Transfer of monies from overseas to Thailand

Yorky

Fullritis Member
I have been informed today (by a not 100% reliable source) that if I transfer Sterling from a bank in the British Isles to my bank in Thailand the transaction is via Citybank or Bank of America who charge a sum of c. 10.00 Sterling for this service.

Is anyone aware of this or is it the usual bollocks?

Y (to whom 10 quid is a lot).

Transferring to Kasikorn bank from Barclays, Halifax and HSBC (maybe others too) is via a correspondent bank (not sure which one) A fee is deducted by Kasikorn for their charges which appears to be between 300/400baht (Never constant). This is in addition to Kasikorns usual commission of between 250/500baht and 0.1%of the sum transferred. They even have the audacity to charge 20baht for the transfer from Bangkok to the local branch!

I transfer money in two ways. The first is my company pension and this is paid by them into the Royal Bank of Scotland and they transfer the funds to Bangkok Bank in Thailand. The Company deduct £8 from my pension for this transfer, presumably the fee charged by RBS. As far as I can tell, what is transferred is what I get at the BBK Bank TT rate with no further deductions. The second route is through MoneyCorp. They deduct a fixed sum from my offshore account (direct debit) once per month and transfer to BBK Bank in Thailand. The exchange rate is fixed 7 working days before the transfer and is about 1/2 a point lower than the exchange rate on that day. If the exchange rate goes up over the next 7 days I lose, if the exchange rate goes down I win! I pay £5 per month for this 'priority' service (free if I chose 'routine') and what is transferred is what I get with no extra fees or deductions. I might add, MoneyCorp has a number of different options for transferring money, including a fixed exchange rate for a period of your choice, say for the next 12 months. I like the service they provide, especially the email confirming the rate of exchange and amount in Thai Baht for the next transfer - sent 7 working days in advance of the transfer. I also like the second email that confirms the money was transferred. I do not receive any notification from the RBS or my company (the first option I described).

Last edited:
Money transferee.

I have set up a second card on my Visa account, so basically, I transferee from my S1 to my S1.1.
I have a friend that then withdraws the funds and deposits it into our Thai bank.
One transaction per month so no account fees.

I have set up a second card on my Visa account, so basically, I transferee from my S1 to my S1.1.
I have a friend that then withdraws the funds and deposits it into our Thai bank.
One transaction per month so no account fees.

Feret, let me get this right. Your friend here in Thailand withdraws the money from an ATM here? If so, you may not be getting great value in exchange rates and fees.

I recently transfered around 700,000 baht to my Kasikorn Bank here in Surin. I use Ozforex who give the best exchange rate, they give you a quote prior to finalising the deal, you then transfer the money to them via Bpay or direct credit and they then transfer it to your Thai bank. No fees for amounts over $10,000 and a flat $15 for under.

My only problem was that Kasikorn has taken out around 1200 baht in fees which I am not happy with. A previous transaction I did with them for an amount of around 300,000 baht attracted a smaller fee of around 400 baht. I am going in to see them and find out why they are taking this money out and what calculations they are using.

Does anybody know of any Thai banks that don't charge a fee for foreign exchange deposits?

Feret, let me get this right. Your friend here in Thailand withdraws the money from an ATM here? If so, you may not be getting great value in exchange rates and fees.

I recently transfered around 700,000 baht to my Kasikorn Bank here in Surin. I use Ozforex who give the best exchange rate, they give you a quote prior to finalising the deal, you then transfer the money to them via Bpay or direct credit and they then transfer it to your Thai bank. No fees for amounts over $10,000 and a flat $15 for under.

My only problem was that Kasikorn has taken out around 1200 baht in fees which I am not happy with. A previous transaction I did with them for an amount of around 300,000 baht attracted a smaller fee of around 400 baht. I am going in to see them and find out why they are taking this money out and what calculations they are using.

Does anybody know of any Thai banks that don't charge a fee for foreign exchange deposits?

Wombat. Kasikorn Bank fees are well publicised.

They are 0.25% (min 250 max 500baht) + 0.1% +20baht.

In your case taking 700,000baht as the figure your charges would have been 500baht + 0,1% of 700,000 which is 700baht + 20baht which makes a total deduction of 1,220baht.

This would have been taken off the telex transfer rate applicable at the time on the day the transfer was made. Some days the telex rate can change as many as 10 times in a day.

You could have been hit with corespondent bank charges too at around 400baht, although it would appear you were not.

Nothing wrong by the looks of it.

I have for the past many years just used an ATM. Since I've found AEON, I get almost the same exchange rate as advertised on CNBC or in the Financial sections of the News etc. Just recently AEON has charged the 150 baht to withdraw o/seas funds, but the best part, there's no fees associated to the withdrawals from my Australian Bank (Bendigo).
So, all I pay is the 150 baht and if the exchange rate is roughly 30.3, I'm getting 30 from AEON.
All shopping is done with the Australian debit card. All very easy nowadays.

I remember when i was with HSBC Bangkok. They would harp on about how easy it was to transfer money from UK to Thailand with no extra charges. It was a piece of cake, i could do all my transfers back and forth at the click of a button, and there was no admin charges. BUT! Heres the kicker, their exchange rates were absolutely horrendous. I lost a lot of money each time with them.
I just keep it simple now, i'll split pay checks sometimes into my Thai bank, and sometimes into my UK bank account.
You cant win with these banks.

I remember when i was with HSBC Bangkok. They would harp on about how easy it was to transfer money from UK to Thailand with no extra charges. It was a piece of cake, i could do all my transfers back and forth at the click of a button, and there was no admin charges. BUT! Heres the kicker, their exchange rates were absolutely horrendous. I lost a lot of money each time with them.
I just keep it simple now, i'll split pay checks sometimes into my Thai bank, and sometimes into my UK bank account.
You cant win with these banks.

Transfer "GBP equivalent" and they send Sterling. Arrives next day.

I have for the past many years just used an ATM. Since I've found AEON, I get almost the same exchange rate as advertised on CNBC or in the Financial sections of the News etc. Just recently AEON has charged the 150 baht to withdraw o/seas funds, but the best part, there's no fees associated to the withdrawals from my Australian Bank (Bendigo).
So, all I pay is the 150 baht and if the exchange rate is roughly 30.3, I'm getting 30 from AEON.
All shopping is done with the Australian debit card. All very easy nowadays.

Hello mate, I'm sorry but I don't get it. First, what is AEON and do you have an AEON card? I did some research on the web and saw that they are a big company that is in all sorts of things including debit/credit cards. I also have a fee free debit card in Australia with BankVic, formerly Police Credit and have found that the exchange rate is lousy when I use it at an ATM.
Can you tell me the sequence of events when you withdraw money from an ATM here. My money from my pension will go into my BankVic account so I have a similar setup to you.
Thanks.
PS. Still going to come out your way, if you give me an exact day/time I will make the effort.

Hello mate, I'm sorry but I don't get it. First, what is AEON and do you have an AEON card? I did some research on the web and saw that they are a big company that is in all sorts of things including debit/credit cards. I also have a fee free debit card in Australia with BankVic, formerly Police Credit and have found that the exchange rate is lousy when I use it at an ATM.
Can you tell me the sequence of events when you withdraw money from an ATM here. My money from my pension will go into my BankVic account so I have a similar setup to you.
Thanks.
PS. Still going to come out your way, if you give me an exact day/time I will make the effort.

AEON have an ATM at Phetkasem Plaza at the back entrance, 1 at Robinson and 2 at Big C and their main office is located there as well. Use your Aus. credit or debit and the only cost is 150 baht with a good exchange rate. You can take 20k at a time. Pm me if you want further info.

If anyone can be arsed to read the story to date, this is the complaint I sent to RBSI this afternoon:

" I have been a RBSI customer for almost 20 years and I currently live in Thailand.

It has been brought to my attention that the previous method I had used for transferring monies from my Jersey account into an account in Thailand (telephone banking) was being discontinued this year.

With this in mind, earlier this year, I applied online for internet banking and this facility was granted.

Approximately four weeks ago I decided to test the system and discover how easy it was to transfer monies to my Thailand bank account. The online application required a sort code for the bank to which I wished to transfer but unfortunately my bank here does not have a sort code, only a swift code.

I went onto your online chat facility and explained this to your representative who informed me that all banks have sort codes and I should contact the head office of my bank who would provide it.

After the head office advised that banks in Asia do not have sort codes, I rang your help desk in Jersey and advised an RBSI employee. She told me that the online representative was incorrect and in fact, I didn’t have the facility to transfer monies overseas, only within Europe. I needed ibanking.

I loaded your website and attempted to print the ibanking application form but unfortunately it did not work. I rang the help desk again (same employee) who said she would request that an application form be sent to me on the following Monday (23 June) by email (it was Saturday here).

The following day instead of trying to print the application form direct from your site, I downloaded the form and it printed out satisfactorily. I therefore completed the form and, having had no response from your offices on the Monday, posted it recorded delivery on the Tuesday (24 June).

On the following Friday, I received an email from your representative with the application form attached but as I had already dispatched the completed application there was no need for me to view it.

On Saturday (5 July) I received confirmation from Thai Post that the document had been delivered successfully at you P.O. Box.

Having not received any confirmation of receipt from your office by the following Friday morning (11 July), I emailed your office, attaching the “Track and Trace” record from Thai Post. I received a response the same day stating that the document had not been received and could I advise the name of the person who signed for it. At the time it was a major Buddhist holiday in Thailand so I was unable to contact Thai Post until the following Tuesday (15 July) which I did. Thai Post confirmed that the document had been delivered but they didn’t know who had signed for it as that information was with Jersey Post Office.

I emailed your office the same day to advise them of the situation but to date (17 July) I have had no response.

In anticipation of the document being lost forever, yesterday I printed out a copy of the form sent via email to me the previous month and in completing it I found that it is different from the one previously downloaded from your website. I also noticed that there was another form attached which was for current ibank customers (which I am one) to upgrade to ibanking plus. This form, as far as I can determine, is not available from your website.

Yesterday evening I contacted your online chat again to ask the difference between ibanking and ibanking plus only to find that your employee did not know anything about ibanking plus.

Although I have now deduced that the difference is that ibanking is purely for European use whereas ibanking plus is for use worldwide.

I shall await a response to my latest email (if any) which hopefully will inform me that my application has been located and is being processed, but if not, I shall despatch an “upgrade” application (although why should I not expect that to be lost?).

Overall, I find your services very unsatisfactory and I believe in reading the above, you may understand why."

And if you read it carefully, you will note that I refrained from including the word "wankers".

Y

You got more patience and self control than me mate. Good luck.

Yesterday I had a telephone call from the "Quality Assurance Manager" [of RBSI]. I immediately asked if the call was to confirm that they had found my mislaid application but alas it was not. It was to confirm that in my case [I guess because I'm a trouble maker] the requirement to complete and post a form had been waived and the steps to provide me with the internet banking that I require have been instigated.

I'll await completion of the process before I mention "compensation".

Y (aka Job)

Last edited:
Yesterday I had a telephone call from the "Quality Assurance Manager" [of RBSI].

To be fair, I had an email from her immediately she received the complaint asking for my telephone number in order that the complaint may be discussed. I responded that I could not see that there was anything to discuss, but she persevered and I eventually gave her my number (which is on record at the bank anyway) and stipulated a convenient time for her to call.

Y (so the delay was my doing)

I don't understand why this thread has been moved to legal issues, although I only opened it in "Pensions" because there was no-where else that I could see to put it and, in fact, it is about my pension.

I don't understand why this thread has been moved to legal issues, although I only opened it in "Pensions" because there was no-where else that I could see to put it and, in fact, it is about my pension.

Sorry, the title and most posts seemed not related to pensions.
Where would you like it, Sir?

Back