Wise - UK to Thailand Money Transfers (formerly Transferwise)

Where do get the impression that the UK let's any twat in ?

I would suggest UK immigration rules for Thais are a lot tougher than Thai regulations for Brits.

I didn't specify "Thais". But now you mention it, yes. The Thai immigration requirements for Brits are apparently less stringent than the British immigration requirements for Thais. So maybe we should count our blessings?

Colin has no problems obtaining a visa for America.
Today America is extremely vigilant on visas.

(Unfortunately going to San Francisco in particular with a good looking fellow like Wood had bells ringing on the Thai-end of his initial screening. For all the wrong reasons I can understand why.
Possibly when Thailand allows gays to marry it might just assist in moving things along. Possibly.)

There has to be some form of regulation to ensure that a foreigner living in the country has sufficient funds to survive without being in anyway financially reliant on the government of said country. The majority of countries have such regulations (except UK who appears to let any twat in). How the Thai authorities reached the conclusion that Bht 65,000/month or Bht 800,000/p.a. is sufficient I have no idea but would suggest that it's an average to encompass village residents in Isaan and high flyers in Bangkok (probably biased toward the latter). They are not picking on @nomad97.

I manage reasonably well on around Bht 40,000/month but I don't pay rent nor do I have any loan repayments. I remember an Australian on this forum stating that he spent over Bht 120,000/month in Thailand so I can see where the problem is for the authorities.

I'm not saying the funds are an issue but proving where they came from can be a major issue, not to mention headache.

I'm not saying the funds are an issue but proving where they came from can be a major issue, not to mention headache.

I believe that it has something to do with work permits and retirees not permitted to work. It's not a matter of proving where they came from it's a matter of proving that they came from outside Thailand.

Colin has no problems obtaining a visa for America.
Today America is extremely vigilant on visas.

(Unfortunately going to San Francisco in particular with a good looking fellow like Wood had bells ringing on the Thai-end of his initial screening. For all the wrong reasons I can understand why.
Possibly when Thailand allows gays to marry it might just assist in moving things along. Possibly.)

Coffee, the thing that pissed me off was that they didn't give him the opportunity to prove he would return to Thailand, they just rejected his application out of hand even though the online form showed he was in a UK Civil Partnership, I was travelling with him and would pay his costs, he had had UK and Schengen Visas and we would be staying with my daughter and had a return ticket after 16 days.
I have never had a visa for Wood rejected before and thought I knew what to do - but apparently not.
It should have helped that I am not a US citizen giving us less reason to stay in The States.
I suspect his occupation as a farmer was the problem, but that's what you get for being truthful.

Coffee, the thing that pissed me off was that they didn't give him the opportunity to prove he would return to Thailand, they just rejected his application out of hand even though the online form showed he was in a UK Civil Partnership, I was travelling with him and would pay his costs, he had had UK and Schengen Visas and we would be staying with my daughter and had a return ticket after 16 days.
I have never had a visa for Wood rejected before and thought I knew what to do - but apparently not.
It should have helped that I am not a US citizen giving us less reason to stay in The States.
I suspect his occupation as a farmer was the problem, but that's what you get for being truthful.
As for occupation, try kennel owner and professional dog trainer next time around. :D:D:D

To pay the voluntary self employed NI stamp. to boost my state pension, I said I was a freelance taxi driver in Thailand..no papers. no receipts. They accepted it:rolleyes:

That is amazing they accepted that, as Driver of any sort is a reserved profession in Thailand. What ever :rolleyes:

That is amazing they accepted that, as Driver of any sort is a reserved profession in Thailand. What ever :rolleyes:

I remember when Fred bought a tuk-tuk and wasn't permitted to tax it because he didn't have a work permit. Notwithstanding the fact that he was not intending to use it other than for personal transport.

Do you really think that the UK government, and/or the National Insurance Office have any idea about reserved professions here in Thailand , or anywhere else for that matter?

Just noticed on the Government Website the following:

GOV.UK
The United Kingdom is leaving the European Union on 31 October 2019. Get ready for Brexit

Back