sending important documents to UK

J

johnb

I shall be applying for my UK state pension later this month.

I have to send some important documents along with the completed application form.

I would appreciate guidance on the safest way to post this rather important envelope from Surin to the UK. Thanks in advance for your advice and stories of past experiences.

I shall be applying for my UK state pension later this month.

I have to send some important documents along with the completed application form.

I would appreciate guidance on the safest way to post this rather important envelope from Surin to the UK. Thanks in advance for your advice and stories of past experiences.

I used EMS from the post office. Its tracked all the way and you can follows progress via your PC.

Sorry, did not see the topic before now. EMS is a reliable way to get your documents to the UK although expensive. A significantly cheaper way is to send your documents via airmail with the additional tracker service. Typically, a large envelope could cost 900 Baht via EMS and only 100 Baht Airmail + Tracker Service.

I did write up my story last September about sending a cheque via EMS to my Isle of Man bank account. It went to Swampy Airport and came back to Surin 4 days later where it sat on the Postmaster's desk for the next 4 weeks, (the small post office near the Elephant roundabout). Only found it when I was checking the non-receipt of the cheque into my UK bank account and then logged onto the tracker service. This cost 900 Baht and the reason for non delivery, "We do not have a courier service in the Isle of Man". I then sent the same letter Airmail + tracker service for less than 100 Baht. Got there within a couple of days. I posted this second letter through the main post office. I doubt that I will use the small post office ever again - they are all retards down there!

And, I will add this to my last post, a regular postman who works out of the main post office confirmed my opinion that they are all retards in that little post office. When my wife told him the story of the missing EMS letter and how it sat in the office with no one doing anything about it he laughed. He added words to the effect, "What do you expect - the office is staffed by those who did not make the grade to work in the main post office". For your further information, my home address and telephone number was clearly marked on the letter. It would not have taken too much initiative to pick up the phone and make a short call or even to put a non-delivery card through my letterbox to let me know it had not been sent. They did neither - too much trouble. Finally, it took a further couple of months and numerous visits to get a full refund of the original 900 Baht. The printed information on the 'tracker service' was the only notification that I was entitled to a full refund. Left to their own devices I would have received nothing from that bunch of retards, oops, professionals!

EMS is a rip off. Use registered post or, even better, send the docs back with someone who is returning to/visiting the UK.

I had urgent gear sent by EMS from Bangkok and waited for a couple of days...tracked it to Korat and then watched as it sat in the Surin Post Office for 3 days. Could have had the parcel up by truck for 200 baht within a day and a half...but needed it next day as they claim it would be.

Yes, very frustrating. For your information, if you need to have stuff sent from Bangkok to Surin, usually overnight, there are private delivery firms trucking stuff every day. Moreover, their rates are relatively cheap, much cheaper than you would expect. We now use them for trucking shirts from Bangkok to Top Tees and a large box weighing say 10 kilograms or more only cost a couple of hundred Baht. Its a pretty good service at a very reasonable price.

Following advice here I posted my pension application forms using registered air mail.

Tracking the package on the internet, I can see it left Surin on the 20th Jan, arrived Suvarnabhum on the 21st and arrived at GBLALA (the Langley reception depot next to Heathrow) on the 24th....since when all has gone quiet.

Do any of you guys have experience of this registered mail service? Will the tracking show when it is actually received at its intended destination or does it all fizzle out once it has been accepted into the UK system?

Following advice here I posted my pension application forms using registered air mail.

Tracking the package on the internet, I can see it left Surin on the 20th Jan, arrived Suvarnabhum on the 21st and arrived at GBLALA (the Langley reception depot next to Heathrow) on the 24th....since when all has gone quiet.

Do any of you guys have experience of this registered mail service? Will the tracking show when it is actually received at its intended destination or does it all fizzle out once it has been accepted into the UK system?

Yes it does fizzle out once it arrives in the UK from my experience. Also do not expect any sort of acknowledgement from the Pension Service. The first you will know is a letter arriving in Surin (dated some 3/4 weeks earlier) advising of your pension details. In fact you will quite possibly receive your pension in the bank before you receive any paperwork.

Yes it does fizzle out once it arrives in the UK from my experience. Also do not expect any sort of acknowledgement from the Pension Service. The first you will know is a letter arriving in Surin (dated some 3/4 weeks earlier) advising of your pension details. In fact you will quite possibly receive your pension in the bank before you receive any paperwork.

Just went on the Royal Thai Post Office website once again and tracked my package...now showing delivery successful! Hey...a result! Only 9 days!

As you say, Nick, I'm not expecting feedback from the Pension Service any time soon but it is good to know that at least my application has arrived.

I have today received a letter from the International Pension Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, confirming that I will receive a UK state pension from 28th May 2014 and the amount payable.

I am very impressed...in fact, pretty well incredulous! Just 18 days have passed from posting my application from Surin to receiving the confirmation reply. Just 3 days to actually process my application there at the IPC. Fantastic! Makes you proud to be British!

You were most fortunate John

We at Thai Widows & Expats have 3 claims before the Pension Service for bereavement benefits for Thai widows of British expats. Have heard nothing in over 2 months, and expect it to be 5/6 months -as is normally the case -before any money is paid.

You were most fortunate John

We at Thai Widows & Expats have 3 claims before the Pension Service for bereavement benefits for Thai widows of British expats. Have heard nothing in over 2 months, and expect it to be 5/6 months -as is normally the case -before any money is paid.

Ah......a bit less proud to be British having read that.

My good fortune probably stems from the uncomplicated nature of my claim, at least as the Pension Service would see it...30 years paid into the system, no marriage, divorce or bereavement issues.....a straightforward British chap....no inconvenient Thai connections!

I humbly wish your clients all the best for speedy resolutions to their claims.

Interesting posts (no pun intended!)...

I sent some important docs to the UK via EMS, very successful , and arrived 2 days later; HOWEVER was fairly horrified at the 900baht for an A4 envelope! Advice of the (small!) Lamduan Post Office! It will be reg Air Mail in future! Thanks Guys!

EMS, I believe stands for EXPRESS MAIL SERVICE. It may be quicker internationally, but comes at a huge price. But within Thailand, and especially mail between Pattaya and Buriram, ordinary mail is faster than EMS.

I always use registered mail when sending docs to the UK...100bt as against 900bt EMS.

Back