Thai language lessons

Good morning Lostone.

When I came to live in Surin 8 years ago, learning Thai was one of my targets. A small (6-10) group of us would meet at a small restaurant, where a local lady would help us with basic Thai for a couple of hours on one day of the week. We came from different parts of Europe, and as there was a heavy German/Swiss bias in the group, there was sometimes a bit of confusion about which language we were supposed to be learning! We had quite a bit of fun during the few months we went, and managed to cope with the numbers, directions, names of different fruit and vegetables, menu items, phrases that might help with visas and 90 day reports and so on. We even managed to visit a couple of places of interest locally, and started recognising Thai letters by using car number plates etc.

I found these lessons useful as well as fun, and have retained most of what she taught during the informal conversations.

She is no longer doing this (she qualified as a lawyer and moved on) and I don't know if anyone else provides this informal teaching now. Your enquiry has prompted me to find out some more - and I wonder if others here might also wish to be involved - maybe one of our wives or girlfriends ( best not to ask them both at the same time though!) could offer the basic teaching most of us would find useful for communicating in shops and when our partners are stopped by their friends, leaving us speechless for as long as that takes.

If interested in finding out more, please add your name to this thread.

@Merlin If this does take off I would be interested

Hi Colin
I've put out some feelers, both for willing victims to learn as well as for any teachers, and will keep in touch with you and others who express interest.
I hope that you and K Wood are both enjoying the weekend, even more so as some doors appear to be opening now :)

I lived 8k out of Surin and when I first came over full time, I had books,CD'S, Audio books to learn to speak Thai.
Like already mentioned, I then tried to speak to the fellow villagers only to find they all spoke Khemer , so I gave up.

Back