Surin sees large growth in tourism, Sisaket sees decline

georgefromcanada

You chose a custom title
FB_IMG_1689650246311.jpg

Surin Province saw a 52% increase international tourism Jan to May this year over the same period last year while Sisaket Province a decline.

The provinces bordering Laos also saw large increases.

On a side note the director of tourism for both Sisaket and Surin is based out of Surin. Natty and I were honoured when he came to our wedding party as the +1 of an acquaintance. The gentleman found a bottle of Johnny Walker Double Black at the serve yourself bar and liked it so much he carried it around under his arm all night. 555

View attachment 65788

Surin Province saw a 52% increase international tourism Jan to May this year over the same period last year while Sisaket Province a decline.

The provinces bordering Laos also saw large increases.

On a side note the director of tourism for both Sisaket and Surin is based out of Surin. Natty and I were honoured when he came to our wedding party as the +1 of an acquaintance. The gentleman found a bottle of Johnny Walker Double Black at the serve yourself bar and liked it so much he carried it around under his arm all night. 555
Huh. I wonder why? Not the Elephant Festival?

Maybe they are looking for that great Isaan wine?

I wonder as Thailand do not now require TM6s to be completed at entry into the Kingdom (at least for arrival by air) how do they know who are the tourists?
Yorky, The TM30 - notification and its underlying laws are about the obligation of a landlord (housemaster, possessor, or manager) to report the stay of a foreigner (non-Thai national) in his/her property.
All foreigners staying in Thailand and their hosts should be very well aware of this. The laws with regard to the TM30 and the obligation to report a foreigner’s stay have been in place for some time since 1979, but the government has started to enforce it more strictly lately and added this as a requirement to the 90-day reporting and extension of visa.

Section 37 of the Immigration Act, B.E. 2522 (1979) also stipulates that a foreigner residing in Thailand should notify the police station if he/she visits another province for more than 24 hours from the time of arrival.

Yorky, The TM30 - notification and its underlying laws are about the obligation of a landlord (housemaster, possessor, or manager) to report the stay of a foreigner (non-Thai national) in his/her property.
All foreigners staying in Thailand and their hosts should be very well aware of this. The laws with regard to the TM30 and the obligation to report a foreigner’s stay have been in place for some time since 1979, but the government has started to enforce it more strictly lately and added this as a requirement to the 90-day reporting and extension of visa.

Section 37 of the Immigration Act, B.E. 2522 (1979) also stipulates that a foreigner residing in Thailand should notify the police station if he/she visits another province for more than 24 hours from the time of arrival.

I appreciate that but on the TM30 (I can't remember) are you required to stipulate whether you are a tourist?

I appreciate that but on the TM30 (I can't remember) are you required to stipulate whether you are a tourist?

If one travels to another province and stays the night, one is considered a tourist.

If one is Thai, then one is a Thai tourist. If one is not Thai then one is an international tourist who's whereabouts are closely monitored by the immigration dept.

That rule has not been applied for some years.

Immigration has no idea where I am when I travel around Thailand.

As you said above, those of us residing in Thailand should be aware of current requirements....... :smirk:

Last edited:
If one travels to another province and stays the night, one is considered a tourist.

If one is Thai, then one is a Thai tourist. If one is not Thai then one is an international tourist who's whereabouts are closely monitored by the immigration dept.

So, if for example, @Prakhonchai Nick decides to spend the night in a hotel in Surin he would be classified as a tourist even though he has permanent residency?

So, if for example, @Prakhonchai Nick decides to spend the night in a hotel in Surin he would be classified as a tourist even though he has permanent residency?

Immigration does not require Permanent Residents to provide TM30 s.

@Prakhonchai Nick would be a tourist in Surin if he spent a night in a hotel but did not live in Surin, just as you would be a tourist if you spent a night in Blackpool but lived elsewhere.

But I see where you are going with your line of inquiry.

" If forum member X, (who does not live in Surin) were to spend 3 hrs at a short time resort and pay for his room in cash, only to move to another short time resort, pay cash, stay 3 hours and repeat twice again, would forum member X's
12 hours in hotel rooms in Surin make him a tourist?

No as there would be no record of the event but he would garner the respect of the other forum members for his physical stamina.

Immigration does not require Permanent Residents to provide TM30 s.

@Prakhonchai Nick would be a tourist in Surin if he spent a night in a hotel but did not live in Surin, just as you would be a tourist if you spent a night in Blackpool but lived elsewhere.

But I see where you are going with your line of inquiry.

The last time I "visited" Blackpool I was working on the North Fylde Pipeline in '72. We went to see "The Edgar Broughton Band" in Blackpool Mecca.

When we went to Chiang Mia in May, the only time I showed anything was my passport at US Consult. My wife chcked us in at the resort we stayed at. ;;big smile;;

When we went to Chiang Mia in May, the only time I showed anything was my passport at US Consult. My wife chcked us in at the resort we stayed at. ;;big smile;;
But the staff are 'supposed' to ask for your passport, pink ID or even driver's license (which I believe still shows your passport number on it. If they do not they can be fined.

But the staff are 'supposed' to ask for your passport, pink ID or even driver's license (which I believe still shows your passport number on it. If they do not they can be fined.
Don't give a FORK. ;;big smile;; We also went threw 6 miltary check points on a 1700 km trip and were never asked for JACK SHIT.

Don't give a FORK. ;;big smile;; We also went threw 6 miltary check points on a 1700 km trip and were never asked for JACK SHIT.
Update. My passport was in the US Consulate as I had sent it to them by EMS. And the plats on our truck still say Chaing Mia.

Back