Chuffin' Banks

Yorky

Fullritis Member
I received a letter from NatWest International today in which they said that they had tried to contact me by email but failed. Their suggestion was to log in and select "My Details" and check that they had my correct email address (my 20 year old email address during which time I've been with the bank). I logged on and there was no "My Details" on the menu. I accessed "contact us" and explained the problem. They could not understand it and asked for my customer number (same number for 25 years) but they couldn't find it. Are you sure that you have "online banking"? No, I have "ibanking". "Ah, well that's the problem; you need "online banking". So why are your office telling me to check my details on "online banking" when they know I don't have it? I don't know, you'll have to register with "online banking". So I tried. I got as far as them sending me an OTP to my handphone number (which they had) and which after 3 attempts I did not receive so they are now sending it by post (by which time it will likely have expired).

I had another rant earlier regarding Kasikorn Bank here in Thailand but that would be unprintable.

I received a letter from NatWest International today in which they said that they had tried to contact me by email but failed. Their suggestion was to log in and select "My Details" and check that they had my correct email address (my 20 year old email address during which time I've been with the bank). I logged on and there was no "My Details" on the menu. I accessed "contact us" and explained the problem. They could not understand it and asked for my customer number (same number for 25 years) but they couldn't find it. Are you sure that you have "online banking"? No, I have "ibanking". "Ah, well that's the problem; you need "online banking". So why are your office telling me to check my details on "online banking" when they know I don't have it? I don't know, you'll have to register with "online banking". So I tried. I got as far as them sending me an OTP to my handphone number (which they had) and which after 3 attempts I did not receive so they are now sending it by post (by which time it will likely have expired).

I had another rant earlier regarding Kasikorn Bank here in Thailand but that would be unprintable.
They have gone downhill since I left! :):sunglasses:

I received a letter from my bank last week, Lloyds, asking me to confirm my resident tax status. In addition to completing a form, a copy of my passport would confirm my identity. However, this would need to be certified as a true copy by one of 4 organisations. The only options were a member of Lloyds Banking, a Lawyer, a Banking Official, or the British Embassy. Of the 4 options, the British Embassy in Bangkok was the most appropriate. I wrote back and told them I did not see why I had to travel to Bangkok, at great expense, for an official from the embassy to certify the copy of my passport. I informed them I had been banking with them for the past 55 years, and as a former officer in her Majesty's Armed Forces, I would hope they would take the word of a Squadron Leader RAF (Retd) that the copy of the passport was indeed me. Should this be unacceptable, I asked them to forward a cheque for £500 to cover the cost of my travel to Bangkok, two nights' stay in a hotel, taxi fares, and ancillary costs, including the £25 fee charge by the consular official. I await their reply!

Last edited by a moderator:
I received a letter from my bank last week, Lloyds, asking me to confirm my resident tax status. In addition to completing a form, a copy of my passport would confirm my identity. However, this would need to be certified as a true copy by one of 4 organisations. The only options were a member of Lloyds Banking, a Lawyer, a Banking Official, or the British Embassy. Of the 4 options, the British Embassy in Bangkok was the most appropriate. I wrote back and told them I did not see why I had to travel to Bangkok, at great expense, for an official from the embassy to certify the copy of my passport. I informed them I had been banking with them for the past 55 years, and as a former officer in her Majesty's Armed Forces, I would hope they would take the word of a Squadron Leader RAF (Retd) that the copy of the passport was indeed me. Should this be unacceptable, I asked them to forward a cheque for £500 to cover the cost of my travel to Bangkok, two nights' stay in a hotel, taxi fares, and ancillary costs, including the £25 fee charge by the consular official. I await their reply!

I was told by NatWest that a "serving" police officer would suffice. I got my daughter to certify the passport copy under her married name. It worked.

Last edited by a moderator:
A young serving police officer needed to certify an alleged former Squadron Leader under suspicion as to who he really is ???
I think I understand that.
"These are the times that try men's souls" - Kingston Trio, M. T. A., 1959 - I remember it well

A young serving police officer needed to certify an alleged former Squadron Leader under suspicion as to who he really is ???
I think I understand that.
"These are the times that try men's souls" - Kingston Trio, M. T. A., 1959 - I remember it well
There is nothing "alleged" about being a former Squadron Leader, and just for the record, I am still a Squadron Leader albeit retired, and will remain so for life! :):):)

P.S. And if anyone needs a countersignature I am happy to do so. My signature has not been rejected yet.

There is nothing "alleged" about being a former Squadron Leader, and just for the record, I am still a Squadron Leader albeit retired, and will remain so for life! :):):)

P.S. And if anyone needs a countersignature I am happy to do so. My signature has not been rejected yet.
Should we change your title here to 'SIR Resident Geek'?????

Far easier to upload a selfie with the passport copy.....as Wise does.

Far easier to upload a selfie with the passport copy.....as Wise does.
I guess there are several ways one could verify that you are who you are. A friend of mine who lives 100 meters down the soi is a retired Squadron Leader too. We often sign each other's Life Certificates without problems. However, the letter that I received made it very clear I only had 4 options to certify my passport. The first option was to walk into any branch of Lloyds bank and ask a staff member to do so. Considering there are no branches of Lloyds Bank in Thailand, that narrowed down the possibilities to only 3.

The fact that the form I was asked to sign was posted to the address in which I live, should have given the requestor some confidence that I was indeed who he thought I was. I strongly resented the fact that I would have to incur a loss of time and expense to get one of only three bodies to confirm my identity. The fourth option would have been a 3 day trip to the embassy in Bangkok. Had they been more flexible in the options available to me, I would have asked my friend and fellow Squadron Leader to sign.

Will they reply? I will wait and see.

I guess there are several ways one could verify that you are who you are. A friend of mine who lives 100 meters down the soi is a retired Squadron Leader too. We often sign each other's Life Certificates without problems. However, the letter that I received made it very clear I only had 4 options to certify my passport. The first option was to walk into any branch of Lloyds bank and ask a staff member to do so. Considering there are no branches of Lloyds Bank in Thailand, that narrowed down the possibilities to only 3.

The fact that the form I was asked to sign was posted to the address in which I live, should have given the requestor some confidence that I was indeed who he thought I was. I strongly resented the fact that I would have to incur a loss of time and expense to get one of only three bodies to confirm my identity. The fourth option would have been a 3 day trip to the embassy in Bangkok. Had they been more flexible in the options available to me, I would have asked my friend and fellow Squadron Leader to sign.

Will they reply? I will wait and see.

That was 6 weeks ago.

Any news?

That was 6 weeks ago.

Any news?
I received an identical letter, with another form to complete, that was dated one month later than the first. The first letter was dated 19th November while the second was dated 20th December. Both letters were enclosed in unfranked airmail envelopes. Clearly, they were not posted through the standard mail system. I replied to the first letter on the 10th December, the same day it was received. It was posted the following day, 11th December, via airmail. I remember the day well, it was a Saturday morning. The Post Office was only open from 09.00 to 12.00 How these idiots/organisations in the UK expect to send and receive a reply from Thailand, using nonstandard airmail systems, in less than a month beats me. Clearly, there was an overlap. I have to date, ignored the second identical letter.
;;exciting;;

I received an identical letter, with another form to complete, that was dated one month later than the first. The first letter was dated 19th November while the second was dated 20th December. Both letters were enclosed in unfranked airmail envelopes. Clearly, they were not posted through the standard mail system. I replied to the first letter on the 10th December, the same day it was received. It was posted the following day, 11th December, via airmail. I remember the day well, it was a Saturday morning. The Post Office was only open from 09.00 to 12.00 How these idiots/organisations in the UK expect to send and receive a reply from Thailand, using nonstandard airmail systems, in less than a month beats me. Clearly, there was an overlap. I have to date, ignored the second identical letter.
;;exciting;;

Was either of their letters dated. Some that I receive are but others are "date as postmark" which, of course, there never is a postmark.

Was either of their letters dated. Some that I receive are but others are "date as postmark" which, of course, there never is a postmark.
Both letters were dated, but both envelopes were not postmarked (not franked).

;;exciting;;

Last time I heard the overseas post was being despatched to the continent for onward transmission.

Back