UK Pensions

It's not worth bothering about at today's interest rates. Bugger all of bugger all is still bugger all.

However, I have informed PPF of my dissatisfaction and intend to redirect my payments via "Wise" in the future.

For comparison though, a colleague in Calgary received his payment into Bank of Montreal on 27th December 2023.

From: Resolutions Team <ResolutionsTeam@ppf.co.uk [Jan 5, 2024]

Dear Mr. Yorky

Thank you for your recent correspondence, which has been shared with the Resolutions Team. Attached you’ll find a leaflet that will confirm our PPF complaints process, you can also find it using the following link: PPF Complaints Leaflet (ppfmembers.org.uk).

We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had cause to complain as our organisation thrives on delivering a high level of service.

We assure you that we take complaints seriously and we’ll proceed immediately with investigating this complaint. You’ll be advised of our progress in the next ten working days.

In the meantime, please contact us if we can be of any further service to you.

To get in touch with us

If you’d like to talk to us about this email, please call us on 0330 123 2222 between 09:00 and 17:30 Monday to Friday (except public holidays). We also provide a secure messaging system through our member website www.ppf.co.uk/members. Our postal address is Pension Protection Fund, PO Box 254, WYMONDHAM, NR18 8DN and our email address is resolutionsteam@ppf.co.uk.

Your sincerely

Nick Bryant
Resolutions Case Handler
Pension Protection Fund

To: Resolutions Team <ResolutionsTeam@ppf.co.uk [Jan 6, 2024]

For the attention of Nick Bryant.

Dear Sirs,

Reference your email above could you please confirm that if my complaint is upheld you will either:

a) Change your third party PPF transfer organisation to one who is willing to effect immediate transfers?

or

b) Instruct your current third party PPF transfer organisation to effect immediate transfers in the future?

If neither of the above, there appears to be no point in proceeding with this matter.

Regards.

In theory YES, but in practice I doubt it since the claim was agreed before the increase which applies from next April.

DWP are usually very precise with their figures.

Pension before April will be at the old rate with the increase applied to payments due after 8th April.

DWP are usually very precise with their figures.

Pension before April will be at the old rate with the increase applied to payments due after 8th April.
I have received no confirmation stating a date or figure of commencement.
All I got was a short SMS saying application received and being worked on.

I have received no confirmation stating a date or figure of commencement.
All I got was a short SMS saying application received and being worked on.
Your first payment will be within 5 weeks of reaching State Pension age. You'll get a full payment every 4 weeks after that. You might get part of a payment before your first full payment.

Elsewhere, an expat asked that if he travelled to another country - in the EU - would he qualify for an increase in his State Pension to the level it would have been had he remained in the UK instead of living in Thailand. He proposed to then return to Thailand and continue to claim the UK rate including further increases to follow. Someone replied that he would, but failed to add that on his return to Thailand, if he was truthful and admitted his return, the rate he'd receive would revert to the rate at which his state pension is currently frozen here.

The way it’s going, buses will be picking people up from nursing homes and driving them to work. Time to fight back.
67 is old enough already. What if you worked in a physically demanding work place. I am glad I retired when I did. I really don't think I would be up to climbing a 40m radar tower more then once in a day (I think I would still be able to do it at least once). Most extensive repair jobs require you to go up and down at least 4 times in a day. It kept me fit!

67 is old enough already. What if you worked in a physically demanding work place. I am glad I retired when I did. I really don't think I would be up to climbing a 40m radar tower more then once in a day (I think I would still be able to do it at least once). Most extensive repair jobs require you to go up and down at least 4 times in a day. It kept me fit!
Quite right. As well, companies are trying to get rid of you when you turn fifty. Even in big organisations, sections are privatised, sold off whatever and staff find themselves out of a job. That was my experience with the old PMG, Telecom Australia and Telstra. Eventually, I had to get out and worked in jobs I hated for the last 25 years of my working life. Glad I retired when I did as well.

I couldn’t climb a 40 m tower if I was offered a million bucks. No good on heights. If I was over six feet tall I’d be a nervous wreck.

There is no law saying what age you must get to before retirement.

67 is the age at which you receive the UK state pension.

To be honest, if you get to 67 and have to rely solely on a state pension, you have made some very bad life choices.

I'm sure many would agree.

There is no law saying what age you must get to before retirement.

67 is the age at which you receive the UK state pension.

To be honest, if you get to 67 and have to rely solely on a state pension, you have made some very bad life choices.

I'm sure many would agree.

Many people on low wages simply don't earn enough money to save into a pension fund. That's where compulsory saving, imposed by governments - sometimes disguised as taxes - protect the financial interests of retirees, such as is the case with the UK State Pension which is funded by both general taxes and by National Insurance contributions from wages.

It is sometimes described as Government provided. Whilst that's true for the the mechanism involved, it needs to be remembered that all of the money comes from deductions made from wages and salaries, and not by a benevolent government! The purchasing value of the State Pension varies with cost of living inflation and the whim of the Treasury in deciding how much retirees receive.

It is a common statement now that UK State Pensions benefits have been increased of late, and that the amount of the increases is greater than elsewhere in Europe. What is not said is that the actual amount paid in the UK is often WAY below the amount paid in Europe, and tables are available which demonstrate this clearly. As with a bucket of water, only so much water can be removed before it becomes empty, and no government wants to increase the amount of taxes collected - especially in the run in to elections. Small contributions equate with small pensions, and that is a part of the problem in Britain.

Back