Driving Licenses

Your one year license needs to expire before you can get/go for your five year license. Apply the day after your license has expired. I don't know why the hell they do this, but it is so. To get the 5 year your 1 year needs to have expired.

Mike

Same thing when you renew a five year licencesThink1..

Thanks Cent and Mario for such speedy replies. That's one less thing to worry about then!!
JohnB

Good morning John B. I just went, successfully, for my 5 year license renewal one day after my old one year expired.
It was very simple. I just brought the application and the requested documentation.
No foreign license needed for the change to 5 year license, as is with your initial one year license.
Just gave them my old Thai license, paid the fee, took the photo and had my automobile and motorcycle licenses in about 30 minutes total.
I was lucky and did not have to watch the movie.
Also, in Surin, if you have a Yellow Book, you do not need a Certificate of Residence. The License Bureau staff explained that to my wife and I.

Last edited:
Pm Alan the Builder cos he owns a 6 wheeler as part of the ever increasing AtB fleet! 555

I don't drive my six wheeler / I think a Farang can drive a mini bus but big trucks not sure , and maybe a work permit would be needed to drive industrial trucks and machines

I don't drive my six wheeler / I think a Farang can drive a mini bus but big trucks not sure , and maybe a work permit would be needed to drive industrial trucks and machines

You can always get one of these fitted alan , if you don't want to pay tea money.:rolleyes:

punch-ani.gif

Resurrecting this thread as the date when I have to get my 5 year licenses for bike and car is fast approaching. The 1 year Thai licenses expire on the 24th December.

Can anyone provide a complete list of the documents I will need to present at the Licensing office? Many thanks in advance.

Last time i renewed for my 5 year license (it sometimes varies from office to office) i had to present copies of:

Passport and visa.
yellow book. (If you haven't got this I'm assuming you will need to get a cert of residence from immigration.)
Old license.
Passport photos. 4??

Always a pretty painless affair. It will probably be a lot busier in Surin though.
To be sure, i would take copies of absolutely everything you can think of, including the wife's I.D. And your marriage cert.

Last time i renewed for my 5 year license (it sometimes varies from office to office) i had to present copies of:

Passport and visa.
yellow book. (If you haven't got this I'm assuming you will need to get a cert of residence from immigration.)
Old license.
Passport photos. 4??

Always a pretty painless affair. It will probably be a lot busier in Surin though.
To be sure, i would take copies of absolutely everything you can think of, including the wife's I.D. And your marriage cert.

Renewed my 5 year DL last year in Surin. Have a yellow HB but they would not accept it. Took a certificate of residence (they do accept it) the old 5 year DL ( you can go early) AND do not forget the medical certificate, this can be had for 30 baht. Passport is needed to show visa status. and NO photos needed as this is a smart card and they take your photo. Had to take the eye test and set threw a safety film with English sub titles. Laughed my arse off.

Last edited:
You are correct. Sorry. PP with copie of long stay visa or extention to stay for 5 year dl.

You are correct. Sorry. PP with copie of long stay visa or extention to stay for 5 year dl.

Do they accept a valid work permit as evidence in the same way as a yellow book as this has your address in it?
My two D/L's are also due for renewal this month.

Do they accept a valid work permit as evidence in the same way as a yellow book as this has your address in it?
My two D/L's are also due for renewal this month.

They do not accept the yellow book and they are suppose to accept your wp.
Surin and Prasat ltd can be bad at times. It depends on the office you go to.

Last edited:

You need a higher level license to drive a truck or a bus. Five vehicle silhouettes (rather than 3) then appear on the reverse side of your card and the license is valid for 3 years. The Gorgeous Lek holds this type of license by clerical error, having never yet driven either a bus or a truck. So, if you need another truck driver . . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Not correct ,you can apply for your 5 year renewal before your current one has expired,I understand up to 8 weeks before

When that was posted you could not now you can. Read post 47. But this being Thailand it all depends on the A-Hole you deal with at the moment.

Last edited:
See my post #20
As GL is saying that now they won't accept a yellow book confusion reigns (as usual with Government Offices).
I will have to get my first 5 year licence in February so I will be interested to see further posts on this subject.

See my post #20
As GL is saying that now they won't accept a yellow book confusion reigns (as usual with Government Offices).
I will have to get my first 5 year licence in February so I will be interested to see further posts on this subject.

As previously in such administrative matters, Colin, I am a few weeks ahead of you. I will let you know how it all goes for me, hopefully in time for you to make any necessary adjustments.

When that was posted you could not now you can. Read post 47. But this being Thailand it all depends on the A-Hole you deal with at the moment.
Sorry GL ,You are still incorrect...........I'm just coming to the end of my 3rd 5 year licence...The 'can apply early' has always been in force during that period.Likewise with taxing M/c's & PICK-UPS/CARS,When it is up to 3 months early.

You can renew your DL anywhere you wish.

Buriram office and Nang Rong office both accept a letter from the local Police as proof of address.

Why not get it done there?

See my post #20
DO NOT go BEFORE your 1 year has expired otherwise you will only be issued with another 1 year!

Back