WISE

"That was really fast. From the moment we received your money, it got to your account in 7 seconds."

That was Wise to Kasikorn. Difficult tell tell the time it took from NatWest to Wise but it can't have been longer than 30 seconds.

I like Wise and K-Bank. Bangkok Ba
My result also
I get best results from Wise and K-Bank. XE.com and Bangkok Bank, not good. BB took hidden fee ofc transfer. K-Bank gives me exactly what Wise sends.

Question: my wife’s sister’s boyfriend is buying her a to-be-built Khao Yai fancy Italianate house (Casa Vacanza) for about ฿ 24M, so he needs to move around $600K USD in over the next year to make the progress payments. Wise says transfers are limited to ฿ 2M per transaction. Is that a Thai banking rule for farang? Also, is there a better rate way for such large transfers? He’d feel more comfortable wiring $100,000 USD at a time to her bank, but sometimes the exchange deal that way is not so good.

I get best results from Wise and K-Bank. XE.com and Bangkok Bank, not good. BB took hidden fee ofc transfer. K-Bank gives me exactly what Wise sends.

Question: my wife’s sister’s boyfriend is buying her a to-be-built Khao Yai fancy Italianate house (Casa Vacanza) for about ฿ 24M, so he needs to move around $600K USD in over the next year to make the progress payments. Wise says transfers are limited to ฿ 2M per transaction. Is that a Thai banking rule for farang? Also, is there a better rate way for such large transfers? He’d feel more comfortable wiring $100,000 USD at a time to her bank, but sometimes the exchange deal that way is not so good.
The 2 million baht maximum Wise transfer to Thailand affects everyone, Thais too. And even then only 3 Thai banks are permitted to receive this "large" amount. The others have a smaller maximum.. Cannot help re alternatives

I've noticed that Bangkok Bank charge a "fee for receiving funds from overseas 0.25% of the transfer amount (Baht 200.00 Min. Baht 500.00 Max.)"

In the case of Kasikorn Bank they state the same fee but it appears to be only charged for receiving foreign currency funds not Thai Baht. I have never been charged for depositing Thai Baht into my Kasikorn account from whatever source. I cannot say about Bangkok Bank.

However, it may be worth checking with AtB as he appears to have found a way to transfer foreign currency without charges.

I use WISE to transfer funds from the UK to Thailand several times a month. My Thai account is with Bangkok Bank. I have never been charged by Bangkok Bank for funds deposited in my account. There is no additional fee. The money sent by WISE is exactly the same as the money depoited in my account - no deductions.

P.S. WISE convert my sterling to Thai Baht before sending to Thailand. It is Thai Baht that is deposited in my account.

I use WISE to transfer funds from the UK to Thailand several times a month. My Thai account is with Bangkok Bank. I have never been charged by Bangkok Bank for funds deposited in my account. There is no additional fee. The money sent by WISE is exactly the same as the money depoited in my account - no deductions.

P.S. WISE convert my sterling to Thai Baht before sending to Thailand. It is Thai Baht that is deposited in my account.
I think you will find that Thai banks do not charge for receiving THB wherever it comes from. Wise convert to THB before sending and one knows exactly how much will be deposited. UK banks/building societies (don't know about other countries) invariably send payments in UK£, and when converted to THB on arrival, the banks take a fee........as do some correspondent banks along the way. WISE is best!

Just out of interest @nomad97, why do you not transfer only once per month? I appreciate that the saving is only a few quid but it's better in your pocket than Wise's..
Had Nomad made a single transfer recently, he would likely have received a somewhat lower rate than the recent daily pre Christmas increases.. I believe the "fixed fee" per transfer from Wise is £1.50

I fell foul of the no more than 50,000 Baht transfer limit that was in force until recently. Now that the limit has increased this would no longer be a problem. Another consideration was that we needed funds in Thailand to support the family budget and regular/frequent transfers were necessary. However, I will thank both @Yorky and @Prakhonchai Nick for their suggestions. In recent months our family finances have improved for the better and a monthly transfer would now be very feasible. Thank you.

"That was really fast. From the moment we received your money, it got to your account in 7 seconds."

That was Wise to Kasikorn. Difficult tell tell the time it took from NatWest to Wise but it can't have been longer than 30 seconds.

It is instantaneous - as in the time it takes me to switch from my HSBC screen to my WISE screen the funds are there as I begin to instruct the Baht transfer.

There are no 'hidden fees' everything is published by the Thai banks.

It is instantaneous - as in the time it takes me to switch from my HSBC screen to my WISE screen the funds are there as I begin to instruct the Bant

It is instantaneous - as in the time it takes me to switch from my HSBC screen to my WISE screen the funds are there as I begin to instruct the Bant

Instantaneous twice, eh?

Very good.

Although the difference between 60 seconds and instantaneous in this process doesn't give me grave concerns.

[Edit: I'm currently trying to ascertain why my PPF pension for September 2023 was paid on 5th October 2023]

Last edited:
I would guesstimate that 90% of the transfers from WISE to Bangkok Bank are completed almost instantaneously. Every now and then there is a delay and WISE advise accordingly.

I would guesstimate that 90% of the transfers from WISE to Bangkok Bank are completed almost instantaneously. Every now and then there is a delay and WISE advise accordingly.
That wasn't my experience when I used to transfer to Bkk Bank. usually arrived at 2pm if sent in the morning. Since changed to Kasikorn, and unless large amounts, then instantaneous,.

That wasn't my experience when I used to transfer to Bkk Bank. usually arrived at 2pm if sent in the morning. Since changed to Kasikorn, and unless large amounts, then instantaneous,.
Not quite as instantaneous as the UK bank to WISE. :)

As I was told by a representative of Barnett Waddingham (a leading independent UK professional services consultancy) - "the money takes a week to reach you because you live so far away".

There are no 'hidden fees' everything is published by the Thai banks.
Published where? I'd like to educate myself so I can help my rich but naive (compared with me :p) perhaps soon to-be brother-in-law.

I'm getting a bit cynical about the 'rule of law' in Thailand. We narrowly escaped having our vehicles hauled off to Cambodia sans titles, which seem unimportant. I could tell you more, but then I'd have to kill you, and then myself. I'm going to have to move to the 'need to know' principle.

I'm back, by the way. I had trouble getting the forum to reset my password after it inexplicably quit letting me log on: then, it would say it was sending me a password reset email, but it would never arrive. Now that I'm 'home' with my fast 3BB connection, the reset request/email worked. In the meantime, I tried setting up a new account under the rubric 'Stargazer' for better anonymity , but that is still pending 'approval by 'administrator'. That should confuse them good. It's pretty rainy here near Surin City, and the monsoon rains have wreaked havoc with the roads, so it's pothole dodging time on most roads, with lots of water flooding half of a lane in places.

Back