

Is this the place you mean?
.City hall 3.jpg
. .City hall 1.jpg

Yes GL, that's the place I was talking about. Can't seem to find the full set of pictures as I think they were originally in Thai.

townhall 2.jpeg

townhall 1.jpeg

OTT 900 million Baht, OMG! No wonder that land tax sky rocketed this year from 70b/Rai to 100b/Rai. 10 years ago it was 17b.
That is 500% in 10 years. Kind of thumps out rule of thumb appreciation at 100% over 10 year period.

Back