Thai wife's passport

D

densleyporter

The reason I am posting this,is to inform people how easy it is to get a Thai passport,by that,I don't mean anything untoward.
Last week,we went to Korat to apply for a passport for my wife,two reasons,one,ready for when we visit the UK,she has at last condescended,to go with me,always said it was too cold for her,but since her sister went to Norway with her husband,last year,her ideas have changed somewhat.
All that was required was the wife's ID card,house papers,two photos(which were not needed as they take your photo with a camera at the P/P office),plus your UK or whichever passport for verification of the name,if you are officially married.
The application form is written in Thai,with an attached small piece of paper,which needed filling in in English.Fee was 1039 baht.

Super place,very spacious,my initial thought on the place was,why haven't the Immigration Office at Chok Chai got something similar.
Directions for getting there are as follows,if you are going from the Chok Chai end.
Take the 224,straight into Nakhon R,when you get to the big bridge that spans the railway,you cannot miss it,you'll see the road rise when you get there.
At the bottom of the bridge on the other side,to your right you will see a builders yard,with grave stones,turn immediately left at that point.Follow the road for five sets of traffic lights,there you will see a KrungThai bank.Turn immediately left,you can't miss it,gigantic car park with a tourist info office at the front.The car park is also in sight of the Provinvial office.Walk across the small road to the bank,the P/P office is at the front,you will see the red sign at the top of the steps for it,go down the steps,through the door,in front there is a desk where you pick up the forms,they will give you a number,which is shown on a large screen immediately where the interview cubicles are,first your wife will have her height taken.
Total time taken was 20 minutes from start to finish

The second reason was,the uk pensions office wanted further proof of my wife's date of birth,for anyone that might be thinking of applying,so far it has taken me two years,to get this far.They will only accept proof by official document,or a copy of,that has been endorsed by someone of authority,believe me I ve sent all sorts
Anybody who is thinking of doing the same,drop me a line,I will give you all the gen you will need,plus the applications for the same are to cease within a short time,then stops completely in ten years,so I have been informed.
Cheers
Mark

Thanks for the info {for others}, as it's always been well known how easy a Thai passport is to obtain.

Thanks for the post Mark,my wife hasn't got a passport,not that we've going anywhere but good to know how easy it is.:Chokdee5:
Have heard they are Building a new Immigration Office in Korat so maybe we will have a nice place to do our visa application's .We did have a fairly new one in Surin ,still don't understand why they closed it,thats Thailand for you.:ShitHappens1:

Excellent info Mark. Thank you.

I had a simular problem upon reaching the ripe old age of 50. I wanted to register my marriage with my private pension plan providers so that when I pop my clogs, my wife will be eligable to recieve 1/2. Luckily a lawyer in Pratatnum,BKK certified our marriage document and all was well.

:Bow5:

We went to Ubon on a Tuesday, she filled out some papers paid 1045 Baht I think and the following Friday we got the passport in the post here in Sisaket.
Not married at the time but I assume it will be the same the next time we go cause she wants a new passport since she changed her last name to mine :)

Excellent info Mark. Thank you.

I had a simular problem upon reaching the ripe old age of 50. I wanted to register my marriage with my private pension plan providers so that when I pop my clogs, my wife will be eligable to recieve 1/2. Luckily a lawyer in Pratatnum,BKK certified our marriage document and all was well.

:Bow5:

Hope she does not get any ideas about helping you along!

TBWG

Thanks Mark, it looks like a trip to Korat in the future to renew my wife's passport and Visa for that final trip to the UK around July 2011, unless they re-open the place in Surin. :GrinNod1:

Thanks Mark, it looks like a trip to Korat in the future to renew my wife's passport and Visa for that final trip to the UK around July 2011, unless they re-open the place in Surin. :GrinNod1:

Baz
You should do as we do and stay the night in Sabai Hotel (850b) inc very good breakfast.Arthurs farang bar (Ram Inn) just outside and he can get a tuktuk for you to the 'Bule Bar' which has great live music. A short walk away from hotel is a great 'eat as much as you like' BBQ place too
THATS WHEN THE CRAZYNESS HAS FINISHED

Bule Bar now changed hands and not a Farang Bar but still expected to be good.

Bule Bar now changed hands and not a Farang Bar but still expected to be good.

To update you, kind Mr. DtD. In fact, the Bule Saloon did change hands, recently and is having it's Grand Opening in a week. The new name is "Ban Phako." The owner is American - Thai and name is Jack. He was one of the supporters of the Charity Bike Ride, as he is a member of the VFW Korat Post. He is a good guy. Also, for their Grand Opening, he is having a live band in from Bangkok. Additionally, live bands will be playing regularly.

BanPhako.JPG

Last edited:
Going back to the OP , my wife's passport has expired and we are going to renew it next week . Since we married in the uk 6 years ago , it has remained in her maiden name but now she wants to change it to her married name . Has anybody had this occur to their wife and if so , what is required and how much of a problem did it become ?

Farang name means higher medical costs if the need arises,as my wife and i found out the hard way, on my pocketbook.

Going back to the OP , my wife's passport has expired and we are going to renew it next week . Since we married in the uk 6 years ago , it has remained in her maiden name but now she wants to change it to her married name . Has anybody had this occur to their wife and if so , what is required and how much of a problem did it become ?

It is relatively easy. All she needs to do is to change her name on her family papers then go to Korat or Bangkok and get new Passport with updated name. She will have to have a translated (to Thai) copy of her marriage certificate/license.
This has been good for us in that she now receives 75% coverage on all medical costs, paid for by the U.S., as part of my retirement or she can still use her 30 Baht
medical plan provided in Thailand. She also changed her ID card to married name. No problems with this for us for the past 10 years.

Back