Certificates of Residence, Yellow Book & Driver's license

Bear

Surin Legend
I am going to try to obtain my Cert. of Residence, Driver's License and Yellow Book next week. As this is now February 2012, thought it might be of interest to know the latest requirements at Imm. Korat and Amphur Surin. This could be helpful to many and all in one location on the threads:
1. Certificate of Residence documentation
2. Driver's License
3. Yellow Book

Thanks for any of your kind and helpful advise/input.

Bear - I do not understand - are you talking about Permanent Residence status ?? What exactly do you mean by Certificate of Residence ??

Bear - I do not understand - are you talking about Permanent Residence status ?? What exactly do you mean by Certificate of Residence ??

Certificate of Residence is required of all farangs when obtaining a drivers License, buy or selling a car,truck or motor bike and is requires when applying for a yellow house book. It is obtained from your local immigration office, embassy/ consulate and in some cases your local police department. It is a certified statement that sates your place of residence. If you have a work permit you do not need this. When a Thai transacts business they most show their ID card and house book we must show the certificate of residence and passport. When a farang obtains a yellow house book he does not need any more CR's.

Certificate of Residence is required of all farangs when obtaining a drivers License, buy or selling a car,truck or motor bike and is requires when applying for a yellow house book. It is obtained from your local immigration office, embassy/ consulate and in some cases your local police department. It is a certified statement that sates your place of residence. If you have a work permit you do not need this. When a Thai transacts business they most show their ID card and house book we must show the certificate of residence and passport. When a farang obtains a yellow house book he does not need any more CR's.

Thank you - I guess its something I have never bothered with because I am too old to get a Thai driving license and my wife does al the driving . Also I recently obtained a new UK passport and it shows my home address as here in Thailand so , if necessary , that would be my yellow thabian ban. Whether that is acceptable to the Thai authorities or not , i do not know ( or particularly worry about ) - My son has Permanent Residency and I understand they only issue just over 100 of those each year . But thank you for putting me straight on the CR .

Thank you - I guess its something I have never bothered with because I am too old to get a Thai driving license and my wife does al the driving . Also I recently obtained a new UK passport and it shows my home address as here in Thailand so , if necessary , that would be my yellow thabian ban. Whether that is acceptable to the Thai authorities or not , i do not know ( or particularly worry about ) - My son has Permanent Residency and I understand they only issue just over 100 of those each year . But thank you for putting me straight on the CR .

Glade to of helped. As for your UK Passport showing your address in Thailand it does not relive you of The CR requirement for Thailand.

Thought I would give you a report about the latest requirements for two of the three items I queried about. I just got my Certificate of Residence and Driver's licenses. It was easy.
In Korat Immigration the items needed were:
1. Completed Application Form for Residence Certificate in Thailand
2. Two copies of Passport with Non-Imm visa
3. Two copies of most recent Visa
4. Two copies of your stamped departure card
5. Medical Certificate(returned to you)
6. Two copies of wife's family papers and copies of her ID card (I did it this way, but think you can use documentation from your current residence or utility bills in your name?)
7. Two photos
That is it, unless you are getting more than one residency certificate. For each additional certificate, add another copy of the items listed above. In my case, I was obtaining three CR's so needed four copies of everything.
Took me a total of 28 minutes from start to finish

Driver's licenses
Today I went to Land transport to obtain my initial Thai driver's licenses for automobile and motorcycle. I arrived at about 0750 and was the first one in the office. Luckily, one lady took my papers right away and told me to take a seat. (note: am advised that it is recommended that you go there on either Tues., Weds or Thurs., as they are least crowded.) The documents required were:

1. Two Certificates of Residence
2. Two copies of Passport
3. Two copies of current Visa
4. Two copies of stamped departure card
5. Two copies of your valid (not expired) Foreign Driver's Licence (front and back)

You are then asked to take three tests to determine if you are color blind, your reaction time in stopping for red light and another test to check your depth perception.
Next you are sent to pick up a number and when your number is called, you pay THB 180 for each license, then you go to have your picture taken and about two minutes later, receive your completed Driver's License.

Remember, I said we arrived at 0750; we were finished with Licenses in hand at 0843 and on our merry way home.
Very easy and efficient.

Hope you find this info helpful and will let you know about obtaining my Yellow Book next week.

Last edited:
. Also I recently obtained a new UK passport and it shows my home address as here in Thailand

You would appear to be one in a million -or more - Bill. I was not aware that addresses -anywhere in the world -were incorporated in UK passports. Certainly mine is not shown in my latest passport acquired last December.

Thought I would give you a report about the latest requirements for two of the three items I queried about. I just got my Certificate of Residence and Driver's licenses. It was easy.
6. Two copies of wife's family papers and copies of her ID card (I did it this way, but think you can use documentation from your current residence or utility bills in your name?)
7. Two photos
That is it, unless you are getting more than one residency certificate. For each additional certificate, add another copy of the items listed above. In my case, I was obtaining three CR's so needed four copies of everything.

Driver's licenses
Today I went to Land transport to obtain my initial Thai driver's licenses for automobile and motorcycle. I arrived at about 0750 and was the first one in the office. Luckily, one lady took my papers right away and told me to take a seat. (note: am advised that it is recommended that you go there on either Tues., Weds or Thurs., as they are least crowded.) The documents required were:

5. Two copies of your valid (not expired) Foreign Driver's Licence (front and back)

You are then asked to take three tests to determine if you are color blind, your reaction time in stopping for red light and another test to check your depth perception.
Next you are sent to pick up a number and when your number is called, you pay THB 180 for each license, then you go to have your picture taken and about two minutes later, receive your completed Driver's License.

Remember, I said we arrived at 0750; we were finished with Licenses in hand at 0843 and on our merry way home.
Very easy and efficient.

Hope you find this info helpful and will let you know about obtaining my Yellow Book next week.

Any mention of the old mobile unit for Surin or the reopening of the Kap Choeng Immigration Office.?

Any mention of the old mobile unit for Surin or the reopening of the Kap Choeng Immigration Office.?

Sure was. I asked Khun Dau, directly, if they were going to reinstitute the mobile monthly visits to Buriram and Surin.
She indicated that this was not in the cards.
However, she advised that a complete proposal to return her team, full time, to its old home in Kap Choeng had been submitted. Accordingly it was being processed and funded and should be approved in October for implementation. It was, indeed, very good news.

You would appear to be one in a million -or more - Bill. I was not aware that addresses -anywhere in the world -were incorporated in UK passports. Certainly mine is not shown in my latest passport acquired last December.

Nick - As is usual , you are right - put it down to age - I gave my Klaeng address when I renewed lat May and i show my wife as next of kin showing our address , and in my senile state assumed that it was also shown in the passport somewhere - stupid me . As I said though , I am not unduly worried because I have no intention of driving in Thailand and at my age , it is better that everything is in my wife's name - But thanks for mentioning it and making me take a close look at my passport .

In Buriram you do not need a Certificate of Residence from Immigration to get a Driving Licence. You go to the police station to get it. The service is free.

As far as I know it is possible to renew your licence at any office in the country, I renewed mine last time in Rattanaburi in Surin even though the address was Buriram.

Maybe another option for people in Surin.

Sure was. I asked Khun Dau, directly, if they were going to reinstitute the mobile monthly visits to Buriram and Surin.
She indicated that this was not in the cards.
However, she advised that a complete proposal to return her team, full time, to its old home in Kap Choeng had been submitted. Accordingly it was being processed and funded and should be approved in October for implementation. It was, indeed, very good news.

OUT FCUKING STANDING !!!!Awesome1

7. Two photos

Driver's licenses

Very easy and efficient.

Well, I just picked up my approved Tambien Baan (Yellow Book) from the Amphur in Prasat. This was a fairly lengthy and somewhat arduous process, as had an extremely bureaucratic official to deal with, but got it done. What I needed for this Amphur was:

1. Proof of Residency (must get from Immigration)

2. 2 Copies of your wife's Tambien Baan (family papers/Blue Book)

3. 2 copies of Marriage Certificate

4. 2 copies of your visa

5. 2 copies of your passport identification page (may need to be translated-mine had to be translated)

6. 2 copies of wife's ID

7. 8 photos

8. Your Poo Yai Baan (village chief) must accompany, at some time, and sign some certification papers.

It is a time-consuming process,but think it is worth it.

Have everything I set our to obtain, now and hope the info may prove of some assistance to some of you in the future.

Friends and colleagues of mine have found them to be useful for many activities and requirements in Thailand. As I use the book to do some of these things, that they have advised me about, will let the forum know of the results directly, after I experience the results.

They have to be NEW photo's every year BTW. I got caught out last year by this (amongst other things!ThumbUp6)

Good luck with the 'whip round' mateThumbUp6

Good up-date for anybody wishing to obtain a Yellow House book 10of10Score

I've had my for about 4/5 years now and never used it.I take photocopies of it when I go for my 'permission to stay based on marriage extension' but the Immigration Office would sooner have a hand-draw map and a few photos of me around the house than an Official Thai Document ( that is harder to obtain than an extension to stay stamp in your passport)
The only reason I have mine is because my wife will get a 100 baht of everyone in the Village for when I pop my sock ( about 25k) ,enough for a cheap coffin,a bit a food and a few bulk packs of Fanta :wink:

I had to laugh when the wife informed me of this benefit.//flag

Certificate of Residence is required of all farangs when obtaining a drivers License, ***edited **. It is obtained **Edited** in some cases your local police department.

As I cannot obtain my car & bike licenses until I have my work permit and that is awaiting teachers license and the immagration office for Rio Et is bloody mile away
what are the chances of the local Roi Et BIB giving (selling) me the CoR?
Anybody tried this.
It is just that my Australian licenses will expire soon so I want to get on to this.

Thanks
Bruce

You dont need a work permit mate ,if you go into Surin driving licence place (or wherever )opposite the Army camp (ish) , you need a health check letter from a clinic or hospital ,a letter of residence can get at from Cap-Churn Immigration , and maybe an address(tibian barn) doesn't need to your house just to show where you live ,you might have to sit a small test .
Its no problem mate easy .ThumbUp6

You dont need a work permit mate ,if you go into Surin driving license place (or wherever )opposite the Army camp (ish) , you need a health check letter from a clinic or hospital ,a letter of residence can get at from Cap-Churn Immigration , and maybe an address(tibian barn) doesn't need to your house just to show where you live ,you might have to sit a small test .
Its no problem mate easy .ThumbUp6

As Alan said you do not need a work permit. Go to the Kap Choeng Immigration office an get a Certificate of Residence. You will need some kind of document stating where you live like a copy of your rent agreement and a signed copy of your landlords ID. You also need a medical which you can get for 30 baht at a clinic. You only need a tourist or an O visa.. If you have a western DL you should not have to take any written or driving test,only a color, reflex and depth test and then watch a 1 hour move. You Can do this at the Land Transportation Office (LTD) across from the army base on the 214. BTW. Make sure you tell Immigration that this letter is for BOTH car AND bike or you may have to return and get a second letter. Cost is 500 baht per letter.

Sorry OB just realized your up in Roi-Et . Kap Choeng is NOT your immigration office. I thank its Amnat Charoen. All of the other info is correct. There will be a closer LTD office in Roi-Et.

Last edited:
Back