U.S. dollar is now slicing through key technical levels ‘like a hot knife in butter’

Cent

FORUM SPONSOR

U.S. dollar is now slicing through key technical levels ‘like a hot knife in butter’​

Vivien Lou Chen - 13h ago
1661078600718.png
U.S. dollar is now slicing through key technical levels ‘like a hot knife in butter’
© Daniel Munoz/Agence France-Presse/Getty Images

The U.S. dollar is back on the upswing and headed toward the year-to-date highs seen in mid-July following a period of relative dormancy over the past month as investors pulled back on expectations of an imminent U.S. recession.

The ICE U.S. Dollar Index soared 0.6% to 108.12 on Friday on its way toward the 2022 high recorded on July 14. Overnight, the greenback sliced through key technical levels against three of its major counterparts — the euro, British sterling and Japanese yen — “like a hot knife in butter,” suggesting the dollar has enough momentum to keep going even higher, said Marc Chandler, managing director and chief market strategist at Bannockburn Global Forex in New York.

Much of what drives the dollar depends on what’s going on in the rest of the world. In this case, the eurozone is at risk of a recession, Russia’s economy has contracted sharply, U.K. inflation is atop 10%, China’s central bank has unexpectedly cut interest rates amid signs of slowing growth and Pacific Rim nations including Japan are on edge about a possible war over Taiwan.

“In the ugly contest, the U.S. is the least ugly,” considering signs that the world’s largest economy can keep expanding in the third quarter, Chandler said via phone. “The fundamental reason for the dollar’s uptrend resuming is that our rivals and competitors are hurting more than we are.”

Foreign exchange a key concern ahead of tech earnings as dollar remains strong

A strong dollar tends to accompany tighter financial conditions in the U.S., while easing financial conditions typically sap the greenback’s strength.
Indeed, investors were preoccupied with the prospect of higher interest rates on Friday, after monetary-policy maker Thomas Barkin of the Richmond Fed said the Federal Reserve would do what it takes to return inflation to its 2% target, though that will not happen immediately. Barkin also said getting inflation back to that target might mean “a recession could happen,” though it doesn’t have to mean a “calamitous” decline in economic activity, according to Reuters.

Generally speaking, financial markets have shifted away from fears of an imminent U.S. recession, toward expectations of a more traditional economic downturn that could take time to play out and turn out to be a not-so-hard landing. That sentiment shift was buttressed to some extent by Barkin’s comments on Friday.

Friday’s rise in the dollar was accompanied by a selloff in both stocks and bonds. All three major U.S. stock indexes finished lower amid the monthly expiration of trillions of dollars in equity-linked options, while a selloff in bonds pushed the 10-year Treasury yield to a one-month high of 2.987%.

At the Fed’s annual Jackson Hole symposium next week in Wyoming, Chairman Jerome Powell “is going to have to push back against the recent easing of financial conditions, which were premature, and major central banks will significantly tighten even if their economies slip into a recession,” Chandler said. All of those factors tend to argue in favor of continued momentum for the dollar.

Data out of Europe on Thursday pointed to record-high inflation, raising the prospect of faster central-bank action in that region. Even so, “the dollar is stronger [Friday] morning after breaking through resistance overnight,” said Jim Vogel, executive vice president of FHN Financial in Memphis. “It’s an unexpected technical change without any fresh external drivers warning of systemic global risk.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...sedgntp&cvid=5489e588712d45418e822c5803f12e5a

Last edited:
Damn near hit 37 baht to the dollar in July. Let's see what happens by Jan1.

Again, an acceleration in the USD crushes the hopes of many emerging economies while possibly pushing their allegiances elsewhere.

Sure as an expat we enjoy a stronger xe versus THB.
At the same time we become part of the problem when the currency base of emerging economies erodes, Thailand inclusive.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
Enjoy it while it lasts. Remember the elections are coming up, the interest rates will be increased again soon. The stock market will go blooey again. It will not last. The whole world needs an adjustment, housing needs to go down and be made affordable, etc etc etc. And as far as I am concerned the exchange rates have been played with for a long time. Time to get back to reality.

Last edited:
United States exports of goods and services as a percentage of GDP are 11.73% and imports of goods and services as a percentage of GDP are 14.58%.

Exports will suffer as will the jobs they produce. Imports will be cheaper but do not provide jobs.

This is not good news if it is long term.

United States exports of goods and services as a percentage of GDP are 11.73% and imports of goods and services as a percentage of GDP are 14.58%.

Exports will suffer as will the jobs they produce. Imports will be cheaper but do not provide jobs.

This is not good news if it is long term.
5555 What exports? We do not make anything any more. It's all made in China and elsewhere. The arms industry may take a hit for a while. Cheaper to buy imports with a strong dollar. And as I said, it will not last. A few months maybe. The multi billion dollar profits of the corporations (not really US corporations, but global) will tide them over. And Wall Street can get stuffed. A readjustment is needed.

Last edited:
5555 What exports? We do not make anything any more. It's all made in China and elsewhere. The arms industry may take a hit for a while. Cheaper to buy imports with a strong dollar. And as I said, it will not last. A few months maybe. The multi billion dollar profits of the corporations (not really US corporations, but global) will tide them over. And Wall Street can get stuffed. A readjustment is needed.
I'll add, imports do bring jobs. Who does the work in the states to move, stock, store, sell those imports? Who unloads the ships and the planes? Drives the trucks, trains etc? American workers.

Viewing the numbers above means 75% of GDP is produced and consumed within the USA.

I wonder what percentage of that is large cap oil& gas, food & produce, healthcare, pharma, consumer discretionary spending, heavy industries including mining.

Last edited:
Again, an acceleration in the USD crushes the hopes of many emerging economies while possibly pushing their allegiances elsewhere.

Sure as an expat we enjoy a stronger xe versus THB.
At the same time we become part of the problem when the currency base of emerging economies erodes, Thailand inclusive.

Edit: spelling
Which basically, here in Thailand, affects the haves, not the have nots. The poor survive with their 'sufficiency economy' that the land and forests and waters provide them, as it always has. What a laugh. The ones in the country will get by, at least better than the poor in BKK and the big cities. The middle class will get hit, but really they are all way too far in debt anyways. (And I'll add, a stronger dollar helps our families as well, as we spend those dollars turned into baht here where WE live and consume.) And remember where the big city poor end up when necessary here, back in the villages and farms.

Which basically, here in Thailand, affects the haves, not the have nots. The poor survive with their 'sufficiency economy' that the land and forests and waters provide them, as it always has. What a laugh. The ones in the country will get by, at least better than the poor in BKK and the big cities. The middle class will get hit, but really they are all way too far in debt anyways. (And I'll add, a stronger dollar helps our families as well, as we spend those dollars turned into baht here where WE live and consume.) And remember where the big city poor end up when necessary here, back in the villages and farms.

So do you really want the Thai children of the future stuck in the whole of rural life.
I do not believe that is their hope and dreams.

The middle class is the future for most societies, Thai inclusive. Crushing them further is the major complaint heard globally.
Ie: Sri Lanka of late

Oh sure, our families will benefit. That really warms the cockles of the majority of Thai families.

(C'mon Cent, I believe you know better.)

Okay. Over 'n out. I cannot spend more time presently.
Everybody is entitled to their own 'onion'.
Smoke 'em if you got 'em. Nighty night.

Last edited:
So do you really want the Thai children of the future stuck in the whole of rural life.
I do not believe that is their hope and dreams.

The middle class is the future for most societies, Thai inclusive. Crushing them further is the major complaint heard globally.
Ie: Sri Lanka of late

Oh sure, our families will benefit. That really warms the cockles of the majority of Thai families.

(C'mon Cent, I believe you know better.)

Okay. Over 'n out. I cannot spend more time presently.
Everybody is entitled to their own 'onion'.
Smoke 'em if you got 'em. Nighty night.
Tomorrow then. Sleep tight. I'll let you know how misguided you are in the morning. :)

@Coffee I think you are looking at this in an oddly skewed way as to what a rise in the exchange of USD to Baht will bring about.

"So do you really want the Thai children of the future stuck in the whole of rural life.
I do not believe that is their hope and dreams."

Please explain how a stronger dollar will have this affect on Thai children. You are not making any sense.

"The middle class is the future for most societies, Thai inclusive. Crushing them further is the major complaint heard globally.
Ie: Sri Lanka of late"

How will a stronger dollar 'crush' the Thai middle class? Most middle class jobs are paid in baht. Teachers, police, government workers, etc. All paid in baht, which a stronger USD has no effect on. Please explain how you have come to this conclusion.

"Oh sure, our families will benefit. That really warms the cockles of the majority of Thai families."

Oh stop it. My USD in the states in my bank has no effect on anything here. Once I exchange my USD into baht it gives me more disposable income. Where will I spend this extra disposable income? Here in Thailand. Which adds to the local economy here in my area of domicile. Cockles? Why would Thais care about my extra income, and why would it bother them in the least? Especially as I would be spending it here, basically giving extra income to the businesses here and helping their businesses and the general economy. Sure it helps my family a bit, but again, where will they spend that extra dosh? Here. In Surin most likely. Or maybe elsewhere around the country if that extra disposable income is used for a bit of travel around the country.

"(C'mon Cent, I believe you know better.)"

Don't talk down to me you doofus. Of course I know better and have done nothing to do any harm to this country or its people, my home for decades, with a business and family, extended family even, I have helped over many years. A stronger dollar for me adds to the benefits I can provide to all, for as long as it lasts at least, and those people and places whose businesses I deal with.

No one in Thailand will be harmed in any way with the stronger dollar except the rich corporations possibly having to spend more baht doing their business overseas, and the Thai stock exchange possibly - which none but the well off can afford to play in and speculate. It will do some damage to those that play in the money markets, which they can likely well afford. So what. Not the poor, not the middle class, not your average Thai or their children.

Please explain your reasoning on your thoughts, because I can't see what the hell you are going on about on this exchange rate doing harm to your average Thai. This not the same as the '97 baht crash. It is gradual and will not hurt the Thai people I know. Worry about inflation (which is world wide and can be placed right at Putin's feet due to his ill thought out war of aggression against a peaceful neighboring country, and the fact the Thai government did very little for those here who needed some help the most during the 'pandemic' and many lost their businesses which provided for lots of peoples jobs and income.

@Coffee I think you are looking at this in an oddly skewed way as to what a rise in the exchange of USD to Baht will bring about.

"So do you really want the Thai children of the future stuck in the whole of rural life.
I do not believe that is their hope and dreams."

Please explain how a stronger dollar will have this affect on Thai children. You are not making any sense.

"The middle class is the future for most societies, Thai inclusive. Crushing them further is the major complaint heard globally.
Ie: Sri Lanka of late"

How will a stronger dollar 'crush' the Thai middle class? Most middle class jobs are paid in baht. Teachers, police, government workers, etc. All paid in baht, which a stronger USD has no effect on. Please explain how you have come to this conclusion.

"Oh sure, our families will benefit. That really warms the cockles of the majority of Thai families."

Oh stop it. My USD in the states in my bank has no effect on anything here. Once I exchange my USD into baht it gives me more disposable income. Where will I spend this extra disposable income? Here in Thailand. Which adds to the local economy here in my area of domicile. Cockles? Why would Thais care about my extra income, and why would it bother them in the least? Especially as I would be spending it here, basically giving extra income to the businesses here and helping their businesses and the general economy. Sure it helps my family a bit, but again, where will they spend that extra dosh? Here. In Surin most likely. Or maybe elsewhere around the country if that extra disposable income is used for a bit of travel around the country.

"(C'mon Cent, I believe you know better.)"

Don't talk down to me you doofus. Of course I know better and have done nothing to do any harm to this country or its people, my home for decades, with a business and family, extended family even, I have helped over many years. A stronger dollar for me adds to the benefits I can provide to all, for as long as it lasts at least, and those people and places whose businesses I deal with.

No one in Thailand will be harmed in any way with the stronger dollar except the rich corporations possibly having to spend more baht doing their business overseas, and the Thai stock exchange possibly - which none but the well off can afford to play in and speculate. It will do some damage to those that play in the money markets, which they can likely well afford. So what. Not the poor, not the middle class, not your average Thai or their children.

Please explain your reasoning on your thoughts, because I can't see what the hell you are going on about on this exchange rate doing harm to your average Thai. This not the same as the '97 baht crash. It is gradual and will not hurt the Thai people I know. Worry about inflation (which is world wide and can be placed right at Putin's feet due to his ill thought out war of aggression against a peaceful neighboring country, and the fact the Thai government did very little for those here who needed some help the most during the 'pandemic' and many lost their businesses which provided for lots of peoples jobs and income.

Many facets of the world economy are based on a USD.

1. Look at the price of oil. A weaker THB increases the price...of almost anything connected including power for households and businesses locally.

2. Thai farmers have to pay more for fertilizers, nutrients and herbicides/ pesticides...while their purchasing power is eroded locally.

3. The cost of all consumerable electronics and automotive equipment will increase putting them further out of the average citizens reach locally.

4. Livestock downstrean prices to consumers will increase due to higher commodity prices locally.

5. Increased interest rates diminish purchasing power for the middle class and the increased rate of exchange makes it more difficult for foreign nations to pay back US-based loans.

6. Construction materials and products increase in price locally.

7. These additional costs pull purchasing power away from the middle class. They lose purchasing power for discretionary spending which entail decreases jobs (ie: in retail, restaurants, malls, hotel, travel etc)

8. Read what economists say a rising US$ does to emerging economies. Expert opinions...not the rah-rah.

9. Call someone a doofus ? Sure. It's a happy forum afterall. Alas (like others) I no longer have time on this, your thread.
Take care. C ya. Peace.

Edited.

Last edited:
Since the end of WW2 there has been 14 cycles of increasing interest rates. 11 or 78% of the interest rate hikes have ended in recession.

The average duration of the 11 recessions between 1945 and 2001 is 10 months, compared to 18 months for recessions between 1919 and 1945.

Three years ago this month the baht was stronger than it had been for a while. We were getting a low baht exchange rate for the USD. The Thai gov and banks were trying to depreciate the value of the baht, as it was hurting certain industries being so high. Now the reverse is happening and the baht is depreciating against the USD. They are getting some help now depreciating the baht by the strong dollar. It's a cycle. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. It goes both ways. It's a delicate balance that the banks have to deal with. Back 3 years ago Thailand had a strong economy and healthy foreign reserves. This was before the pandemic hit, just as it hit most countries economies globally. The USA has had a strong rebound of their economy, being first to be able to start the economic engine running again so to speak. It will take others some time to do the same. In the meantime I'll enjoy the stronger dollar exchange and its benefits while it lasts and not feel guilty about it one whit. The exchange had been getting weaker and weaker for the USD against the baht for quite a few years. I'll enjoy it for a change now it is reversed, and if it continues, will take the extra largess and do some trips around the country on my return from the USA in October. The extra will be spent in Thailand, or maybe some in Laos and Vietnam even.

What Does a Rising Baht Mean for Thailand’s Economy?​

A closer look at the economic implications of recent currency appreciation for the country.
By Phornchanok Cumperayot
August 30, 2019

What Does a Rising Baht Mean for Thailand’s Economy?

Credit: Flickr/Prachatai

The Thai baht has been the best performing currency in emerging Asia since 2018. On a year-on-year basis, it has roared more than 8 percent against the U.S. dollar and this year reached a six-year high. But according to news headlines and commentary, the strong currency has lowered the country’s competitiveness and worsened both goods exports and tourism, two major drivers of Thailand’s economy.

Currency appreciation is not unique to Thailand.
Bank of Thailand (BOT) officials and currency analysts explain the strength of the baht by domestic factors. Thailand’s solid economic fundamentals — a current account surplus and substantial foreign reserves together with a hawkish central bank — lure capital inflows. Many consider the baht a safe haven currency among other emerging market currencies due to its stability. (As many consider the USD a 'safe haven'.) -Mike As a result, the baht is likely to retain or increase in value, attracting speculative capital inflows and placing upward pressure on the currency.

In early 2019, the BOT did not seem concerned about the Thai baht’s appreciation, as a strong currency can actually benefit Thai importers and those who have foreign currency debts. It can also help improve the country’s terms of trade.

But the baht’s persistent strength and its potential negative impacts on the export-driven Thai economy have since prompted concern. Exports contracted for a fourth straight month in June and the BOT revised its GDP growth forecast for 2019 downward, from 3.8 percent to 3.3 percent.
Measures have since been taken to reduce baht appreciation. In July 2019, the BOT lowered the cap on the outstanding balance of non-resident accounts by a third and cut its supply of three- and six-month bonds at auctions in July and August. In addition, the BOT has signalled plans to further relax restrictions on outward portfolio investment by Thai investors, which can also help stem currency appreciation. In August 2019, the BOT cut the policy rate by 25 basis points from 1.75 percent to 1.5, a shift in the BOT policy stance since a raise by 25 basis points in December 2018.

Still, many believe that these measures are inadequate. There are three main further measures being discussed: foreign exchange intervention aimed directly at the baht’s value, a policy rate cut, and imposing capital controls to curb speculative inflows.

The BOT regularly intervenes in the foreign exchange market, but with strong market expectations this can be costly and countereffective. By purchasing foreign reserves in exchange for Thai baht, the central bank in practice helps keep the baht cheap and less volatile. Increasing foreign reserves and the stability of the baht could further reinforce its character as a safe haven currency.

BOT intervention makes the baht an ideal speculative asset. This can create a spiral of bullish speculation — followed by more foreign exchange intervention — leaving the economy with high liquidity or high interest rates if the central bank mops up excess liquidity through open market sales. The central bank also incurs costs when there are increases in the interest rate differentials between domestic and foreign assets and when the BOT fails to prevent baht appreciation.

The large amount of foreign exchange reserves (39.9 percent of GDP and over 200 percent of the IMF’s standard reserve adequacy metric in 2018) may put Thailand on the U.S. watch list for currency manipulators. Overall, bold intervention by the BOT is unlikely.

To tame offshore fund inflows causing a rapid appreciation of the baht, capital controls are effective at least in the short to medium term. But capital controls have long-lasting adverse consequences, affecting the country’s credibility and financial markets. In 2006, the BOT imposed controls on capital inflows to stem a previous bout of strong baht appreciation. The stock market plummeted and bond yields spiked, causing the central bank to lift some of the controls within a day. Thus capital controls are also unlikely given their long-term impact.

The most requested measure by the private sector is for the central bank to cut the policy rate. A common belief is that further rate cuts would make the Thai baht less attractive for foreign investors, reducing pressure on the baht. Yet, if the funds flow into Thailand because of the safe haven currency perception, rather than for a high yield, it is unclear whether rate cuts will be effective. More importantly, easing policy may worsen already elevated household debt, which is 78.6 percent of GDP (among the highest in Asia), jeopardizing Thailand’s financial stability. But it may be Thailand’s only option given that a fragile political situation may thwart more fiscal stimulus.

The strong baht may just be a product of global trends that are contracting exports, particularly sluggish global growth and trade tensions. Further, to weaken the baht is not easy when other countries are pursuing even more aggressive easing policies. Still, many hope for at least another rate cut this year, even if it may increase household debt.

Amid this debate, let’s not forget that ultimately the central bank is there for stability. The central bank should not be expected to subsidize a cheap export sales strategy if it interferes with the BOT’s main priority of economic stability. Exchange rate fluctuations are simply a fact of life under non-pegged regimes. Policy efforts are better aimed at helping exporters to sell products with higher added value, rather than competing on low prices.

Phornchanok Cumperayot is Associate Professor with the Faculty of Economics at Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok. This article was originally published over at the East Asia Forum here.

Last edited:
And now the Yuan. China seems to be trying some rate adjustments in response to their own issues. How will that affect us here?

China's yuan falls after the central bank cuts rates for the 2nd time in as many weeks to revive the economy​

bevans@insider.com (Brian Evans) - Yesterday 9:11 PM
1661243102033.png
Yi Gang, President of the People's Bank of China. Wang Zhao/AFP/Getty Images
Yi Gang, President of the People's Bank of China. Wang Zhao/AFP/Getty Images© Wang Zhao/AFP/Getty Images
  • The Chinese yuan fell Monday as Beijing initiated a second interest rate hike in two weeks.
  • The yuan sunk to a two year low on the news.
  • China is taking strong action to reactivate credit activity and investment in the country.
China's yuan ticked down to a two-year low Monday, following a second consecutive interest rate cut by authorities in Beijing in two weeks.
The yuan was changing hands at 6.86 against the dollar, as Beijing aggressively tries to reinvigorate its credit sector following a pandemic-related slump that has turned markets sour. The People's Bank of China slashed its benchmark five-year loan prime rate to 4.30% from 4.45% in a small incremental change. The increases follow a previous 10 basis-point rate hike last week of China's one-year medium-term lending facility loans.

Analysts speaking to CNBC say that while the latest rate cut in China is encouraging, a more impactful move would be for the country to loosen stringent Covid-19 regulations meant to enforce Beijing's "Zero-Covid" policy. Chinese markets have remained subdued as the country recovers from the pandemic.

China has been slower to aggressively tackle inflation, and instead has eased policy in contrast to sharp rate hikes from the US Federal Reserve and other central banks. China's last three benchmark rate increases are the country's strongest moves yet to move forward from the Covid-19 pandemic's battering of its economy.

Read the original article on Business Insider
China Central Bank Unexpectedly Cuts Key Rate to Spur Growth

Euro falls below parity with the dollar. What's the impact?​

The euro has fallen below parity with the dollar, diving to its lowest level in 20 years and ending a one-to-one exchange rate with the U.S. currency
By The Associated Press
August 23, 2022, 9:13 PM

WireAP_1549284fcc434ba6b404fc0c99e32762_16x9_992.jpg

The euro has fallen below parity with the dollar, diving to its lowest level in 20 years and ending a one-to-one exchange rate with the U.S. currency.

It's a psychological barrier in the markets. But psychology is important, and the euro's slide underlines the foreboding in the 19 European countries using the currency as they struggle with an energy crisis caused by Russia's war in Ukraine.

Here's why the euro's slide is happening and what impact it could have:

WHAT DOES EURO AND DOLLAR PARITY MEAN?

It means the European and American currencies are worth the same amount. While constantly changing, the euro has dropped just below a value of $1 this week.

A currency's exchange rate can be a verdict on economic prospects, and Europe's have been fading. Expectations that the economy would see a rebound after turning the corner from the COVID-19 pandemic have been replaced by recession predictions.

More than anything, high energy prices and record inflation are to blame. Europe is far more dependent on Russian oil and natural gas than the U.S. to keep industry humming and generate electricity. Fears that the war in Ukraine will lead to a loss of Russian oil on global markets have pushed oil prices higher. And Russia has been cutting back natural gas supplies to the European Union, which EU leaders described as retaliation for sanctions and weapons deliveries to Ukraine.

Energy prices have driven euro-area inflation to a record 8.9% in July, making everything from groceries to utility bills more expensive. They also have raised fears about governments needing to ration natural gas to industries like steel, glassmaking and agriculture if Russia further reduces or shuts off the gas taps completely.

The sense of doom increased as Russia reduced the flows through the Nord Stream 1 pipeline to Germany to 20% of capacity and said it would shut it down for three days next week for “routine maintenance” at a compressor station.

Natural gas prices on Europe’s TTF benchmark have soared to record highs amid dwindling supplies, fears of further cutoffs and strong demand.

“If you think Euro at parity is cheap, think again," Robin Brooks, chief economist at the Institute of International Finance banking trade group, tweeted Monday. “German manufacturing lost access to cheap Russian energy & thus its competitive edge."

“Global recession is coming," he said in a second tweet.

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME THE EURO WAS EQUAL TO THE DOLLAR?

The euro was last valued below $1 on July 15, 2002.

The European currency hit its all-time high of $1.18 shortly after its launch on Jan. 1, 1999, but then began a long slide, falling through the $1 mark in February 2000 and hitting a record low of 82.30 cents in October 2000. It rose above parity in 2002 as large trade deficits and accounting scandals on Wall Street weighed on the dollar.

Then as now, what appears to be a euro story is also in many ways a dollar story. That’s because the U.S. dollar is still the world’s dominant currency for trade and central bank reserves. And the dollar has been hitting 20-year highs against the currencies of its major trading partners, not just the euro.

The dollar is also benefiting from its status as a safe haven for investors in times of uncertainty.

WHY IS THE EURO FALLING?

Many analysts attribute the euro's slide to expectations for rapid interest rate increases by the U.S. Federal Reserve to combat inflation at close to 40-year highs.

As the Fed raises interest rates, the rates on interest-bearing investments tend to rise as well. If the Fed raises rates more than the European Central Bank, higher interest returns will attract investor money from euros into dollar-denominated investments. Those investors will have to sell euros and buy dollars to buy those holdings. That drives the euro down and the dollar up.

Last month, the ECB raised interest rates for the first time in 11 years by a larger-than-expected half-percentage point. It is expected to add another increase in September. But if the economy sinks into recession, that could halt the ECB's series of rate increases.

Meanwhile, the U.S. economy looks more robust, meaning the Fed could go on tightening — and widen the rate gap.

WHO WINS?

American tourists in Europe will find cheaper hotel and restaurant bills and admission tickets. The weaker euro could make European export goods more competitive on price in the United States. The U.S. and the EU are major trade partners, so the exchange rate shift will get noticed.

In the U.S., a stronger dollar means lower prices on imported goods — from cars and computers to toys and medical equipment — which could help moderate inflation.

WHO LOSES?

American companies that do a lot of business in Europe will see the revenue from those businesses shrink when and if they bring those earnings back to the U.S. If euro earnings remain in Europe to cover costs there, the exchange rate becomes less of an issue.

A key worry for the U.S. is that a stronger dollar makes U.S.-made products more expensive in overseas markets, widening the trade deficit and reducing economic output, while giving foreign products a price edge in the United States.

A weaker euro can be a headache for the European Central Bank because it can mean higher prices for imported goods, particularly oil, which is priced in dollars. The ECB is already being pulled in different directions: It is raising interest rates, the typical medicine for inflation, but higher rates also can slow economic growth.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=fb8d...wYXJpdHktZG9sbGFyLWltcGFjdC04ODczNTkyNQ&ntb=1

World stocks steady, dollar ticks up on Powell-watch​

By Carolyn Cohn and Stella Qiu - 13h ago

By Carolyn Cohn and Stella Qiu
FILE PHOTO: Senate Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs Committee hearing in Washington
FILE PHOTO: Senate Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs Committee hearing in Washington© Reuters/POOL New

LONDON/SYDNEY (Reuters) - World stocks were flat on Friday and the dollar edged up as traders and investors awaited a speech from Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell for clues on the gradient of the U.S. central bank's rate-hike path.

Investors have pared back expectations that the Fed could pivot to a slower pace of rate hikes, as U.S. inflation remains at 8.5% on an annual basis, well above the central bank's 2% target. But Powell's speech at 1400 GMT at the Fed's annual conference at Jackson Hole will be scrutinised for any indication that an economic slowdown might alter its strategy.

Interest rate futures now imply a 60% chance of a 75 basis point (bps) Fed hike in September.

"The Fed and other central banks have been falling asleep at the wheel over inflation, now they are desperate to regain crediblity," said Luca Paolini, chief strategist at Pictet Asset Management.

"Economists are clearly calling for the Fed not to blink, and if anything accelerate the pace of tightening."

MSCI's world equity index was little changed and was heading for a modest 0.5% drop on the week.
U.S. S&P futures fell 0.25%, European stocks edged up 0.16% and Britain's FTSE 100 rose 0.58%.

German consumer sentiment is set to hit a record low for the third month in a row in September as households brace for surging energy bills, a survey showed, while French consumer confidence unexpectedly rose in August.

Overnight on Wall Street, stocks rose while Treasury yields slipped, as investors digested comments from Fed officials who continued hammering the point that they will drive rates up and keep them there until inflation has been squeezed from the economy.

"So it is a fair bet that the Powell speech will take a similar turn today," said Robert Carnell, regional head of Research, Asia-Pacific, at ING.

"If so, the most likely market reaction would be a rise in yields at both the front and back of the yield curve, a sell-off in equities and dollar strength, as markets seem to have been positioning themselves for a more supportive set of comments."

The dollar firmed by a slight 0.1% against a basket of major currencies, close to recent 20-year highs.

The euro was little changed at $0.9968 after hitting a 20-year low of $0.9899 earlier this week, with Fed rate hike expectations supporting the U.S. currency.

The dollar rose 0.4% to 137.04 yen.

Sterling fell 0.44% against the dollar after Britain's energy regulator said energy bills will rise 80% from October.

The yield on benchmark U.S. 10-year Treasury notes rose 5 bps to 3.0762%, while the two-year yield touched 3.3925%, up by 2 bps. German 10-year bond yields rose 3 bps to 1.351%.

MSCI's broadest index of Asia-Pacific shares outside Japan rose 0.5% to one-week highs.

Resources-heavy Australia shares gained 0.8% while Japan's Nikkei advanced 0.6%.

A surge in Chinese tech shares listed in Hong Kong, buoyed by hopes for an audit deal between the United States and China, ran out of steam though the index was up 0.55%, while Chinese shares, gripped by domestic economic worries and Fed rate hikes, dipped 0.2%.

The Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday that Washington and Beijing are nearing an agreement that allows American accounting regulators to travel to Hong Kong to inspect audit records of U.S.-listed Chinese companies.

Oil rose on signs of improving fuel demand, although further gains were capped as the market awaited Powell's speech. [O/R]

Brent crude rose 1.4% to $100.69 per barrel and U.S. crude was also up by 1.4% to $100.61 a barrel.

Spot gold was traded at $1752 per ounce, down 0.36%. [GOL/]

(Editing by Sam Holmes and Kim Coghill)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...sedgntp&cvid=3f6e3848d9de46f5f107709197839e78

Attachments

• 1661527964378.png
    1661527964378.png
    68 bytes · Views: 0
Back