Warning

I do not know where the card was used.
I am guessing the UK because the Thai baht individual debits example 5,280.74 baht are close to 100GBP.
Nick could of course be correct and they originated in Bali but as Rice has stated several times these frauds are international.

Strangely most of the debits were for 52xx.xx baht which suggested to me they were withdrawals of 100 GBP.
I have never used this card in the UK so it is an international fraud.

Who said it was used in the UK. It was clearly used OUTSIDE of Thailand, as the odd amounts would suggest.

Correct, Nick. I misread Colin's OP.
So again, maybe his card info definitely was lifted in Bali...or anywhere for that matter where he utilized it without having to provide PIN info (same as Credit card).

I still can't fathom how the perp got Colin's PIN to make withdrawals from an ATM regardless of where ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct, Nick. I misread Colin's OP.
So again, maybe his card info definitely was lifted in Bali...or anywhere for that matter where he utilized it without having to provide PIN info (same as Credit card).

I still can't fathom how the perp got Colin's PIN to make withdrawals from an ATM regardless of where ?

The details are cloned on to another card.

I bank with Bangkok Bank and have the normal savings account registered for internet banking which comes with a debit card which I use regularly.
We have been up to see friends in Khon Kaen and I last used my card there to withdraw cash from a blue bank ATM (Krungsi?) on Monday 3rd August.
I logged in to pay a bill from the account this morning to find my account had been emptied of 70,000 baht in 15 small transactions over the days of 4th and 5th August. The withdrawals were for cash and had the code for international ATM withdrawals.
Strangely most of the debits were for 52xx.xx baht which suggested to me they were withdrawals of 100 GBP.
I have never used this card in the UK so it is an international fraud.
Now the fun part has begun, I have this afternoon obtained the required police report, Bangkok Bank call centre say they will need a minimum (note minimum) of 60 days to investigate.
I am a careful bank user and always check my balance looks correct when I use an ATM but these thieves emptied my account between uses.
So guys be even more careful as the bank told me it is becoming increasing common in Chon Buri, Chiang Mai and other tourist places and I guess it could reach Surin in the near future - assuming my problem arose in Khon Kaen and not a few days earlier in Surin.

Sorry to hear this, Colin. Hope it all gets sorted quickly and you get your money back.

Mike

This was concluded this morning.
Thank you Bangkok Bank my fears about a refund were unfounded.
They told me this morning they think my card was cloned in Bali and used in China.

Pleased to hear it Colin. Times change, 6 years ago they had CCTV of a thai taking money out of my BKK account and I got no refund. Hence, never banked with them since

Back