Starbeam Restaurant - Surin City

Maypo? -Google search for -Maypo-. Maple Flavored Oatmeal? Instant? No, no, no...

uh, -takes Cent aside for a quite talk- Two points my friend. 1] Don't put sugar in Grits. Butter, cheddar, shrimp, a fried egg on top, etc., but no sugar. 2] Stay far, far away from anything instant or comes in a single serve envelope. It just comes out mushy and no flavor. 3] Waffle House is 50/50 hit or miss. Depends how many days it's been simmering. Best to do it at home.

As for the rest, yeah. Except for the beans, it looks like home. Mushrooms, grilled tomato, ham, sausage links, eggs. Love Beans, just not for breakies...

'Fried Toast Bread'. You mean 'Toast'. Butter it and brown it in a skillet. How do you toast bread? Sounds normal to me.

-sterling
Deep fried toast bread.

This is where Thai language removes ambiguity. Well at least most of time.
ขนมปังปิ้ง Khanom pung ping = Toast
ขนมปังทอด Khanom pung tort = Fried bread

So stick that in your toaster and burn it. :tonguewink:
Okay, but "Deep Fried"?

-sterling

In a fry-o-later like you were cooking fries, not done in a skillet. Many of our English customers who love their fried bread toast say we have the best they've ever had. They like it, and that is all that matters really.

Yeah, that would be 'deep fried' all right. Wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing. 'Two peoples separated by a common language' and such.

Never heard of it, much less, seen it.

-sterling

Yeah, that would be 'deep fried' all right. Wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing. 'Two peoples separated by a common language' and such.

Never heard of it, much less, seen it.

-sterling
Try it with an English breakfast some day and see if you like it, or hate it. We usually give one toasted bread and one fried bread with our English breakfast. ;;big smile;;

So what the hell is "Grits" I have heard bandied around by yanks?
"Grits are a type of porridge made from coarsely ground dried maize or hominy,[1] the latter being maize that has been treated with an alkali in a process called nixtamalization, with the pericarp (ovary wall) removed. Grits are cooked in warm salted water or milk. They are often served with flavorings[2] as a breakfast dish. Grits can be savory or sweet, with savory seasonings being more common. Grits are similar to other thick maize-based porridges from around the world, such as polenta and mieliepap. The dish originated in the Southern United States but is now available nationwide. Grits are often part of a dinner entrée shrimp and grits, served primarily in the South.[2]"

An American Native dish actually. Loved down south.

"Grits are a type of porridge made from coarsely ground dried maize or hominy,[1] the latter being maize that has been treated with an alkali in a process called nixtamalization, with the pericarp (ovary wall) removed. Grits are cooked in warm salted water or milk. They are often served with flavorings[2] as a breakfast dish. Grits can be savory or sweet, with savory seasonings being more common. Grits are similar to other thick maize-based porridges from around the world, such as polenta and mieliepap. The dish originated in the Southern United States but is now available nationwide. Grits are often part of a dinner entrée shrimp and grits, served primarily in the South.[2]"

An American Native dish actually. Loved down south.
What you don't mention is "Is it any good?"

What you don't mention is "Is it any good?"
Some love it, some can't stand it. I did not like it when I tried it a couple times many years ago, decades in fact. Tasted like it had sand in it. It is 'gritty'. Hence the name. It's a gritty porridge. They add stuff to it like butter and salt. Me no like. LOL

"Toast" cooked using a fork in front of an open fire is the best: Soft inside, and crispy golden outside, then spread with the best butter and devoured while the next slice is being prepared. Yum yum.

"Fried bread" at home was always cooked in the frying pan in the fat after the bacon etc., had rendered their flavour. A totally different taste and texture. No butter to be added, and it was eaten as a part of the breakfast dish - never on its own.

If you haven't enjoyed them in the above ways yet, go for them now!!!

Fried okra is a side dish associated with the cuisine of the Southern United States, particularly soul food. It is made by coating sliced okra in cornmeal and then frying it. 1712569647142.png ;;big smile;; ;;big smile;; ;;big smile;;

Back