Update Passbook Problems

In the early 2000s when I was working for a living, I had payments coming in from Malaysia, Australia, China, Singapore, Philippines and Indonesia. I ensured that these were not credited to my working account but to a separate account in a different bank. Don't give them more information than they ask for.

Last edited:
In my experience (which covers a period of numerous Immigration policy changes and/or changes in the whims of the Officer in charge), if one is utilising the money in the bank method of verifying one's financial situation, then a copy of the previous year's bank passbook pages (or more) plus the original book (in case it's requested) and a letter from the bank to verify that the balance in the passbook (total amount) is exactly the same (and at the same date - now required to be the date of application) is sufficient.

I shall need to confirm this following my successful (hopefully) application for a further one year stay next Tuesday.

Which is exactly what I do. But @Bandersnatch's image appears to be showing a static account. I don't see the need to use two accounts when one will suffice.

If I didn't keep a separate account for my visa money I would be forked now. I like the 2 account system as it is easy to keep visa money separate and "air-gapped” for security. It also has a higher interest rate. 5 minutes once a month in Robinson is no effort. I think trying to keep my SCB passbook updated will be impossible, so I won't even try.

If I didn't keep a separate account for my visa money I would be forked now. I like the 2 account system as it is easy to keep visa money separate and "air-gapped” for security. It also has a higher interest rate. 5 minutes once a month in Robinson is no effort. I think trying to keep my SCB passbook updated will be impossible, so I won't even try.

I am not sure why you think you would be forked. Many people run their 800k through one account.

The bank letter, and updated passbook, is all that should be required.

If an IO was particularly interested in your spending pattern you could get bank statements.

If I didn't keep a separate account for my visa money I would be forked now. I like the 2 account system as it is easy to keep visa money separate and secure. 5 minutes once a month in Robinson is no effort. I think trying to keep my SCB passbook updated will be impossible, so I won't even try.

The answer then is, in my opinion, to use two accounts. At one stage I had two accounts (both in Kasikorn) and used both of these for my extension application. It was difficult at first because the bank couldn't (or were reluctant to) update both passbooks on the same date (there was no transaction that day for the deposit account). Eventually they gave me a signed declaration for the balance of the deposit account which placated the Immigration Officer. That was some years ago and since then I've transferred sufficient monies from other accounts to satisfy Immigration's requirements with just my current "working" account.

If an IO was particularly interested in your spending pattern you could get bank statements.

I can imagine that the only reason they would be interested in your spending pattern is to determine from where your "cost of living" money originates, e.g. are you working for it? Obviously if you are retired, that would be a no-no and if you are working before retirement, then you need a work permit. That was the reason why I kept my job payments in a separate bank from the bank with my "working" account(s).

I don't know the interest rates being offered by SCB but they shouldn't be much different from those offered by Kasikorn. Kasikorn are currently offering 0.25% p.a. on a savings account (my "working" account) and 0.40% p.a. on a fixed deposit account. If I had shed loads of money I suppose the difference could be worth considering but as I haven't, the difference is bugger all.

You can see the interests rates next to each deposit in my pink book. The money has to stay untouched for 12 months to get any interest on each deposit. My 800,000 is paying 0.925% the rate dropped to 0.6% and now 0.5% on more recent deposits.

You can see the interests rates next to each deposit in my pink book. The money has to stay untouched for 12 months to get any interest on each deposit. My 800,000 is paying 0.925% the rate dropped to 0.6% and now 0.5% on more recent deposits.

Is that SCB?

0.5% is not really much different to 0.4%.

What is the interest on SCB's savings account?

At the start of last year I was getting 1.35% with Kasikorn but that soon came to an end.

I remember the days of 12%!

But the mortgage rate was horrendous!

I would be interested to see a copy of that signature section of the online statement; nothing like that on my Kasikorn and BKB statements - nor on my UK bank statements.

To repeat, from what I recall reading, I am pretty certain that....'it is written' (on the Thai Immigration Bureau instructions) that internet bank statements are not permitted.

Make the most of it is Surin Immigration do not follow this requirement.
No signature on the online statement. I was referring to the statement obtained from the bank.

No signature on the online statement. I was referring to the statement obtained from the bank.

Now I understand. Yes, it is a 'stamped' signature, the bank don't physically hand sign each page...the effect is the same though. I vaguely recall that they might initial each page...not sure about that - anyway, that is what Buriram Immigration needs to see for the monthly income method.

I have today printed out copies of the pages of my current "working account" passbook which covers the period of 07:01:16 to 25:12:20. When I visit the bank the bank on Tuesday morning to obtain my "confirmation of funds" letter I shall first withdraw a few grand and then ask the bank teller to update my passbook and provide me with a copy of the last page which should reflect precisely the amount given in the letter.

I've been doing this for the past 15 or so years at least (except I used to do it the day before I applied for my extension) so I'm hoping that there will be no problems this year.

Not having to contend with statements, passbooks and the like for immigration, I am nevertheless intrigued to know who the mystery bank with the pink book is. Is the name disclosure covered by the official secrets act, or would it be an internet crime to name them?

My wife and daughters have one of their many savings accounts at that bank. You can buy government bonds that are entered into a monthly draw, much like the lottery, and get the chance for relatively big wins. However, the odd couple of hundred baht once or twice a year is more likely. :)

My wife and daughters have one of their many savings accounts at that bank. You can buy government bonds that are entered into a monthly draw, much like the lottery, and get the chance for relatively big wins. However, the odd couple of hundred baht once or twice a year is more likely. :)
And like the UK premium bonds (maximum holding £50,000) you never lose your capital

Back