Why is Khao Yai so popular?

Stargazer

Surin Legend
An in-laws boyfriend is considering buying her a house in Khao Yai for around 24 million baht. 4 million deposit before construction begins.

Which leads me to two thoughts. I don’t think it’s wise to pre-pay for some thing that has not been built, particularly in Thailand. The second is why the devil people are willing to pay prices like that just in order to have a relatively fancy house in Khao Yai. What’s the attraction?IMG_0115.jpeg

An in-laws boyfriend is considering buying her a house in Khao Yai for around 24 million baht. 4 million deposit before construction begins.
Which leads me to two thoughts.View attachment 68153

I have two thoughts as well...the first is who is buying - a wealthy Thai or a Farang boyfriend ?

Second, "considering buying" means nada. Doing is a whole other enchilada.

Last edited:
Having been and stayed there a couple of times, my thoughts are as follows:-

KY is a fairytale land that is near to BKK so people who have never experienced anything Non-Thai can visit and pretend (read-take photos of) to visit tacky theme hotels/malls that are supposed to have the atmosphere of a Mediterranean/Carribean/English/ ++++ place, built by people who have absolutely no idea what the original locations are like. I couldn't wait to get out of the false place.

Having been and stayed there a couple of times, my thoughts are as follows:-

KY is a fairytale land that is near to BKK so people who have never experienced anything Non-Thai can visit and pretend (read-take photos of) to visit tacky theme hotels/malls that are supposed to have the atmosphere of a Mediterranean/Carribean/English/ ++++ place, built by people who have absolutely no idea what the original locations are like. I couldn't wait to get out of the false place.

This is Thailand.

Khao Yai was 'designed' for Thais - not you, or I.

I actually quite like it (when there are not too many Thais around ie NOT weekends).

This is Thailand.

I actually quite like it (when there are not too many Thais around ie NOT weekends).
I stayed in The Royal Kensington Garden Resort. It was nothing like Kensington!!!!
But the breakfast was good!

I have two thoughts as well...the first is who is buying - a wealthy Thai or a Farang boyfriend ?

Second, "considering buying" means nada. Doing is a whole other enchilada.
Farang (American) fianceé. He can easily afford it. However, I still think it’s not such a good idea, as they live in Honolulu, which is pretty nice. Why have a big second home to take care of?

This is Thailand.

My wife says it is pretty, green and not so hot, a lot like rural Washington State where we spend April-October. The architecture does seem to be faux-European, maybe a bit pretentious and out of place in Thailand. But some Thai seem to prefer living in Germany :tonguewink: Not that I’d name names. I guess we’ll have to visit and see for ourselves. I studied for 9 months in Europe while in university, and do like the real thing, but just to visit sometimes.

On our rural Washington State (USA) farm. Simple but nice, like my sweet Isaan wife
IMG_0315.jpeg

Last edited:
Farang (American) fianceé. He can easily afford it. However, I still think it’s not such a good idea, as they live in Honolulu, which is pretty nice. Why have a big second home to take care of?

If "he can easily afford" US$1 million then why not.
Even if it is simply to give as a gift (of 'face') for her Thai family.

If he is requiring to launder monies then it's an excellent choice. (I'd personally choose closer to the ocean to moor my 72' cruiser. :cool: )

Possibly he is simply tired of life relaxing on the Parker Ranch. :p lol

Anyhow he'll have a nice place to stay whenever he visits (even if just between epidemics).

If "he can easily afford" US$1 million then why not.
Even if it is simply to give as a gift (of 'face') for her Thai family.

If he is requiring to launder monies then it's an excellent choice. (I'd personally choose closer to the ocean to moor my 72' cruiser. :cool: )

Possibly he is simply tired of life relaxing on the Parker Ranch. :p lol

Anyhow he'll have a nice place to stay whenever he visits (even if just between epidemics).
He’s a really nice guy, semi-retired dentist who does the dental equivalent of Doctors Without Borders, going to the third world to give free dental care to poor kids. They live in Honolulu, a long way from Parker Ranch on the Big Island (where I lived for 10 years after retirement till my wife died). Still, I think he should save that money (actually a bit less than $700,000 USD at current exchange rates)

Before he helped her
IMG_7217.jpeg

After. Gave her a life where she can smile
IMG_7218.jpeg

Met with a widow just yesterday. Her late husband paid 100,000THB upfront for a condo in Bang Sarey offplan. Then for reasons that are not known, he coughed up the full 6 million THB, before any construction commenced.

You guessed it. The developer went bust (or disappeared - or both) before any work started, and the money has been lost! Now a lawyer who is trying to "help" (himself most likely) is demanding 100,000THB upfront plus 5% of any money obtained!!!!!!!!!

Back