Yellow book problem!

Merlin

You chose a custom title
A Dutch friend now lives in Surin permanently, and wanted a Yellow Book. He had earlier been told to go to the Surin City Hall with his passport and visa, his wife, her blue book and so on.

They told him there that he needed to go to Ubon for some kind of "a stamp" at the building that provides passports.

They both went there on Monday, but were told that he needed to go to Bangkok, to the Dutch Embassy, to obtain "proof" that he lives here. He was also told that he needs the Embassy to prove that he receives his Dutch pension here.

He's now trying t o make an appointment to go to the Embassy next week.

What is all this about?

I have a yellow book issued several years ago in Surin. No Embassy involved, proof of residency, proof of income or anything like that. The Dutchman was told that "things have changed" and was sent on his way.

Has anyone else applied for a yellow book recently, and if so, what was the process please?

A Dutch friend now lives in Surin permanently, and wanted a Yellow Book. He had earlier been told to go to the Surin City Hall with his passport and visa, his wife, her blue book and so on.

They told him there that he needed to go to Ubon for some kind of "a stamp" at the building that provides passports.

They both went there on Monday, but were told that he needed to go to Bangkok, to the Dutch Embassy, to obtain "proof" that he lives here. He was also told that he needs the Embassy to prove that he receives his Dutch pension here.

What is all this about?

I have a yellow book issued several years ago in Surin. No Embassy involved, proof of residency, proof of income or anything like that. The Dutchman was told that "things have changed" and was sent on his way.

Has anyone else applied for a yellow book recently, and if so, what was the process please?
When we moved into our new house 12+ months ago , I was issued a yellow book without any of this beurocratic b/s.

What is all this about?

Oh! Dear!
I have been in this very spot. It appears Muang Surin has now adopted the same procedures as Sikhoraphum. He will most likely also be asked for Mother and Fathers birth certificates authentication through embassy and letter of life history and relationship with his wife. There is no way I can get copies of my parents birth certificates and or statutory declarations made at your embassy. I have no idea what is needed at Ubon at all. What could it be?

LOOK! I gave up this pursuit a long time ago. A YTB and a pink card that comes with it is utterly useless! After much research and I do mean years of it I have found only one use for YTB.
When you renew your drivers license every 10 years! You can use YTB instead of a trip too SI to get a free of charge registered home address certificate.
And that is all. Have I missed something in my research, please tell me and put me straight. During the pandemic NOBODY asked me for a YTB and to this date nobody ever has.
So WHY does anybody need one????????????

No need to question his reason for wanting one - his prerogative.

As for others' reasons, I asked ChatGPT 3.5 - even though it is at least 2.5 years out of date on most topics. It (or rather who or whatever does the research) said this:

"Having a yellow house book" in Thailand refers to having a Tabien Baan, which is a household registration document. This document is issued by the local government and is used to officially register one's residence in Thailand.
For expatriates living in Thailand, having a yellow house book can be beneficial in several ways:
  1. Legal Residence: It serves as proof of legal residence in Thailand. This is important for expatriates who may need to demonstrate their residency status for various purposes such as visa applications, work permits, and dealing with government agencies.
  2. Access to Services: Some government services and benefits may require proof of residency. Having a yellow house book can facilitate access to such services, including healthcare, education, and social welfare programs.
  3. Property Ownership: If an expatriate owns property in Thailand, having a yellow house book can help in registering the property and establishing legal ownership.
  4. Banking and Financial Transactions: Banks and financial institutions in Thailand may require proof of address for opening accounts or conducting financial transactions. A yellow house book can be used as proof of address for such purposes.
  5. Integration and Community: Being officially registered in a local community can help expatriates integrate into the local community and build relationships with neighbors and authorities.
Overall, having a yellow house book provides expatriates with a sense of security and legitimacy in their residency in Thailand, along with facilitating various administrative and legal processes."

I have a yellow book and a pink card, and have found them moderately useful - where and when they have been accepted. Those who believe all researchers are unlikely to question the findings. The rest of us may remain sceptical.

Overall, having a yellow house book provides expatriates with a sense of security and legitimacy in their residency in Thailand,
This is the only thing it does. And that is actually nothing. As to those other points. They are just not true.
I have done all those things on that list and never been asked ever for YTB.
As I said during the pandemic it was not asked for.If it was going to be asked for ever it would of been then. I am well and truly a part of my village all without a YTB.
Not arguing just stating a fact. I know exactly how to obtain mine and it is just not worth doing.

Go ahead jump through the hoops for an imaginary reward. A sense of security. I truly believe that is why people want it. Glad you mentioned that part.

As for others' reasons, I asked ChatGPT 3.5 - even though it is at least 2.5 years out of date on most topics. It (or rather who or whatever does the research) said this:

"Having a yellow house book" in Thailand refers to having a Tabien Baan, which is a household registration document. This document is issued by the local government and is used to officially register one's residence in Thailand.
For expatriates living in Thailand, having a yellow house book can be beneficial in several ways:
  1. Legal Residence: It serves as proof of legal residence in Thailand. This is important for expatriates who may need to demonstrate their residency status for various purposes such as visa applications, work permits, and dealing with government agencies.
  2. Access to Services: Some government services and benefits may require proof of residency. Having a yellow house book can facilitate access to such services, including healthcare, education, and social welfare programs.
  3. Property Ownership: If an expatriate owns property in Thailand, having a yellow house book can help in registering the property and establishing legal ownership.
  4. Banking and Financial Transactions: Banks and financial institutions in Thailand may require proof of address for opening accounts or conducting financial transactions. A yellow house book can be used as proof of address for such purposes.
  5. Integration and Community: Being officially registered in a local community can help expatriates integrate into the local community and build relationships with neighbors and authorities.
Overall, having a yellow house book provides expatriates with a sense of security and legitimacy in their residency in Thailand, along with facilitating various administrative and legal processes."

I have a yellow book and a pink card, and have found them moderately useful - where and when they have been accepted. Those who believe all researchers are unlikely to question the findings. The rest of us may remain sceptical.

@Merlin - do you really believe what you wrote/cut and pasted. ;)

I have absolutely no issue with anyone who wants a YTB, I share the views of @Rice (although not quite as strongly).

I have survived/prospered in Thailand for 19 years without the need for one. I don't feel any less 'secure' than anyone who has a YTB.

@Merlin - do you really believe what you wrote/cut and pasted. ;)

I have absolutely no issue with anyone who wants a YTB, I share the views of @Rice (although not quite as strongly).

I have survived/prospered in Thailand for 19 years without the need for one. I don't feel any less 'secure' than anyone who has a YTB.
I agree with you and @Rice however, I have seen enough sh*t and corruption to adhere to the oldest managment
acronim---C.Y.A, cover your ass. Only the opinion of a newbie. My pink card and YTB dont give me goosebumps however,
if the fertiliser hits the fan--body armour works---sometimes.

Number 1, Wife's blue book works very well.

Number 2, I've never had issues seeing a doctor or going to hospital.

Number 3 is certainly incorrect.

Number 4, never had a problem. It also creates a catch 22 situation. I was told I needed a long term permission to stay to get a yellow book. Can't get that without money in the bank. Can't get a bank account without...........I think we know where this is going.

Number 5, I've found politeness and respect for others works perfectly well.

Was told early on in the Covid pandemic I needed the yellow book to get the vaccines, as well as the Pink ID. Wife, sis and daughter figured it out and I got the yellow book. Used that to get the Pink ID. No problems from what I could see. Just had to fill out paperwork and show blue book, passport and visa, (can't really remember what else I supplied for paperwork) and minimal baht. Dr. Daughter brought me to each of my vaccinations at whatever place was giving them, got her jabs as well each time. Had to show both the yellow book and the Pink ID each time and sign some papers. Haven't needed to use either one since.

To answer the original question: last year I went to my embassy for a piece of paper (certifying my name in Thai and the name and address of my wife), as instructed by my Amphoe. Paid for that, went across the road to an official translation service and they sent the translation back to me per EMS a day or two later. Took all my stuff back to the Amphoe and got the yellow book + pink ID card. Paid for that.
Immigration isn't really interested in your Tabien Ban but it does serve as proof of address, which they are supposed to check up on. The bank will accept it when you want to open a bank account, the driving licence centre accepts it as proof of address (no more trips to immigration, pay ฿500.-), and you can lease or buy a car instead of using your wife's name.
I agree that I was living here for 10 years before doing this but I have noticed that officials seem quite relieved when I show them the Tabien Ban + pink ID. It's still the law that you have to carry your passport at all times, but I imagine that the police would accept the pink ID even though it doesn't have a visa stamp.

I
To answer the original question: last year I went to my embassy for a piece of paper (certifying my name in Thai and the name and address of my wife), as instructed by my Amphoe. Paid for that, went across the road to an official translation service and they sent the translation back to me per EMS a day or two later. Took all my stuff back to the Amphoe and got the yellow book + pink ID card. Paid for that.
Immigration isn't really interested in your Tabien Ban but it does serve as proof of address, which they are supposed to check up on. The bank will accept it when you want to open a bank account, the driving licence centre accepts it as proof of address (no more trips to immigration, pay ฿500.-), and you can lease or buy a car instead of using your wife's name.
I agree that I was living here for 10 years before doing this but I have noticed that officials seem quite relieved when I show them the Tabien Ban + pink ID. It's still the law that you have to carry your passport at all times, but I imagine that the police would accept the pink ID even though it doesn't have a visa stamp. I never carry my passport. Neither have I ever been asked to show it.
I never carry my passport. It's an important document and a ba$#@rd to replace. I've never been asked to show it other than at immigration.

Police are not interested in your visa status. I doubt they'd even know what to look for.

Driving licences need renewing upto every 6 years, depending on your renewal date in comparison to your birthday. Hardly a big issue going to immigration for a certificate of residence. We are there once can year, some even 90 days anyway.

2 motorbikes and 2 pick-ups in wife's name. No problems. Easier to buy and sell that way.

the driving licence centre accepts it as proof of address (no more trips to immigration, pay ฿500.-
If you paid 500 Baht you have been duped. They are FREE!
But you are right on the proof of address part.

You say you need a YTB to buy a car in your own name. Interesting. Can anyone else back this up? I can make it #2 it can be used for.
I am suspicious that a drivers license or Immigration service registered address document will not suffice.

If you paid 500 Baht you have been duped. They are FREE!
But you are right on the proof of address part.

You say you need a YTB to buy a car in your own name. Interesting. Can anyone else back this up? I can make it #2 it can be used for.
I am suspicious that a drivers license or Immigration service registered address document will not suffice.

I have bought 4 cars and 3 motocys in my name.

I have never had a YTB.

It's still the law that you have to carry your passport at all times -

Maybe, but if & when stopped, I present the police with a photocopy of my passport, which I keep in the car.

I believe this is acceptable as the law was 'relaxed' some time ago.

I have never had any problems, so long as they can enter my details into their computer.

Oftentimes, I just get waved on or asked for a contribution ;-)

I am going to plead brain freeze. Until this thread came up I didn't readily recall having a Yellow Book since I have never used it for any purpose anywhere at anytime.
17097992962961146422595.jpg

Then I remember my darling taking me with my passport to the Surin ampur office a few years ago and receiving the Yellow Book by utilizing her house book.
I recd the Yellow along with my pink ID card at the same time.

I do recall that I could have used the pink card to get the CCP Sinovac inoculation but I really wanted to await the availability for the Pfizer mRNA vaccine.
For that - no yellow book, no pink card - just show us your passport please. Two times.

It's still the law that you have to carry your passport at all times -

Maybe, but if & when stopped, I present the police with a photocopy of my passport, which I keep in the car.

I believe this is acceptable as the law was 'relaxed' some time ago.

I have never had any problems, so long as they can enter my details into their computer.

Oftentimes, I just get waved on or asked for a contribution ;-)
I'm confused.

I've been led to believe the police and immigration systems don't share information.

At what point were you stopped by police and why did they want to see your passport?

I've been stopped by traffic police a couple of times. As soon as I show my driving licence I get moved on. No need for police computers.

I've been stopped by traffic police a couple of times. As soon as I show my driving licence I get moved on. No need for police computers.

Obviously you weren't radared at 130 in the 90 zone on Hwy 24. :)

I didn't have my license but showed my insurance coverage. They smiled, "500 bhat please"; wrote the receipt and I was on my way. :)

~ Quite possibly lost in translation if Howard isn't Thai-fluent and the PO wasn't conversant in English. ~
Unless one doesn't have a driving licence, there is no reason to produce a passport to police.

Back