Rocket loses control, kills 2 at Sri Saket festival

gotlost

Kap Chong R Us Member
Rocket loses control, kills 2 at Sri Saket festival
By Coconuts Bangkok

rocket1.jpg

SRI SAKET: -- Two people were killed after a homemade rocket fell on them yesterday at the famous Rocket Festival in Sri Saket province.

During the last launch of the day to close the Boon Bang Fai festival, a rocket fell from the sky after launch to hit four people, killing Sukid Pongon, 51, and Soontorn Panwilai, 38, instantly.

Meanwhile, Bandit Chanpanya, 33, lost his right arm and was seriously injured while Tongsuai Simanee, 44, suffered a minor injury to her leg. They were later transferred to a hospital in Ubon Ratchathani.

Full story: http://bangkok.cocon...-saket-festival

-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-05-18

From TV

Surprised there is not more each year.

Thais have a healthy disregard for their own personal safety.
A couple years a go at the villages own Bung Fai. The balloon seller had his stall right near the launch platform. What is dangerous about this Hmmm.

Well he was making his own Hydrogen in a huge tank with caustic soda.
Then storing the highly flamable balloons near by.
All this adds up to A huge Hydrogen fuelled explosion. I left the area promptly.

Some farangs wonder why balloons are banned on public transport here.
They fill them with Hydrogen, its cheap.
A Hydrogen balloon will ignite spontaneously for any reason and burn at 1250 deg celsius.

Surprised there is not more each year.

Thais have a healthy disregard for their own personal safety.
A couple years a go at the villages own Bung Fai. The balloon seller had his stall right near the launch platform. What is dangerous about this Hmmm.

Well he was making his own Hydrogen in a huge tank with caustic soda.
Then storing the highly flamable balloons near by.
All this adds up to A huge Hydrogen fuelled explosion. I left the area promptly.

Some farangs wonder why balloons are banned on public transport here.
They fill them with Hydrogen, its cheap.
A Hydrogen balloon will ignite spontaneously for any reason and burn at 1250 deg celsius.

I agree Rice, just ask the crew of the Graff Zeplin.
As part of our manganese heavy media separation process, we use Ferro silicone-FeSi as an integral part of the process.
The big down side to this is, when FeSi starts to decompose due to constant contact with water, it produces hydrogen gas.
When the heavy media is in full suspension, the decomposure does not occur but, when we scuttle the plant for maintenance, we need to add massive amounts of Sodium Nitrate to defuse the decomposition.
It has happened that, the correct doses were not added and, you guessed it, Ka boom.
No one was injured, luckily but, treating this stuff with the respect it deserves is a life saving rule.

I love fireworks and large rockets but my wife will not let me go to any of these Bung Fai festivals. I think my wife loves me very much. Hug1

Back