UK Pensions

Do you really think checking for benefit irregularities, read Fraud, is persecution or victimisation?

Most, if not all, British expats are tax payers. I'm sure most, if not all, would not want their tax being spent on benefits to those who shouldn't be receiving them.
Much truth in what you say, but delving into expats bank accounts should come long after stopping our tax money being spent on benefits for refugees, immigrants and the dinghy people.

Much truth in what you say, but delving into expats bank accounts should come long after stopping our tax money being spent on benefits for refugees, immigrants and the dinghy people.
Unfortunately that's out of government hands.

As has been shown by the Rwanda plan, UK government are bound by international laws.

Unfortunately that's out of government hands.

As has been shown by the Rwanda plan, UK government are bound by international laws.
I doubt International law insists the dinghy people need to be given 3 and 4 star hotel accommodation! A tent and sleeping bag is surely sufficient, and probably as good as they were used to back home!
:rage:

I doubt International law insists the dinghy people need to be given 3 and 4 star hotel accommodation! A tent and sleeping bag is surely sufficient, and probably as good as they were used to back home!
:rage:
The stars mean nothing. The UK government take over the hotel. Its nothing more than a building. The accommodation and food is very basic.

Pull the other one!!!!!!!!!!!
If you believe any different, fine.

You obviously haven't read the numerous articles of hotel staff losing their jobs when the hotels are taken over as asylum hotels. They are not dinghy people. Only asylum seekers are accommodated in hotels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wherever they stay they cost the country and tax payer a huge amount of money!

Wherever they stay they cost the country and tax payer a huge amount of money!

I agree. The costs are high.

One could blame the government for the level of costs. They are very slow at looking at asylum claims with many dating back to 2022.

What's the answer?

International law says UK must allow them to stay until their claims are heard.

Once asylum has been granted employment is possible. If it was down to me, I would make working part of the condition at point of application. Once one applies for asylum, off to work one goes. Plenty of jobs they could do.

If asylum is granted, continue working. Make that a condition. If asylum claim is rejected, send them back to where they came from.

Do you really think checking for benefit irregularities, read Fraud, is persecution or victimisation?

Most, if not all, British expats are tax payers. I'm sure most, if not all, would not want their tax being spent on benefits to those who shouldn't be receiving them.

There would be less likelihood of benefit irregularities being committed if British Expats here received the UK state pension increases which they would entitled to in the USA or the Philippines as just two examples. Unfairly (even within UK rules) singling out retirees here in Thailand is tantamount to victimization, and feels like persecution, while fraud was your choice of description, not mine.

It is not the UK Government's place to make ANY expats deprived of their pensions feel that they need to make false claims, and if - by doing so - any UK taxpayers here or there would deny us the right to that which would be our legal right in the other countries. I was talking to a UK pensions company only last Friday where the quite senior officer was completely unaware that expats in Thailand do not receive the annual increases provided elsewhere.

Is it much wonder that other UK residents are unaware of the prejudicial treatment of expats here?

Last edited:
There would be less likelihood of benefit irregularities being committed if British Expats here received the UK state pension increases which they would entitled to in the USA or the Philippines as just two examples. Unfairly (even within UK rules) singling out retirees here in Thailand is tantamount to victimization, and feels like persecution, while fraud was your choice of description, not mine
Hardly "singling out Thailand"

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240227_132642_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240227_132642_Chrome.jpg
    1,009.3 KB · Views: 4
Forgive me for not adding "in comparison with some other countries" to my "singling out" comment - because I didn't feel it was necessary to expand on it given that we all know the situation, or assume that is the case.

Why does it feel that some on here are batting for continued inequality?

Forgive me for not adding "in comparison with some other countries" to my "singling out" comment - because I didn't feel it was necessary to expand on it given that we all know the situation, or assume that is the case.

You could ask the Thai government to sign a social security agreement with UK.

There would be less likelihood of benefit irregularities being committed if British Expats here received the UK state pension increases which they would entitled to in the USA or the Philippines as just two examples. Unfairly (even within UK rules) singling out retirees here in Thailand is tantamount to victimization, and feels like persecution, while fraud was your choice of description, not mine.

It is not the UK Government's place to make ANY expats deprived of their pensions feel that they need to make false claims, and if - by doing so - any UK taxpayers here or there would deny us the right to that which would be our legal right in the other countries. I was talking to a UK pensions company only last Friday where the quite senior officer was completely unaware that expats in Thailand do not receive the annual increases provided elsewhere.

Is it much wonder that other UK residents are unaware of the prejudicial treatment of expats here?
Many UK residents are aware.

There was an article on BBC website not so long ago. There was a comments section too. The comments were not in expats' favour.

I certainly wouldn't bat for continued inequality, but I do get bored with continually pissing into the wind.

Of course it is not fair but, yes, we were all aware of frozen pensions when we chose to live here.

IMO (and my predictions have not always hit the bullseye - but at least I am prepared to make them!) UK state pension will not be unfrozen in the lifetime of any member on this forum.

There is no motivation from government (forget the right to vote changes) and as @Charles Little pointed out, there is no sympathy for expats from the UK public.

There is no motivation from government (forget the right to vote changes) and as @Charles Little pointed out, there is no sympathy for expats from the UK public.
While that is true - -or appears to be so judging by the lack of will shown by most of them to sign the petitions or be more proactive, I'd hazard a guess that most expats here have families and friends in the UK and elsewhere who do care for our well-being. . It may be true that many UK residents are aware of the inequality, but I firmly believe that the numbers are still very low, and that there is little discussion among them about the matter.

Expats really do need to talk to their UK families and friends and to persuade them to join in the campaign to raise awareness which includes using their votes in petitions and elections, as well as insisting that their MPs and Assembly members support them in supporting us./

Football is a popular sport in the UK, but clubs would not progress without the support of their fans, and standing silently on the touchline does nothing to help. Are we saying that our families and friends in the UK think more of their footballing prima-donnas than they do about their own flesh and blood here? A touch of "Oh bugger dad as he's out of the way in Thailand?" ( I accept that some family members and former friends may bear a grudge against men who came to Thailand for a better or different life than their wives (ex or otherwise) back home provided!)

Has everyone eligible on here to do so signed at least one petition? Has anyone lobbied their MP yet? Does anyone intend asking their next parliamentary candidates to support your claim in exchange for your vote in the next election(s)?

It isn't too late, but do it quickly.

Come on!!! Rally the troops, no more "pissing in the wind!" please!!

While that is true - -or appears to be so judging by the lack of will shown by most of them to sign the petitions or be more proactive, I'd hazard a guess that most expats here have families and friends in the UK and elsewhere who do care for our well-being. . It may be true that many UK residents are aware of the inequality, but I firmly believe that the numbers are still very low, and that there is little discussion among them about the matter.

Expats really do need to talk to their UK families and friends and to persuade them to join in the campaign to raise awareness which includes using their votes in petitions and elections, as well as insisting that their MPs and Assembly members support them in supporting us./

Football is a popular sport in the UK, but clubs would not progress without the support of their fans, and standing silently on the touchline does nothing to help. Are we saying that our families and friends in the UK think more of their footballing prima-donnas than they do about their own flesh and blood here? A touch of "Oh bugger dad as he's out of the way in Thailand?" ( I accept that some family members and former friends may bear a grudge against men who came to Thailand for a better or different life than their wives (ex or otherwise) back home provided!)

Has everyone eligible on here to do so signed at least one petition? Has anyone lobbied their MP yet? Does anyone intend asking their next parliamentary candidates to support your claim in exchange for your vote in the next election(s)?

It isn't too late, but do it quickly.

Come on!!! Rally the troops, no more "pissing in the wind!" please!!
I admire your fighting spirit. However, how many expats living in each of the listed "frozen pension" countries does each MP have in his constituency? Answer is, not enough to make a difference to them.

Of those expats living in a frozen pension country, how many are overly concerned about it? Concerned enough to lobby their MP?

I believe there's not enough support for the cause to make a petition anything other than "pissing in the wind".

Last edited by a moderator:
I've signed many petitions.

As an aside, I got last week my first 'normal' 4 weekly UK full pension payment and after 'fighting' for the last 14 months to increase it to the maximum (frozen) amount, I'm happy to take it!!!

I admire your fighting spirit. However, how many expats living in each of the listed "frozen pension" countries does each MP have in his constituency? Answer is, not enough to make a difference to them.

Of those expats living in a frozen pension country, how many are overly concerned about it? Concerned enough to lobby their MP?

I believe there's not enough support for the cause to make a petition anything other than "pissing in the wind".

Spot on.

I have signed dozens of online petitions - frankly, I don't think I will bother signing any more.

I've signed many petitions.

As an aside, I got last week my first 'normal' 4 weekly UK full pension payment and after 'fighting' for the last 14 months to increase it to the maximum (frozen) amount, I'm happy to take it!!!
Why did you need to fight to get your maximum pension?

Back