Thai Law re: Soi Dogs

DailyLunatic

What does Thai Law say in regard to Soi Dogs. Trap, relocate, terminate with extreme prejudice, etc.

I live in a small village, and dogs have been getting into my ducks/chickens for quite a while. This morning EVERY duck was dead. I have had enough!

I have begun building a live trap large enough for a medium sized dog. Wife insists that if I trap a dog, I will go to jail.

1] No one seems to know to whom these dogs belong.
2] Family owns dogs, so this would not be lethal.

How much potential problems would I have with the law were I to trap and re-locate?

-sterling

What does Thai Law say in regard to Soi Dogs. Trap, relocate, terminate with extreme prejudice, etc.

I live in a small village, and dogs have been getting into my ducks/chickens for quite a while. This morning EVERY duck was dead. I have had enough!

I have begun building a live trap large enough for a medium sized dog. Wife insists that if I trap a dog, I will go to jail.

1] No one seems to know to whom these dogs belong.
2] Family owns dogs, so this would not be lethal.

How much potential problems would I have with the law were I to trap and re-locate?

-sterling
Many Thais seem to resort to poison chicken and other meats and set the meat out. Personally I'd have them all neutered and spayed. But who will pay for the vet to do that? Or to even have them all given rabies shots. It's a huge problem. Blame the Buddhists. Ask the village headman or the head Monks maybe how to solve the problem?

An old chicken killing dog solution is to tie the dead chicken to the dog's neck until it rots and drops off. No more killing chickens for that dog. :)

Ask the village headman or the head Monks maybe how to solve the problem?

An old chicken killing dog solution is to tie the dead chicken to the dog's neck until it rots and drops off. No more killing chickens for that dog. :)
I'll ask Wife, again, to ask the Headman. I will insist she learn how WE are to deal with the issue, not just report another duck/chicken death.

To tie the bird to the dog, I'd have to trap the dog. Wife claims that even trapping would put me in jail. Wanted to know the truth of that statement.

Personally, as long as I do not harm, I do not see an issue. Wife doesn't seem to understand how much of a compromise it is for me to simply trap, rather than eliminate the threat. In her mind I'm supposed to forgive, week, after week, after week...

Even elec. fencing is cruel to her.

-sterling

I'll ask Wife, again, to ask the Headman. I will insist she learn how WE are to deal with the issue, not just report another duck/chicken death.

To tie the bird to the dog, I'd have to trap the dog. Wife claims that even trapping would put me in jail. Wanted to know the truth of that statement.

Personally, as long as I do not harm, I do not see an issue. Wife doesn't seem to understand how much of a compromise it is for me to simply trap, rather than eliminate the threat. In her mind I'm supposed to forgive, week, after week, after week...

Even elec. fencing is cruel to her.

-sterling
No one will admit owning the dog or dogs that killed your fowl. If they did they would have to make recompensation for your lost birds. Never happen in the village. :) But if you run over a dog in the village you can be damned sure someone will claim the dog as theirs and want you to pay to replace their beloved pet.

I had an accident years ago with some loose cattle walking the road in the dark. Wrecked my truck and caused some injuries. The law was/is if the animals are out after dark with no human watching over them and they cause an accident the owner of said animals is supposed to pay up. Well, guess what? No one in the area would claim the cows I had hit in the rainy dark of night.

By the way, it was Taksin who changed the law to make it so farmers letting their cattle and buffalo roam the sois after dark were liable. Used to be if you hit them with your vehicle IT WAS YOUR FAULT AND YOU HAD TO PAY DAMAGES. He changed the law so the farmers were liable if the stock was running around loose unsupervised once the sun went down.

No one will admit owning the dog or dogs that killed your fowl. If they did they would have to make recompensation for your lost birds. Never happen in the village. :) But if you run over a dog in the village you can be damned sure someone will claim the dog as theirs and want you to pay to replace their beloved pet.

I had an accident years ago with some loose cattle walking the road in the dark. Wrecked my truck and caused some injuries. The law was/is if the animals are out after dark with no human watching over them and they cause an accident the owner of said animals is supposed to pay up. Well, guess what? No one in the area would claim the cows I had hit in the rainy dark of night.

By the way, it was Taksin who changed the law to make it so farmers letting their cattle and buffalo roam the sois after dark were liable. Used to be if you hit them with your vehicle IT WAS YOUR FAULT AND YOU HAD TO PAY DAMAGES. He changed the law so the farmers were liable if the stock was running around loose unsupervised once the sun went down.
That law states farm animals need to be off any road after 6PM as is any agriculture equipment is not allowed on a numbered road after 6PM.
@DailyLunatic here is what you want. Knock your self out.

Section 21, para 6 Sounds interesting.
(6) killing animal in the case where there is a necessity to
prevent danger to life or body of a human or other animal, or to
prevent damage to property;

"(6) killing animal in the case where there is a necessity to
prevent damage to property;"

@Rice Can you place that here in Thai? So Daily Lunatic can show the law to his wife. I'd say that fits, as the ducks are his 'property'.

@Rice Can you place that here in Thai? So Daily Lunatic can show the law to his wife. I'd say that fits, as the ducks are his 'property'.
He has a problem which is going to bigger if he is not careful.
Neither his wife, Headman or anyone else in the village is interested in that law. They think Thai way and will tell us we don't understand Thai way.
He is like myself and many others who live in a small village where our wives were born and have grown up in.
We are only a Farang and will be accepted with big smiles as long as we don't rock the boat.
He is at the stage now that if he pushes this to far.
The pressure is going to come down on his wife from the people in the village.
And that will cause problems between him and his wife.

He has a problem which is going to bigger if he is not careful.
Neither his wife, Headman or anyone else in the village is interested in that law. They think Thai way and will tell us we don't understand Thai way.
He is like myself and many others who live in a small village where our wives were born and have grown up in.
We are only a Farang and will be accepted with big smiles as long as we don't rock the boat.
He is at the stage now that if he pushes this to far.
The pressure is going to come down on his wife from the people in the village.
And that will cause problems between him and his wife.
No truer words have been spoken.

That law states farm animals need to be off any road after 6PM as is any agriculture equipment is not allowed on a numbered road after 6PM.
@DailyLunatic here is what you want. Knock your self out.

Section 21, para 6 Sounds interesting.
(6) killing animal in the case where there is a necessity to
prevent damage to property;

Yes, Section 21 would be what I would argue.

However:
[Devil's Advocate Mode On] 1] I caught it before there was any actual danger or damage to anything, and outside the hen house. 2] I did not kill, only trapped, which is not outlined as permitted. 3] I have to catch them in the act, in the hen house, and if I can do that, they would ask why not just run them off? [DA Mode Off]

I also see is how broadly the term 'cruelty' is defined.

Section 20. No person shall perform any act which is deemed an act of cruelty to animal without justification.

cruelty” means an act or a failure to act which causes an animal to suffer, physically or mentally, or causes an animal to suffer from pain, illness, infirm, or may cause death to such animal, and shall include a use of a disabled, ill, old, or pregnant animal for any advantages, a use of animal for sexual abuse, a use of animal to overwork or to perform an inappropriate work because such animal is ill, old, or underage.

Mentally?!? Really. So now I have to worry that the dog I stopped from eating my ducks might develop PTSD?

Wife has contacted the Village Head. She said, that he said, that when he gets enough complaints he will authorize trapping by government, and by government only. Individuals are not permitted to trap or kill. (And -Yeah. I acknowledge we may be playing 'Telephone' here.)

Breaking it down:
It would appear that the law allows only self-defense and defense of others, and not any kind of proactive measures except for "build the wall".

One good thing that has come from this is that the wife is finally willing to build an 'actual' coop, rather than the Gilligan's Island hut looking thing she insists is 'good enough'

-sterling

Ok, But I don't think it will help.

(๖) การฆ่าสัตว์ในกรณีที่มีความจําเป็นเพื่อป้องกันอันตรายแก่ชีวิตหรือร่างกายของมนุษย์
หรือสัตว์อื่น หรือป้องกันความเสียหายที่จะเกิดแก่ทรัพย์สิน

I think @gotlost is right. Vietnamese.
Possibly. I was always told over the years gone by that they were Cambodian traders. Was also told that ALL totally black dogs were prized as they were considered to be the tastiest (god knows why or how that would be). Maybe they were Cambo traders collecting the dogs and selling them to VN. Neither here nor there, but I've never met a Thai, Lao-Thai or Cambodian-Thai that would admit to eating dog meat. :) Wish they would come around here. There are shitloads of black stray dogs around here. :) I did used to see the trucks around in the village and in Surin years ago. Usually plastic goods were given for each dog turned in to them.

Don't underestimate what those mongrel dogs can do to you. About two weeks ago a supposedly nice Bull Terrier belonging to a relative bit my nephew on his dominant hand when he reached out to pet it, requiring surgery. And serioius infections are common from dog bites.IMG_5344.jpeg

Don't underestimate what those mongrel dogs can do to you. About two weeks ago a supposedly nice Bull Terrier belonging to a relative bit my nephew on his dominant hand when he reached out to pet it, requiring surgery. And serioius infections are common from dog bites.View attachment 74584

Bull Terrier = 'mongrel dog' ?

Reads like a purebred Bull Terrier.
Let me guess...a stranger reaching for the back, neck or head of an (unproven stranger-friendly) Pit Bull terrier.

I'm sure glad your nephew did not try to kiss it or place his arms hugging the canine's neck.
How old is your nephew ?

Sorry to read about this unfortunate incident.
Hopefully a lesson learned by both your nephew 's and relatives families.
A muzzle sometimes is appropriate.

Wishing your nephew a clean and swift recovery.

Noted: That is a very strange looking dog 'bite'.
How old is the dog?
I hope it was fully vaccinated.

Last edited:
Back