UPDATE

Buriram has really moved up in the past 20 years. Used to be Surin's little sister. Then a very powerful politician (Newin) took the reigns and seriously improved the city. One thing was the new airport back then. Used to be Surin airport was available and part of the circle of air travel in the area. Then the military claimed they needed it for the war with Cambodia at that time (Khao Phra Vihan border). Closed it down to public use. Then this influential politician with lots of pull (he did have the military's ear as well) got the new airport he wanted. After that they built the racetrack. The city has grown in leaps and bounds while Surin's bigshots did nothing much really to improve Surin. They seem to think the Surin Elephant Festival is all they need to promote tourism to the area. They haven't fought to get the airport here reopened to public use, no real tourism industry has been promoted, of which there are many things in the area that could be done to do so. About all I have seen is they like to tear up roads endlessly and keep replacing the sewer and water drains with larger ones every couple of years, and there's a large turtle building promoting OTOP products. They did fence in the reservoir and exercise park, why I don't know. They, the pols here, do not seem to have much pull with the Bangkok pols and military. Buriram has taken over the area and flourished. JMHO
Oh yes , Surin City elders. In 25 whole years here is my list of what has been done. Completion of the ring road. Drainage of Surin city streets. New provincial government offices. Now I am stumped. There must be something more surely.
Here is my wish. I mean for goodness sake. Highway 226 is 4 lane all the way between Korat and Ubon. EXCEPT 12 km between Surin and Sikhoraphum.
This is most likely federal but local province could do something about it. It is the bane of every driver that lives East of Surin. on 226.

Oh yes , Surin City elders. In 25 whole years here is my list of what has been done. Completion of the ring road. Drainage of Surin city streets. New provincial government offices. Now I am stumped. There must be something more surely.
Here is my wish. I mean for goodness sake. Highway 226 is 4 lane all the way between Korat and Ubon. EXCEPT 12 km between Surin and Sikhoraphum.
This is most likely federal but local province could do something about it. It is the bane of every driver that lives East of Surin. on 226.
Agree. I keep away from it on my motorbike if there are alternatives.

Back