Uk Pension Amounts

A

alan crisp

My friend will be 65 in August and I'm inquiring about what amount he will get as a pension,he has max contributions in the UK and he now lives in Thailand .

Any information would be helpful,I understand the basic pension is around £97 a week but he seems to think its £133

What is the procedure for him to claim his pension and get paid to his Thailand bank?

To the OP. From the web site, the basic UK State Pension for 2010 - 2011 is £97.65 per week for a single man or a woman. I think I am right in saying that the married persons pension effectively disappeared on 6 April 2010. That is, anyone who was not yet 65 years of age on that date is no longer eligible to claim the supplementary dependants allowance (66% of the primary rate). Also, if you are a pensioner living in the UK, you may qualify for Pension Credit, which would give a guaranteed rate of £132.60 per week rising to £202.40 if you had a partner.

As it is, I think your friend is only eligible for the basic, single persons rate of £97.65 per week. Finally, as he is living in Thailand, this rate will remain unchanged and will not benefit from the annual increase announced by the Government in this afternoon's budget. His pension will be 'pegged' at £97.65 for the remainder of his life.

P.S. I am not an expert in this field although I maintain a close interest. I am due to receive my State Pension within the next 3 years.

Single man or woman £97.65

Last edited:
AC. With regards to part 2 of your question, he should contact the Department of Works and Pension (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) if he has not already heard from them. Alternatively, I think he can download the forms from the Internet. I understand that they intend to put the claims system 'on-line' sometime in the near future. Be advised, the claims process is very, very slow and painful. I have been assisting a friend to claim his State Pension. He submitted his claim in October 2009, 4 months in advance of his 65th birthday in February 2010. As of this date, the pension has not yet been paid. Finally, I understand that they will pay the money into a UK bank account. Up to your friend, and at his expense, how this is transferred to his Thai bank account.

This information is provided in good faith. However, someone with practical experience and already in receipt of his State Pension, may be in a better position to correct any mis-understandings I may have.

as far as i understand dot tell them when you left the UK otherwise it will go down or back tro the rate off that year

i don't think that is right Tony.

I believe it starts when you are 65 (for most of us) and it is pegged at the rate at THAT time - unless you you return to the UK and claim an increase (the bugger off back to Thailand having decided it is too cold in the UK).

I would have chimed in before, but the post got going after my bed-time!

An excellent and correct summary by Nomad 97.

To confirm, when living in Thailand, the pension is frozen from the time you first receive it. For most of us that will (currently) be age 65. But if you wish to defer claiming for a year or more, then regardless of your age when you do eventually claim, you will receive the rate then payable after which it will be frozen.

Some people will try and get round the freezing by not declaring that they are in Thailand. My advice on this is Don't Do IT. Sooner or later they will find out and you will be in very big trouble. :NoNo3::Cry3:

I agree with Nick. It cannot be too far away for the Customs 1/2 and the Excise 1/2, of the same 'firm' to put 1 and 1 together. Your Bio-chipped passport will be tracked and then your pension reduced to cover overpayments and a fine.

Thats just my personal opinion of what could happen.

Was there not a post here a while back saying the pension can now be sent to a Thai Bank, or did I dream that?

UK Pension

Yes , I read somewhere also that they will pay it into an overseas bank . To give you some idea as to how slow they are , last November 16th I took Nicks advice and notified them that as from that date I was living in Thailand and that I wish to claim a wifes allowance . At that date you could still claim . We had been married in England 2 years before and I had never thought to claim . As of this date I am still awaiting the wifes allowance . Also prior to my letter , I was receiving £133 per week and they IMMEDIATELY dropped it to £108 per week . So whatever , don't hold your breath and expect the worst . For you to get good efficient service from the UK now , you need to be an illegal immigrant . :Admin:

Hell, you guys are get a rough deal. It stinks. I won't complain about what I get now.

True, but someone has to pay for the 3 out of 4 housholds not working and the 1500 illegal imigrants/asylum seekers PER DAY!

uk pensions

Since posting my last post on the subject of UK Pensions , I have today received a response to my application . The upshot is that my pension has been fixed at £117,78 per week plus £44.50 for the wife making a total of £162.28 per week - A big laugh - within that figure is £0.25 per week for being over 80 !! Thank goodness I have a Company Pension .:Bow5:

Imagine living on that in the UK,Bill!!!!!!

I suppose you would get more & pension credit & a free mobility car(maybe)

Those mobility cars are a winner down soi 7/8 in Pattaya.

If you are a dward or have a disability the girls are very attentive.

(This is not meant to disrespect dwarfs or spazzies, I am just pointing out that the girls seem to give a lot of attention to them).

I think you misunderstand the concept of mobility cars,Ray. You can chose nearly any car if you are willing to pay intop of the standard allowance. My mate has a really nice sporty Ford Focus. He showed me the options including Jags/Range Rovers/BMW's ect.....

Dave, dave, Dave,

have you tried to get one of those up Soi 8 ?

and we pay the same price as the blokes built like donkeys :ILoveSex1:

In response the the usual opening question of "Where are you from" I usually respond:-

"Buriram, I have a wife there and I have a small dick".

The response is normally - "OK, but I take of you tonight, I not like big ham"

and we pay the same price as the blokes built like donkeys :ILoveSex1:

In response the the usual opening question of "Where are you from" I usually respond:-

"Buriram, I have a wife there and I have a small dick".

The response is normally - "OK, but I take of you tonight, I not like big ham"

I see we use the same chat up lines Ray,except I say"Surin":D

Back