Sun Dog Over Surin

Cent

FORUM SPONSOR
Some crazy circle of a rainbow around the sun right now (pics taken yesterday). A sure sign of crazy weather coming along. I am told this rainbow around the sun is called a 'Sun Dog', in the states at least. Still trying to figure out what the blue orb is by the sun. Thinking it may be a planet, or a f**king UFO, or a spot on the lense. :)

Amazing camera on this new OPPO A83 mobile phone. The filtering is great.

41647216_10216961926382468_1226044559771828224_n.jpg

41688010_10216961926742477_7544181489320067072_n.jpg

41727784_10216961927102486_7067444942712340480_n.jpg

41748659_10216961927302491_7136296717325959168_n.jpg

41695190_10216961927662500_93731012625825792_n.jpg

"These clouds, being so high in the sky, are made from ice crystals. The properties of the ice crystals reflect and refract light in such a way as to cause a ring around the sun. Since high clouds typically proceed unsettled weather, it is said a halo around the sun or moon means rain or snow is on the way."

I'd say rain is more likely here than snow. :)

And I have seen these Sun Dogs fairly frequently back home in Boston, usually the day before we get hit with a major snowstorm or blizzard.

Last edited:
I saw it as well on Thursday, thanks for explaining it ,the rain has certainly arrived, here at least.

"These clouds, being so high in the sky, are made from ice crystals. The properties of the ice crystals reflect and refract light in such a way as to cause a ring around the sun. Since high clouds typically proceed unsettled weather, it is said a halo around the sun or moon means rain or snow is on the way."

I'd say rain is more likely here than snow. :)

And I have seen these Sun Dogs fairly frequently back home in Boston, usually the day before we get hit with a major snowstorm or blizzard.

You are right and you are wrong Mike. The phenomenon you saw is what is called a Cirrus Halo. Which is exactly as you described above. Where you are wrong is that it is a sun dog, while being of the same family it is a completely different phenomenon. That relies on Hexagonal crystals that split the light 22 degrees either side of the sun. Not ever in a complete circle. I have yet to witness this phenomena as I think the height of the atmosphere in the tropics prevents this from occurring.

I have yet to witness this phenomena as I think the height of the atmosphere in the tropics prevents this from occurring.

Rice, is the height of the atmosphere really different in the tropics than elsewhere around planet Earth ?

The Flat Earth Society are due to hold their global annual summit on the 1st October 2018. All nutters invited ...

Rice, is the height of the atmosphere really different in the tropics than elsewhere around planet Earth ?

Good question Coffee standby and try not to slash your wrists, you asked.
Answer is Yes, I cannot remember the exact percentage height difference it is highest at the equator then gets to it's thinnest at the poles this is due to a number of factors. Heating in the tropics and the weak Coriolis forces are just one them, then there is Gravitational forces which a strongest at the poles and weakest at the equator, because the Earth itself is broader at equator, the equator experiences less gravity allowing air to reach greater heights. Poles are closer to the gravitational center and experience higher gravity.
There is also the factor of the Earths rotational spin. When the earth spins the atmosphere is spinning with it. The gas molecules at poles are closer to this rotational axis while those near the equator they are farther away on a larger radius. Therefore, air at equator experience a greater centrifugal forces and moves farther away from Earth.
Did you know that all the atmospheric Ozone is created in the tropics and slowly spreads out to the poles where the atmosphere is at it's thinnest. That is why the hole in the ozone layer was first detected there. Tropical Meteorology is different for these reasons. Even in the field there are people that have great problems with the differences. I have been called in to fix other peoples f**k ups because they have not accounted for these factors when setting up radars in the tropics. You see they do a set up for low atmosphere because they do not know any different. Like German Radar techs calibrating the Surin weather radar.

Sorry for the Hi Jack @Cent.

Back