Developing Surin as the door to South Isan (Channel 7 - Thai).

:rolleyes: Okay...the location makes sense for access to Southern Issan from Cambodia.
Not sure how many Cambodians have discretionary dollars to spend on visiting Thailand...possibly the other way around (and I'm not too sure about that either).

:rolleyes: Okay...the location makes sense for access to Southern Issan from Cambodia.
Not sure how many Cambodians have discretionary dollars to spend on visiting Thailand...possibly the other way around (and I'm not too sure about that either).

@Coffee have you not noticed the Cambodian number plates in Big C and Macro buying up big. Not to mention the private hospital excepting USD hand over fist.
The hotel where I stayed in Siam Reap all the staff said they had been on shopping trips to Surin and welcomed the return trade of people from Surin. I get your point though, poor country and all ,but you have underestimated the amount of people that do have discretionary spending. Mind you this is my own observations, are they wrong? Please set me straight.

At one point Big C had 4 dedicated check-outs for Cambodians. Are they still there? I doubt that it was done for preferential treatment, more likely implemented to stop the Cambodians having their 'lights' punched out in the standard check-outs. Sorry to say, they know nothing about queuing for service. More than once a Cambodian shopper has pushed in front of me to be served. Fortuunately for them, the check-out girl has read them the riot act and sent them to the back of the queue.

At one point Big C had 4 dedicated check-outs for Cambodians. Are they still there? I doubt that it was done for preferential treatment, more likely implemented to stop the Cambodians having their 'lights' punched out in the standard check-outs. Sorry to say, they know nothing about queuing for service. More than once a Cambodian shopper has pushed in front of me to be served. Fortuunately for them, the check-out girl has read them the riot act and sent them to the back of the queue.

Ahhhh, memories of China flood back in.

@Coffee have you not noticed the Cambodian number plates in Big C and Macro buying up big. Not to mention the private hospital excepting USD hand over fist.
The hotel where I stayed in Siam Reap all the staff said they had been on shopping trips to Surin and welcomed the return trade of people from Surin. I get your point though, poor country and all ,but you have underestimated the amount of people that do have discretionary spending. Mind you this is my own observations, are they wrong? Please set me straight.

@Rice :rolleyes: So you really think Thailand would spend THB xxx-Billion on an initial infrastructure outlay for a hundred day shoppers or private hospital patients daily to spend their hard-earned dollars while easing their passage from Kap Cheong to Surin ("The Gateway to Southern Issan") and return home that evening ? (Hmmm.) Okay...

How many lorries filled with commercial goods, livestock, commodities or manufactured goods (or the total value of said goods) does one see traveling through customs on daily basis ?

@Rice :rolleyes: So you really think Thailand would spend THB xxx-Billion on an initial infrastructure outlay for a hundred day shoppers or private hospital patients daily to spend their hard-earned dollars while easing their passage from Kap Cheong to Surin ("The Gateway to Southern Issan") and return home that evening ? (Hmmm.) Okay...

How many lorries filled with commercial goods, livestock, commodities or manufactured goods (or the total value of said goods) does one see traveling through customs on daily basis ?

Over 50 buttercup and thats each way. The 214 dual lane highway is knocking at the door for being completed all the way from Bueng Kan Thailand where a new bridge is under construction across the Mekong into Lao down to the Chong Chom Crossing. So suck it up.:p

@gotlost
So now you're talking the feasability of highway infrastructure of 500 km from the north of Isaan to the south of Isaan to facilitate the movement of exactly what...importing Chinese manufactured goods...and possibly exporting agricultural products ?
(Lord knows Communist Lao has fook all except for good bíer to LOS and possibly iron ore for shipment to China.)

Don't get me wrong...it's probably a pipe dream project that'll make some folks rich while possibly employing thousands of labourers in North, Central and Southern Isaan...(possibly for votes whenever an election actually takes place).
Of course pipe dreams never pay for themselves...
someone always gets holding the bag. (Recall Thailand 1997.)

GL, I'm curious as to exactly where you pulled your 100 lorries daily.

Well Jaysus, if we take that figure than the good old Customs House Cheong Chom is processing 4 lorries an hour.
When I was at the Customs House in November 2017 for almost two hours they processed two transports in their yard of which one was empty.

Anyhow 50 lorries pushing rice daily out of Thailand into Cambodia and 50 lorries daily into Thailand from Cambodia carrying exactly what , GL ?

I remember mushroom season is in the fall. Wha'chu drinking ? :cool:

There are so many "foreigners" using the Surin hospitals that the prices charged to them (including us) are double the bed rate for Thais. The same goes for meds too. My wife asked why the private room rates were so much higher when I was an in-patient there compared with Korat, and the explanation given was to restrict (by cost) the numbers crossing the border for treatment.

There are "preferred" check-outs for Cambodians at Surin's Makro too - at least two of them.

There are so many "foreigners" using the Surin hospitals that the prices charged to them (including us) are double the bed rate for Thais. The same goes for meds too. My wife asked why the private room rates were so much higher when I was an in-patient there compared with Korat, and the explanation given was to restrict (by cost) the numbers crossing the border for treatment.

Another great reason for living in Cambodia - inexpensive medicine and professionally staffed facilities for foreigners.
That would be due to all those Cambodians coming to Thailand for healthcare, heh. ;)

Curious @Merlin , what was your private room cost in Surin nightly and at which hospital ?
What was the cost nightly and at which hospital in Korat ?

@gotlost
So now you're talking the feasability of highway infrastructure of 500 km from the north of Isaan to the south of Isaan to facilitate the movement of exactly what...importing Chinese manufactured goods...and possibly exporting agricultural products ?
(Lord knows Communist Lao has fook all except for good bíer to LOS and possibly iron ore for shipment to China.)

Don't get me wrong...it's probably a pipe dream project that'll make some folks rich while possibly employing thousands of labourers in North, Central and Southern Isaan...(possibly for votes whenever an election actually takes place).

Well Jaysus, if we take that figure than the good old Customs House Cheong Chom is processing 4 lorries an hour.
When I was at the Customs House in November 2017 for almost two hours they processed two transports in their yard of which one was empty.

Anyhow 50 lorries pushing rice daily out of Thailand into Cambodia and 50 lorries daily into Thailand from Cambodia carrying exactly what , GL ?

A fair amount of the lorries have Lao and Vietnam plates. CC is the ONLY full service crossing from southern Issan into Cambodia. The commercial lorries use CC because the next crossing would be Poipet another 300 km further

Maybe we should ask why in God's name is so much Foster's lager sold in the UK when there's already an abundance of more "local" names available (and yes, I know that Foster's is brewed in Britain too and therefore doesn't pass through Isan on its way from Ozz to Blighty, just as the San Miguel sold here no longer has any connection with the Philippines.)

I'm pretty sure that there are far more Khmer consumers crossing to Isan to buy than vice-versa. Their laden Lexuses are to be seen all over Surin. IF (BIG if) the Thai Government is actually serious now about opening up Isan to other ASEAN consumers, the ridiculously high land costs increases here 5/6 years ago and the investment in building apparently vacant shop houses since then had some economic purpose. Or maybe not.

Conjecture @gotlost as I rarely see those plates on the highway.
Possibly they're moving one-way empty. o_O

Wouldn't the tractor's steering wheel be on the left side as well ?

Another great reason for living in Cambodia - inexpensive medicine and professionally staffed facilities for foreigners.
That would be due to all those Cambodians coming to Thailand for healthcare, heh. ;)

Curious @Merlin , what was your private room cost in Surin nightly and at which hospital ?
What was the cost nightly and at which hospital in Korat ?

It's now 3 1/2 years since I spent almost 3 months in Surin and Korat hospitals and rates will most probably have changed. I was charged 8,000 THB per night at Korat's Bangkok Hospital ICU which included all equipment costs, then 2,600 per night at the Maharat Hospital, and the same at Surin General until "a contact" reduced the latter to around 2,000 per night. The Maharat private room was vastly better than the Surin room.

My wife goes to Ruampaet Hospital in Surin about every 60 days for meds that the government hospital do not have. She has been going there for 6 years and it is an all day wait because of all the Khmer that are using this hospital. They come across in the hundreds every single day.

I was just down and up the 214 Hwy from Prasat to Kap Choeng and back the other day, and I can definitely say that traffic is considerably heavier now...lots of truck as well...and the road improvements they have done will certainly help.

I also think that tractor steering wheels are in the center, not left or right side.

mario299

Laos and Vietnam drive on the correct side the right hand side therefore the steering wheel is on the left. Reason you don't see them is they come in on the 24 from Ubon and cut off on the 2328 at what I called Whore House City, aka truth stop, this is just west of Sangkha on the 24.

@gotlost

Remember the khmer have no money. BULL SHIT.

In addition, the company expects to open a Big C hypermarket in Poipet and have 10 Big C stores in Cambodia over the next five years. It wants to open one Big C in Laos.

Please credit and share this article with others using this link:https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/news/1459777/bjc-allots-b10bn-for-big-c#cxrecs_s. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. © Post Publishing PCL. All rights reserved.

Back