UK Pensions

CL- I haven t read your introduction to SF but you seem to be posting many times each day & have probably become the No 1 poster on SF.
However,on the Frzn UK pension issue ,you seem to be on the negative tract.Well that s what it seems to me,.

I've signed many petitions.

As an aside, I got last week my first 'normal' 4 weekly UK full pension payment and after 'fighting' for the last 14 months to increase it to the maximum (frozen) amount, I'm happy to take it!!!
The Thai Govt. is going to take a percentage of our pensions.
So that whittles it down more.

CL- I haven t read your introduction to SF but you seem to be posting many times each day & have probably become the No 1 poster on SF.
However,on the Frzn UK pension issue ,you seem to be on the negative tract.Well that s what it seems to me,.

I think it is a thin dividing line, for some, between negativity and realism.

I said that unfreezing will not happen in our lifetime. Is that negative - or realistic?

For me, it is realistic.

I only post on subjects that interest me. With regards to posting on this thread, I'm being realistic.

I don't expect anything to happen. The UK government have bigger fish to fry.

If something did happen, it would be a nice surprise.

I admire your fighting spirit. However, how many expats living in each of the listed "frozen pension" countries does each MP have in his constituency? Answer is, not enough to make a difference to them.

Of those expats living in a frozen pension country, how many are overly concerned about it? Concerned enough to lobby their MP?

I believe there's not enough support for the cause to make a petition anything other than "pissing in the wind".
If they live in a frozen pension country as I have for 37 years, do they have an MP?

Why did you need to fight to get your maximum pension?
Because all the info provided was geared towards you paying the maximum amount to increase your National Insurance Contributions, but their own info suggested that as I work and live abroad, I am eligible to pay a lesser rate similar to a self-employed person in UK. That info took 14 months to obtain and a further 2 months to actually commence payment.
All history now and sorted out!

As if on cue...

You recently signed the petition “Give 500,000 UK overseas State Pensioners with frozen pensions parity”:

The Government has responded to a public (paper) petition about uprating of state pensions for people living abroad. The petition calls on the Government to engage with the Canadian Government on this issue. The petition was presented to the House of Commons by Martyn Day MP on behalf of residents of the constituency of Linlithgow and East Falkirk.

In response to the petition, the Government has stated that the state pension system is intended to provide support for pensioners who ordinarily reside in the UK. It goes on to say that state pensions are up-rated overseas where there is a legal requirement to do so, such as a reciprocal social security agreement.

The Government's response says that successive Governments have maintained the view that it would be unfair to place additional burdens on UK taxpayers to fund increased pensions for people who decide to live abroad. The Government says that it has no plans to change the current arrangements for payment of the UK state pension overseas.

Read the petition and the Government's full response
What are public (paper) petitions?
A public (paper) petition is a petition to the House of Commons presented by an MP.

Find out more about public (paper) petitions
Get involved in the work of the UK Parliament
You can also sign up to the UK Parliament newsletter for the latest information on how to get involved and make a difference.

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament

"The Government's response says that successive Governments have maintained the view that it would be unfair to place additional burdens on UK taxpayers to fund increased pensions for people who decide to live abroad."

But it is clearly not unfair to place additional burdens on UK taxpayers to fund all the handouts and freebies to all the illegals arriving in the UK on a daily basis plus paying all their legal costs to support their unwarranted claims to asylum.!!!!!

Last edited:
"The Government's response says that successive Governments have maintained the view that it would be unfair to place additional burdens on UK taxpayers to fund increased pensions for people who decide to live abroad."

But it is clearly not unfair to place additional burdens on UK taxpayers to fund all the handouts and freebies to all the illegals arriving in the UK on a daily basis plus paying all their legal costs to support their unwarranted claims to asylum.!!!!!
Quite so, PN!

6-700 MPs' representing the PEOPLE (and not the successive Governments) should support the view that it is unfair to place additional burdens on both past and present taxpayers to fund ALL who have contributed towards the state scheme throughout their working lives, wherever they choose to live after retirement. If any question of affordability enters the equation, let the governments of the countries responsible for those illegals and asylum seekers foot their bill instead of our own aged population who are refused equal benefits from home.

International legal obligations......................

I would be inclined to throw that broken record away..... :)

Here is the thing. You guys actually paid up front for that pension. In Australia besides paying tax (and some never do) people that have lived on the dole their whole lives can then go on to a full government pension at 67. If they choose to then live in Thailand they receive the full benefit with increases.
Do you feel that you have been duped? I guess you do.
PS ever wonder how 95% of aboriginal people are on benefits under what basis. Well they are classified as disabled by the colour of their skin.
Why is that not racism??????

Here is the thing. You guys actually paid up front for that pension. In Australia besides paying tax (and some never do) people that have lived on the dole their whole lives can then go on to a full government pension at 67. If they choose to then live in Thailand they receive the full benefit with increases.
PS ever wonder how 95% of aboriginal people are on benefits under what basis. Well they are classified as disabled by the colour of their skin.
Racism clearly has benefits

Because all the info provided was geared towards you paying the maximum amount to increase your National Insurance Contributions, but their own info suggested that as I work and live abroad, I am eligible to pay a lesser rate similar to a self-employed person in UK. That info took 14 months to obtain and a further 2 months to actually commence payment.
All history now and sorted out!
Do you/Did you not have a Gateway account with Gov.UK?

It's all on there, including a list of years of missed contributions and how much to pay. It goes through where you live and what you do. Class 2 and Class 3.

Actually, that is not how it works.

As far as I am aware the NICs go into a general treasury pot and is not exclusively applied for eg NHS or pensions.

I have heard it said that our contributions paid the pensions of pensioners at that time; our pensions are paid by the current generation of NIC payers.

As far as I am aware the NICs go into a general treasury pot and is not exclusively applied for eg NHS or pensions.

I have heard it said that our contributions paid the pensions of pensioners at that time; our pensions are paid by the current generation of NIC payers.
That I believe is the case.

You have taken my meaning way too esoterically. I am fully aware how government spending and budget allocations are made. 38 years of public service work.
Bottom line is you paid into your pension account.
What you said is explaining as to the like as putting money in the bank and expecting the same bank notes out. That's not what I said.

You have taken my meaning way too esoterically. I am fully aware how government spending and budget allocations are made. 38 years of public service work.
Bottom line is you paid into your pension account.
What you said is explaining as to the like as putting money in the bank and expecting the same bank notes out. That's not what I said.

That is how it came across.

In the UK nobody has a state pension 'account'....as you are aware (having spent 38 years doing public service work) all the money goes into a central fund.

Back