Transfer money to UK.

Yes, but it was a few years ago. Bht 1,000,000.00 was the limit then per transaction. As I needed to send slightly more, the kind Mr Roam (BKB) sent it in two hits over two days. I believe it was Bht 350.00 per hit.

A little over 800K.

Last year I sent 950k via Kasikorn Bank.

I expected to have to jump through loads of hoops but the lady at the bank just said "It is your money, you can transfer whenever you wish".

I am not sure that is the case though, I have heard of supporting paperwork being required to substantiate the source of the funds and a valid reason for the transfer.

I suggest you go and talk to the bank and perhaps have a range of answers ready. It may also come down to the person you actually speak to.

One other option to consider (particularly if you do hit a brick wall with the bank) is selling the Baht to other expats. You probably won't get many takers at the moment but we all need Baht to varying degrees. Example - Say I need 100,000 Baht, K Bank rate is 43 and you offer, say, 44. You transfer 100,000 Baht into my Thai bank and I transfer GBP 2,273 into your UK account.

I expected to have to jump through loads of hoops but the lady at the bank just said "It is your money, you can transfer whenever you wish".

I am not sure that is the case though, I have heard of supporting paperwork being required to substantiate the source of the funds and a valid reason for the transfer.

I suggest you go and talk to the bank and perhaps have a range of answers ready. It may also come down to the person you actually speak to.

One other option to consider (particularly if you do hit a brick wall with the bank) is selling the Baht to other expats. You probably won't get many takers at the moment but we all need Baht to varying degrees. Example - Say I need 100,000 Baht, K Bank rate is 43 and you offer, say, 44. You transfer 100,000 Baht into my Thai bank and I transfer GBP 2,273 into your UK account.

The funds are currently in an account in my wifes name. So in in effect it will be her making the transfer.

The funds are currently in an account in my wifes name. So in in effect it will be her making the transfer.

What reason would she have for transferring that sort of amount to the UK ?

That is the sort of question she could expect from the bank - but, yes, I imagine the 'rules' will be different for a Thai.

Yes, sorry. I said in my post that the limit was Bht 1,000,000.00 but what I should have said was that that was the limit without "jumping through hoops".

I was refused by several banks to transfer funds out of Thailand. They wanted reasons for the transfer and also stated it would most likely be held in a holding bank for several months and then maybe. Just maybe sent back to my Thai account. I withdrew cash and changed to $AUD in Bkk at VISU or whatever it's called and got through customs etc and declared it on arrival in Australia.. Did it 4 times. Beats going through the usual Thai crap.
Just don't get caught taking more than 50k baht in Thai banknotes unless exiting via Cambodia or Laos... 500k then is OK???

The current spread between buying baht (inward transfer) and selling baht (outward transfer) is about 1 baht at Kasikorn, Therefore if you can find a private buyer(s), at around 1 baht above the incoming TT rate, you save all the bank additional charges, hoops, and probably save money too. Makes sense.

The currency spread in Thai banks is certainly far superior to those offered by the greedy bastards in UK. For example, Nat West: Buy 47.9075; Sell 39.7961.

I was refused by several banks to transfer funds out of Thailand. They wanted reasons for the transfer and also stated it would most likely be held in a holding bank for several months and then maybe. Just maybe sent back to my Thai account. I withdrew cash and changed to $AUD in Bkk at VISU or whatever it's called and got through customs etc and declared it on arrival in Australia.. Did it 4 times. Beats going through the usual Thai crap.
Just don't get caught taking more than 50k baht in Thai banknotes unless exiting via Cambodia or Laos... 500k then is OK???
Good to see you back on the forum Sir

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

An update on my OP. We wnt
Has anyone any advice, or experience of sending Thai Baht to the UK?
On Tues the Wife and I went into the Krung Thai Bank branch in Robinsons Buriram to make a transfer of Thai Baht to the UK,
We were assigned a senior member of staff to deal with it. We wanted to send 823,000 Baht, and as this was more than double the
$10,000 or equivalent per transfer allowed, she had to seek approval from a higher authority. With the guidance of them on the phone
she was able to complete the transaction, but it took exactly one hour.
I had a mail from the recipient in the UK on Wed to say the money had arrived in his account 24 hrs later.
I was very impressed by the service we received at this Bank, and in particular by the professional, and courteous young Lady who dealt with us.

Excellent.

Were there any hoops you had to jump through to meet any criteria for the transfer.

Would be interested to know whether the TT sell baht rate applicable at the time of transfer was used.....likely to have been circa 44baht/£

Excellent.

Were there any hoops you had to jump through to meet any criteria for the transfer.
Not so much hoops realy. The person on the other end of the phone wanted to know why we were sending that much money. We told them we were buying a car. Then they asked to see the papers for the car, imposible I said they are in England. Told to take a seat while she thrashed this one out with the other end.
Obviously she sorted it, and we continued with the form. Next problem came with the SORT code and IBAN code. Not enough didgets said the person on the phone. Yes there are I said. "Please take a seat while I sort this out" Eventualy they agreed that the code's I had given them were OK. Transfer complete.
We took the blue house book, Wife's ID card, bank book, and kept calm. Job done.

Back