O Visa extension 1 year, oops temporary stay, Surin City Thailand

lightfoot

Surin Legend
O Visa extension, oops temporary stay, Surin City Thailand
90 day report due 1 November, 45 days before extension expired.

Wow, full day job with an error in my judgment delegating the process of obtaining verification of funds letter from Bangkok Bank in Lamduan by my wonderful spouse "depending on the situation". The bank took over one hour by inept staff and a manager sitting at his desk doing nothing as described by the wifey.

The drive to the somewhat sterile government building in Surin is about same distance, more convenient quaint immigration office and building in Kap Choeng.
Decision to go to Surin city immigration was based on several unpleasant experiences in reports pertaining to one of the lady boss in KC on surinfarang forum.

Upon arriving at Government office building I drove around to the back and Parked my vehicle. Remarkable, there was almost a traffic jam of unoccupied vehicles parked along the way and in the back of the building. Where were all the people ?

Proceeded in the back doors to the elevators, ascended to third floor. Out of the lift took a right, immigration office was a very few meters down the hall on the left, double doors.
Upon entering there was a lady at the desk in front of the doors taking, checking & working on paperwork, four desks with officers behind her in a row with a group of chairs in front of them. There were two other desks to the right side of the chairs on the far right hand side of the immigration office for the two lady's appearing to be the top bosses.

My paperwork was sent to the far right desk of the four officers, I took a chair in front of this officer, there was a clear plastic Covid protection between us with the slide through underneath.
Mr. Officer brought my-are attention to the improper letter from BKK bank Lamduan, had to correct the letter. He showed me what he wanted from a big book he went to collect with a copy of proper letter in it, I took a photo to show the bank.

Mai pen rai, it was lunchtime, he was ready for a little lunch and we were off to do the same at Robinsons and collect a proper letter from the BBK branch in Robinsons.

Back to the office, went to the same officer, repeat as before with the letter obtained at Robinsons.
The officer had already compiled the paperwork, I signed my name on application, penalties for overstay, copy I supplied of my yellow house book, pink Thai ID card.
Spouse signed back of application, penalty of overstay, copy of her blue house book & ID.
Spouse signing back of application, penalties of overstate was a first for me.

With everything complete the officer took the paperwork to the left desk of the row of officers. The gentleman officer manning this desk took my photo for their records, then took passport & paperwork to bosses left desk on the far right are the office.
Lady boss signed the extension in my passport.

Everything went smooth excluding the hiccup with retirement funds verification letter.
I didn't have the feeling officers were doing me a favor or looking for perks.
I think that was a first for me.

Upon finishing everything and getting ready to leave the other lady boss (her desk was on the right of the two desks on the far right hand side of the office) came back to the office, she was cordial. I acknowledged her with a wai, she reciprocated.

Out the door with one more year and a new 90 day report.

Last edited:
I should of put this out before. Here in Thai is what is required from the bank. For extension for Thai wife or retirement.
Cut and paste it on to a card of what ever and show it to the bank. The first is "Account balance certificate" The second is a request for a 3 month statement of your account.

หนังสือรับรองยอดบัญชี

พิมพ์ใบแจ้งยอดธนาคาร 3 เดือน

Bye the way it does not say "Put the money into a bag" 555555555.:smile:

Mr. Officer brought my-are attention to the improper letter from BKK bank Lamduan, had to correct the letter. He showed me what he wanted from a big book he went to collect with a copy of proper letter in it, I took a photo to show the bank.

Could you clarify the discrepancy please? It could be of benefit to others in a similar situation.

Could you clarify the discrepancy please? It could be of benefit to others in a similar situation.
Clarification, Mr. Officer brought my-are ( me and spouse} attention to the improper letter from BKK bank Lamduan. Or if you want another wording,,,,, Mr. Officer brought attention to the improper letter from BKK bank Lamduan

Clarification, Mr. Officer brought my-are ( me and spouse} attention to the improper letter from BKK bank Lamduan. Or if you want another wording,,,,, Mr. Officer brought attention to the improper letter from BKK bank Lamduan

OK, sorry. I obviously wasn't clear in my request.

What was improper about the letter from the bank?

Wording?

OK, sorry. I obviously wasn't clear in my request.

What was improper about the letter from the bank?

Wording?
Lamduan Bank staff did not update my bank book for retirement funds and supply a letter with my name on it stating adequate funds (the current balance of the account) were & are deposited in the bank for the required time, stamped with their bank stamp.
The stamped letter they gave me just had 800,000 on it, not correct total.

BKK bank Robinsons supplied a proper letter with the current balance in my retirement account matching the retirement bank book we updated at Robinsons.

Watching the officer that was working with me he wanted to see a copy of the updated Bank book and stamped letter from the bank with the sums of baht matching in both.

Impression
, copy of the bank proves funds have remained in the bank for the required time ? I don't think it's the banks responsibility to confirm the required amount of baht remains in the account for the duration of time immigration requires ?

Hope this clarifies your question !

Question, is it possible to have funds in Thailand deposited in a bank in your native currency required for extension of temporary state one year ?
I don't plan on going that way, it's a little late now, that would be US dollars for me.

Last edited:
Lamduan Bank staff did not update my bank book for retirement funds and supply a letter with my name on it stating adequate funds (the current balance of the account) were & are deposited in the bank for the required time, stamped with their bank stamp.

BKK bank Robinsons supplied a proper letter with the current balance in my retirement account matching the retirement bank book we updated at Robinsons.

Watching the officer that was working with me he wanted to see a copy of the updated Bank book and stamped letter from the bank with the sums of baht matching in both.

Impression
, copy of the bank proves funds have remained in the bank for the required time ? I don't think it's the banks responsibility to confirm the required amount of baht remains in the account for the duration of time immigration requires ?

Hope this clarifies your question !

Question, is it possible to have funds in Thailand deposited in a bank in your native currency required for extension of temporary state one year ?
I don't plan on going that way, it's a little late now, that would be US dollars for me.
Yes.

I did point out in my October 12th post (#8) that I was required to produce, in May, "Copies of my bank passbook (all pages) with the final transaction dated the same day. The balance needs to be sufficient to satisfy the monetary requirements for your extension. (Please ensure that the balance shown is exactly the same as the letter from the bank)"

My experience of smoothness was almost identical to what others (ie: lightfoot) had reported earlier.

I was in the bank queue waiting to make and receive my 90-day letter of seasoning almost as long as I was at the Imm office within the Surin Govt Bldg.
Of course there were less customers within Imm albeit more employees at bank.

Maybe I provided seven pieces of paper plus a photograph before signing a flurry of papers at Immigration. My darling provided a copy of her blue book and ID and signed the papers as well.

After taking my computerized image my total paper packet in the IO's hands probably totaled 20 pages...thankfully their copy and print machines worked flawlessly. No fingerprint was required.

There was no SWMBO to sign off my extension based on Retirement as the IO on duty did it himself. I did not inquire his rank.

All in this procedure of extension possibly took one hours time.
All questions were directed in Thai to my darling. I never said boo.
I was told I have a "NON-RE" and that is exactly what the stamp in my passport reads.

Very courteous experience of governmental interface with little to no chit-chat by the three personnel. (Facemasks can be funny like that.)

Back