T/T-rate moving from Foreign Currency Accout held in Thailand to Thai Bhat

Yes it has. It has declined from c. 3.00% to 2.25%. During that period the UK interest rate, I believe, has decreased from 6% to next to bugger all.

That was incorrect, I'm sorry. The Thai interest fixed deposit rate has declined to 1.50%. Still a lot more that the UK.

Yes it is in Thai Bht and yes the majority was transferred at around 70-75 exchange rate (Sterling).

You are probably very content that you cashed in at that time. I surmise sometime in 2005 or 2006.

In retrospect
if you cashed in an abundance of chips you may look like a genius.
My circumstances and timing was certainly different (read below).

My lump sum was transferred late 1999 or early 2000.

Sent at no charge from the sender. That is a good deal.
I believe I paid USD 45 for transfer from a institution in the States to my Thai account whether it was $ 5,000 or $ 50,000.

The Government pensions department do not charge for sending overseas (although they send it in the currency of the receiving bank). My pension is sent to Jersey.

I was initially told that my company pension could be sent to a Thai bank at a charge of Sterling 18.00 per transaction. However, whether they forgot, changed policy or I just slipped through the net, I don't know (and have not asked).

USD T/T-rate

XE posted today:
3:00 UTC - 35.64
6:00 UTC - 35.69
8:00 UTC - 35.65
10:00 UTC -35.63
{Not a large variance...just 6 satang.}

I received 35.46 today at SCB.

Your mileage might vary. shrug1

\\

Old Colin swears that he will not transfer unnecessary funds to Thailand (from UK) until the Sterling returns at least to 70.

Even for his retirement visa extension!

With a Sterling account you are not.

That said, the only advantage I can see is the IMMEDIATE opportunity to take advantage of a spike in exchange rates.

USD T/T-rate
27 August 2015...
XE posted today:
3:00 UTC - 35.64
6:00 UTC - 35.69
8:00 UTC - 35.65
10:00 UTC -35.63
{Not a large variance...just 6 satang.}

I received 35.46 today at SCB.

Your mileage might vary. shrug1

XE quoter 35.28. I received TT-rate of 35.14 at SCB's opening this morning. That's almost 1 bhat less than two months ago and less than August 2015 (posted above).

Anyone think USD will trade at 37 in 2016 ? :flushed:

XE quoter 35.28. I received TT-rate of 35.14 at SCB's opening this morning. That's almost 1 bhat less than two months ago and less than August 2015 (posted above).

Anyone think USD will trade at 37 in 2016 ? :flushed:

Only if Trump is elected.:D

Rec'd T.T. rate of 34.9 from Siam Commercial at 11:AM today for USD.

USD note rate was quoted 50 satang less.

Around that time XE showed 35.03 online.

Hold on to the election Coffee. Rates will raise in December. It has been seen in the goat entrails. The Bank of Thailand will not have the power to follow the jump.
These sudden currency movements are just a precursor for the main event. Obama got a financial collapse in the first month, why a new president should not have the same?

Since the Market Crash of 2008 the USD has played between 30 and 36 against the THB.
Putting some dollars into play at 35 is just a hedge against the potential of a lowered world economic scenario even if the potential of another 3% - 8% increase in the USD-THB xe-rate comes to fruition within the next year.

Clearly too many other factors can have a detrimental effect on world markets and currency exchanges more so than just the Presidential race.
Worrying at night is not my cup of tea. Just ask Putin.

Look at the hedge Yorky punted into place prior to the Brexit Referendum vote all the while proclaiming 'Leave the EU'. :sunglasses:
He hit that short-term bullseye square between the horns.
£ xe against the THB evaporated from 52 to 43 unbelievably within 10 weeks! :sleepy:

Money is not made when exchange rate are stationary. IMHO rates are often manipulated by the big boys to make huge profits.
Well spoken Night Stroker - its all about the big boys making big money.

That old refrain says it so well,

It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Ain't it all a bloomin' shame?

Money is not made when exchange rate are stationary. IMHO rates are often manipulated by the big boys to make huge profits.

So Stroker, what isn't manipulated by the big boys ?
EPL...Formula 1...
politics...media...religion...
oil...armaments...war...???

(The list is endless.) ;;bones;;

There is something definitely going on at the moment. The THB is dropping across the board. I think it is connected to something ??

There is something definitely going on at the moment. The THB is dropping across the board. I think it is connected to something ??

The BOT has moved in to stabilise the currency. They will send the country broke, if something should happen for real. The BOT will attempt to fool financial markets with its maverick accounting tactics under the pretext that it would defend the baht at all cost until exports pick up, the BOT appears to have run into a trap of its own making.

We live in interesting times. Time to hang on tight.

Last edited:
Back