UK State Pension

I can relate 100% to that rationale - so I have also signed up.

Don't think I will be as speedy as Nomad though.

I am even more of an Express reader than I was a couple of hours ago. This morning I installed a Samsung 250GB M2 970 Evo NVME in my computer, the same NVME that @mario299 installed in his computer. Wow! It knocks the spots off my old SATA M2 SSD. According to a comparison test between my old SATA SSD and the new NVME SSD this one is 333% faster. That means I am now officially more express than I was before. As they used to say in Preston - this PC is now 'cooking on gas'! :D:D:D

I am even more of an Express reader than I was a couple of hours ago. This morning I installed a Samsung 250GB M2 970 Evo NVME in my computer, the same NVME that @mario299 installed in his computer. Wow! It knocks the spots off my old SATA M2 SSD. According to a comparison test between my old SATA SSD and the new NVME SSD this one is 333% faster. That means I am now officially more express than I was before. As they used to say in Preston - this PC is now 'cooking on gas'! :D:D:D

Careful Nomad, you will soon meet yourself coming back...........

LOL I knew you wouldn't wait for too long.:blush::blush:

LOL I knew you wouldn't wait for too long.:blush::blush:
Having played with your computer for a couple of hours I just knew what I was missing. Just finished cloning and repartitioning the new drive. The 970 EVO NVME is now my primary boot drive and the old WD SSD will be my reserve boot drive.

Both my laptop and my desktop are 1000 times faster than my brain (at least) so I can keep up easily.

FROZEN STATE PENSION

UK governments reply received this morning

There are no plans to change the policy. The Government continues to up-rate the State Pension where there is a legal requirement to do so.
The UK Government has no plans to change the current arrangements for payment of UK State Pension overseas.
The United Kingdom’s state pension system is primarily designed for the benefit of those who are resident in the UK. It is, however, payable worldwide and is uprated in the UK and also in countries abroad where there is a legal requirement to do so. This is a longstanding policy and has been implemented by successive Governments of all political persuasions for over 70 years. The policy has been the subject of Parliamentary debates over time and has been approved by Parliament and the Courts.

The rate of National Insurance contributions paid has never earned entitlement to the uprating of pensions payable abroad. This reflects the fact that the UK scheme is primarily designed for those living in the UK. The National Insurance scheme operates on a “pay-as-you-go” basis. Contributions paid into the National Insurance Fund in any year finance contributory benefit expenditure in the same year. A person’s contributions provide a foundation for calculating their future benefit entitlement but do not actually pay for those benefits.
UK expenditure on health care costs depends on where the UK pensioner settles. While the location may be decided by the pensioner, individual countries have their own immigration policies in relation to older economically inactive people. Paying uprating to UK pension recipients in countries where it is not currently paid would mean an immediate increase in costs.
There are now around 1.2 million UK State Pension recipients who are overseas residents and around 0.5 million of them do not receive increases. It would cost over £0.6bn extra a year to up-rate these pensions fully, that is to pay the pension at the rate that would be applicable if the pensioner had lived in the UK throughout. Paying future increases only would cost tens of millions in the short term but would lead to the cost of full uprating (£0.6bn) in the longer term as older pensioners died and new pensioners became entitled to fully up-rated state pensions.
Cost has always been a factor in deciding whether pension increases should be paid in overseas countries and successive governments have taken the view that it would be unfair to impose an additional burden on contributors and taxpayers in the UK to fund increased pensions for those who have chosen to live abroad. The Government concurs with that position. Ultimately, there is a choice for the individual to make where to live, and what the consequences are should that choice be somewhere other than the UK. The rules on uprating the State Pension are clear and well publicised. So the choice to migrate or not remains a choice for the individual. UK State Pensions paid to people living outside the UK also go to people who migrated for economic or other reasons well before they reached pension age.
Department for Work and Pensions

I wonder what reciprocal arrangements exist in the Phillipines. My son lives there and is not aware that he will receive anything from their government

I wonder what reciprocal arrangements exist in the Phillipines. My son lives there and is not aware that he will receive anything from their government

I am probably wrong but I thought it was the other way around. A filipino living in UK gets a pension (and I presume increases) from the government of the Phillipines?

If your son is a UK citizen and has paid his contributions, your son should benefit from a UK pension, provided sufficient contributions have been paid. If he is now living in the Philippines, he should maintain his contributions by paying Class 3 Voluntary Contributions while working overseas as an ordinarily non-resident UK person. If he meets these conditions, he will receive a UK pension (in time) that is fully indexed linked.

If your son is a UK citizen and has paid his contributions, your son should benefit from a UK pension, provided sufficient contributions have been paid. If he is now living in the Philippines, he should maintain his contributions by paying Class 3 Voluntary Contributions while working overseas as an ordinarily non-resident UK person. If he meets these conditions, he will receive a UK pension (in time) that is fully indexed linked.
Indeed, that is correct, but I somehow doubt he has paid more than a handful of contributions having lived in Thailand and Bali for many years before the Philippines.

Currently assisting a Surin widow whose British husband was an Aer lingus pilot. He was based in Dublin. Having made voluntary contributions in the UK, he ended up with full state pensions from both countries!

Indeed, that is correct, but I somehow doubt he has paid more than a handful of contributions having lived in Thailand and Bali for many years before the Philippines.

Currently assisting a Surin widow whose British husband was an Aer lingus pilot. He was based in Dublin. Having made voluntary contributions in the UK, he ended up with full state pensions from both countries!
Aways time to buy extra contributions.

Curious Nick, since there are various domicile and age regulations regarding a Thai spouse receiving any Social Security benefits from the US...

(1) did the British husband have a notarized Will nominating his wife as his sole beneficiary?

(2) at which age for the beneficiary spouse will UK and Irish state pensions pay a monthly stipend to his spouse?

Curious Nick, since there are various domicile and age regulations regarding a Thai spouse receiving any Social Security benefits from the US...

(1) did the British husband have a notarized Will nominating his wife as his sole beneficiary?

(2) at which age for the beneficiary spouse will UK and Irish state pensions pay a monthly stipend to his spouse?
I have a full UK State Pension and my Thai wife of 18 years will receive nothing after my death.

I have a full UK State Pension and my Thai wife of 18 years will receive nothing after my death.

Ditto.

Although with my company pension (now operated by the Pension Protection Fund) she is due to receive a sum of 25% of the pension which I received before my death.

Fortunately, I have a bank account containing in excess of ฿800,000.00 (as required for my yearly extension of stay) which I shall not require after my death.

The rules governing an Irish State pension are very similar to the UK state pension They basically cease upon death of the pensioner. No widows pension! The widow is in line to receive a widows pension from his Irish employer , and after Irish probate, she will receive the funds deposited in his bank accounts

The US Social Security rules are superior to the UK and Ireland. Hopefully for you and others they will remain that way. UK widows used to receive a pension until some 10 years ago and as recently as 5 years ago they received a £2,000 lump sum on the death of their husband and a payment based on NI contributions for one year if aged over 45. Children also received a benefit (around 20,000bt/month max until they finished secondary schooling even when the child was not the deceaseds, but was merely dependent upon the deceased.

Last edited:

@Prakhonchai Nick. Did said deceased not also accumulate an RAF pension, and maybe a Swiss pension too (either State and/or employment for the latter) if he is who I'm thinking of.

Back