UV bug attraction light?

Stargazer

Surin Legend
My wife is lobbying me to put in a UV bug attraction light under the dock on our 900,000 liter lake stocked with orange and silver tilapia, and some koi. She thinks they will be attracted, fall in the water and give food for the fish. I'm not sure this is correct on two counts: will many fall in, and whether our vegetarian tilapia and koi will eat them anyway. Does anyone have experience with this? She also has anchored a couple of bails of rice straw in the lake to rot. The tilapia do seem to eat the straw once it decomposes. She also says that the fish eat the various lotus/lilypad flower plants we have growing around the edges. Also any suggestions about what is good to get established in such a pond as food, without planting an invasive that will try to cover the pond?

My wife has in the last 2/3 weeks established a large lake and is slowly adding fish. Like your wife she has anchored 2 straw bails which she assures me the fish will eat. I will see what she knows about bugs. In the meantime a snake has been observed happily swimming around and also no doubt eating the small fish. Expecting it to bring friends anytime soon. Must measure the lake and establish its capacity. Took about 2 weeks to fill from a solar pump.

I have just established that our fish are not vegetarians. They happily ate bits of meat given to them yesterday. My wife agrees with your wife that many bugs will indeed fall in to the water, and be eaten by the fish. Go for it!

I have just established that our fish are not vegetarians. They happily ate bits of meat given to them yesterday. My wife agrees with your wife that many bugs will indeed fall in to the water, and be eaten by the fish. Go for it!
I know @Rice has a large pond behind his house in Sikhor that is well stocked with all manner of fish.

We have a half acer pond that's 30 feet deep. My father in law is in charge of this. He has about 6 large UV bug lights. Yes he has tilapia. He also puts bales of straw in it. BTW his fish come from the Surin Fishery. He also has cat fish and snakes.

If you suffer from suspended clay in your pond and want it clearer, add calcium sulphate in 20 kg bags via a water slurry mix. You can use lime too but watch your ph levels. Calcium sulphate is Gypsum plaster like for walls....I put 150kgs in our pond with no harm to the fish at all...and its cheap

If you have algae , EM effective microorganisms balls are a good, slow release cure they also clean the water and make it more healthy.....10b a ball on Lazada

Last edited:
If you suffer from suspended clay in your pond and want it clearer, add calcium sulphate in 20 kg bags via a water slurry mix. You can use lime too but watch your ph levels. Calcium sulphate is Gypsum plaster like for walls....I put 150kgs in our pond with no harm to the fish at all...and its cheap

If you have algae , EM effective microorganisms balls are a good, slow release cure they also clean the water and make it more healthy.....10b a ball on Lazada

Which form of gypsum do you use (ultrafine, granular, pulverized, or pelletized?

Regular plasterer's gypsum (calcium sulfate) will clear many muddy ponds by settling out the clay particles. Treatment is inexpensive and easy. Gypsum keeps muddy water clear for a year or longer. It is useless to use gypsum if heavy rain will wash it out of the pond.

My wife is lobbying me to put in a UV bug attraction light under the dock on our 900,000 liter lake stocked with orange and silver tilapia, and some koi. She thinks they will be attracted, fall in the water and give food for the fish. I'm not sure this is correct on two counts: will many fall in, and whether our vegetarian tilapia and koi will eat them anyway. Does anyone have experience with this? She also has anchored a couple of bails of rice straw in the lake to rot. The tilapia do seem to eat the straw once it decomposes. She also says that the fish eat the various lotus/lilypad flower plants we have growing around the edges. Also any suggestions about what is good to get established in such a pond as food, without planting an invasive that will try to cover the pond?

Listen to your wife. What could possibly go wrong... (particularly when you are stateside) ? :)

(Anyhow you already made a pre-nuptial. ;-)

Listen to your wife. What could possibly go wrong... (particularly when you are stateside) ? :)

(Anyhow you already made a pre-nuptial. ;-)
Google says koi are omnivores, so will eat insects, but tilapia are vegetarians. My prenup is silent about bugs.

G
Regular plasterer's gypsum (calcium sulfate) will clear many muddy ponds by settling out the clay particles. Treatment is inexpensive and easy. Gypsum keeps muddy water clear for a year or longer. It is useless to use gypsum if heavy rain will wash it out of the pond.
gotlost, what suppliers carry this? Thai Wadsadu? I have one other issue: the link says your water cannot be very hard in order for gypsum to work ok. They don't say why. Our water here south of Surin is pretty hard. Last question: how do you distribute it to get even mixing?

G

gotlost, what suppliers carry this? Thai Wadsadu? I have one other issue: the link says your water cannot be very hard in order for gypsum to work ok. They don't say why. Our water here south of Surin is pretty hard. Last question: how do you distribute it to get even mixing?
My wife bought hers in Prasat.

Ok Mel, test your water for all sorts , 16 - 1 water test kits are easy got on lazada, or take a sample of your pond water into the Government Water Authority and have it tested if you are worried . Elephant roundabout in Surin, find on google.

In PRASAT Ideal home have in stock Siam Gypsum 20kg bags, its got an elephant on a white bag with blue stripes on it, i recall around 260b a bag....its in powder form. You can spread it evenly over your pond if you have a raft or boat, or do what i did , i sucked pond water into a large plastic drum from the pond then added the bags one by one mixed it up then pumped it back into the pond as a slurry. Just take slowly as it can thicken up if you mix to much at once......If your water is really hard you can use lime, just watch your ph levels

Ok Mel, test your water for all sorts , 16 - 1 water test kits are easy got on lazada, or take a sample of your pond water into the Government Water Authority and have it tested if you are worried . Elephant roundabout in Surin, find on google.

In PRASAT Ideal home have in stock Siam Gypsum 20kg bags, its got an elephant on a white bag with blue stripes on it, i recall around 260b a bag....its in powder form. You can spread it evenly over your pond if you have a raft or boat, or do what i did , i sucked pond water into a large plastic drum from the pond then added the bags one by one mixed it up then pumped it back into the pond as a slurry. Just take slowly as it can thicken up if you mix to much at once......If your water is really hard you can use lime, just watch your ph levels
Sorry 25kg bags..

Back