Temperature

Btw by all reports this is going down on record as being the worst winter blizzard for the east cost. Storms like this that come out of the southern US do happen but not on regular basses. The storms the usually closer NE come across the Great Lakes and Canada. The cold that WE are experiencing here in Thailand is directly related to the El Nino effect along with that white shyt in the US. Also there re report and photos of snow in Northern Thailand, Mynmar and Vietnam.

Temperatures to drop further in the North and Northeast tomorrow

BANGKOK, 25 January 2016 (NNT) - The Meteorological Department has warned people living in the upper parts of Thailand about heavy rains and colder weather over the next two days.

The temperatures in the North and Northeast are expected to drop to lows of 8 degrees Celsius and highs of 15 degrees Celsius.

The East Coast will experience lows of 14 degrees Celsius and it will reach highs of 18 degrees Celsius at midday. It will remain relatively cold in Bangkok and its vicinity, with lows at 16 degrees Celsius and highs around 18 degrees Celsius.

The Meteorological Department added that a wind system will move across the upper parts of the country over the next two days. Residents have been warned of heavy rains and icy weather.

The department has also forecast more rain in the South, due to a northeasterly wind in the Gulf of Thailand. Fishers should take precautions when leaving the shore during this time.

-- NNT 2016-01-25
footer_n.gif

8-15 degrees would be quite pleasant in Tasmania. Good for gardening, a walk in the park, going to work, whatever. Don't know why we get so excited about the "cold" as most of us come from colder backgrounds. Three days ago, we were complaining about "hot".

IB, there is a BIG difference between geography and mentality.
Haven't you figured that out from how America votes ?:p

That I realise, Coffee.

But I was being criticised on my geography.... and all GL was talking about was history. Same difference.

Oh yes, history...the colony of Virginia.
Didn't the London Company set up Jamestown , the first permanent English settlement in America ?

Unfortunately this cold snap in Isaan will not disrupt the mosquito breeding, although it should lessen the mosquito's level of activity before they swarm again with warmer temps.

It's the female mozzies that require your blood. Same with the human species.

Unfortunately this cold snap in Isaan will not disrupt the mosquito breeding, although it should lessen the mosquito's level of activity before they swarm again with warmer temps.

It's the female mozzies that require your blood. Same with the human species.
Geez. I read where I have to be particularly wary of striped mosquitoes (tiger mosquitoes). Now it is going to be even harder to distinguish which are actually female tiger mosquitoes!

Geez. I read where I have to be particularly wary of striped mosquitoes (tiger mosquitoes). Now it is going to be even harder to distinguish which are actually female tiger mosquitoes!

Easy, only the females will suck your blood. ;):p:hearteyecat:

I'm going to bed - it's the only place that is potentially warm.

17:30 into bed, snuggled up in a duvet, switch on the TV and heard the sigh - ahhhhhhhh - it had breathed its last. Knackered.

Not bad after 16 years with no maintenance.

This morning was spent TV shopping.

[Edit: Clarification - shopping for a TV, not TV shopping.]

Last edited:
^^^ What Yorky? You didn't change the oil or filter! No wonder it didn't last 20...

I have discovered that in most Thai households TV's are on from 6:eek:o - 22:eek:o/ 7 days a week whether anyone is or isn't in the same room watching or listening (like a radio while they're on their smart phones playing Candy Crush or taking/ posting /reviewing FaceBook pics).

Ah, now you can move up into the future with flat-screen. Good luck shopping.
Did you go shopping alone or with SWMBO ?
Will you require more days to make your / her decision ?
Don't forget to post a picture of your purchase along with details.

^^^ What Yorky? You didn't change the oil or filter! No wonder it didn't last 20...

I have discovered that in most Thai households TV's are on from 6:eek:o - 22:eek:o/ 7 days a week whether anyone is or isn't in the same room watching or listening (like a radio while they're on their smart phones playing Candy Crush or taking/ posting /reviewing FaceBook pics).

Ah, now you can move up into the future with flat-screen. Good luck shopping.
Did you go shopping alone or with SWMBO ?
Will you require more days to make your / her decision ?
Don't forget to post a picture of your purchase along with details.

Now you are being silly. You think any lovely Thai wife could go without the TV for more than a day, let alone an hour?

Now you are being silly. You think any lovely Thai wife could go without the TV for more than a day, let alone an hour?

It was the bedroom TV.

Yes, she came with me, but was no help whatsoever. I'd planned to get a 32" LED but when I saw the size of it, I realised that it was too wide to fit in the "gap" available (without encroaching upon my route to the bog). I therefore went for the 28" LED which was perfectly adequate for sleeping with (the old one was 22" or summat). The replacement is HD which I've discovered is of no advantage whatsoever to someone who is deaf in one ear, half blind and usually half pished. However, given that it cost half the price of the previous model and has loads of additional facilities which I am yet to discover (the manual is in Thai - I have already downloaded an English version), I'm not unduly unhappy.

The one thing I did find was that it was far lighter (weight) than the 29" old time version in the lounge for which we needed to call the shop for guys to come over to lift it when it is necessary to clean underneath. However, we do now have a system that we get the same 3 guys who service the aircon (same shop) to carry out this onerous task during their 6 monthly visits.

Back