Extension of Stay based upon Retirement.

Yorky

Fullritis Member
I've always wondered about this.

In order to obtain an extension of stay based upon retirement in Thailand, you are required to have reached the age of 50. Now, as we all know, the Thais consider that they are 1 year old at birth. So, as a Farang, are we able to extend our stay based on retirement if our age is 49 or above (in our world)?

In order to obtain an extension of stay based upon retirement in Thailand, you are required to have reached the age of 50. Now, as we all know, the Thais consider that they are 1 year old at birth. So, as a Farang, are we able to extend our stay based on retirement if our age is 49 or above (in our world)?

I wouldn't think so, I would say that the date of birth on your passport, Identification, etc would be the determining date, and I believe this is also true for the Thais. They may consider themselves aged at birth, but the birthdate on their i.d. Card is what they have to go by, at least this was the case for my daughter's drivers license...she had to be 18 by the date on her Thai i.d. to apply for her license.

Mario299

Wonder no more Yorky. We farangs are not 1 year old until 365/366 days after being born. .

It is the date shown on our birth certificates/passports that counts.

Even for many Thai widows we have helped, it is the age determined from their birth certificates and official documents that provides any age related benefits they receive, not how old they think they are.

It so happens that Dow (the well respected and knowledgeable Immigration Officer with a large chest) had a habit of changing the age that I had entered on my retirement extension application by adding a year to the number I had entered. I found it odd that you had to stipulate your date of birth AND your age. Not that I give a shit any more, of course.

Before she left Dan Kwian, Dow spent well over 2 hours with me (in the office that was) dealing with a re-entry. (permit!) We got on fine together, and she learnt the process of endorsing a PR book, something she had not come across previously I was mesmerised!:)

Strangely, however, half way through our session, the kwitiou vendor arrived, and she broke away to go and buy some KWY TIOU. Her pronunciation which she assured me was correct. Never heard it pronounced that way before or since.

She is sadly missed.

I remember when she was doing the bi-monthly, Surin Buriram, she had given a German guy her camera to get pictures of how busy the Buriram "office" was. Away he went snapping all over the shop, however, the flash was set on red-eye reduction and he didn't realise. Each time the first flash went off he went off to compose another shot without noticing that the main flash was going off whilst the camera was pointing at the floor/ceiling. I didn't say anything.

Many years ago Dow arranged to conduct weekly 90 day check-ins at The Green Garden restaurant in Huai Senang for a small tip (Bht 100 I think). However, that greedy bitch Dtim was not content that the arrangement gave her extra customers, she wanted 50% of the tip in addition. Needless to say, the arrangement didn't last long.

Had a very pleasant experience this morning. Went to Chonburi Immigration to obtain my one year extension for my O-Retirement visa. Arrived there at 0830 and there were about 100 people already there to accomplish their individual requirements.
My number was called at 0845 and I provided the paperwork, consisting basically of the application, signed copies of all the pages in my passport, notarized letter of income from the American Embassy, lease agreement from my landlord, photo. I was finished at 0855, given a number and told to come at 1400 tomorrow to pick up my Passport with the updated visa good till next year.
Extremely efficiently run operation and sure got my day off to a really good start. Nice thing, also, is that Immigration is only 5 to 10 minutes from my home; so very easy.

So all one has to do now is either move to Chonburi (along with many other IMM offices) or depart LOS for months at a time...if we no longer want to deal with KCI.

Sadly in retrospect some have decided to 'invest' their 'retirement' under KCI IMM jurisdiction's current "onerous" requirements.

Then again from the sound of some posts, extension based on retirement might be better than extension based on marriage as many married folk are filing in that direction.

So all one has to do now is either move to Chonburi (along with many other IMM offices) or depart LOS for months at a time...if we no longer want to deal with KCI.

Sadly in retrospect some have decided to 'invest' their 'retirement' under KCI IMM jurisdiction's current "onerous" requirements.

Then again from the sound of some posts, extension based on retirement might be better than extension based on marriage as many married folk are filing in that direction.

I see quite a few dropping the retirement and going with the marriage as it is the same requirements and ONLY half the money requirements. The problem for some is you have to be legal married and buddha does not count.

^^^ maybe that is why KCI is getting more rigorous on those filing extension based on marriage.

^^^ maybe that is why KCI is getting more rigorous on those filing extension based on marriage.

Gee Im on marriage extension and have not seen an increase in KCI's scrutiny of an extension for marriage. The requirements are the same now as they were 4 years back.

^^^ because you have NOT converted from Retirement to Marriage , have you ?

You're in KCI's face due to your abode and relationships. Almost everyone who has been at KCI knows your face. Very different from most of the expats that don't reside in KC....IMHO.

^^^ because you have NOT converted from Retirement to Marriage , have you ?

You're in KCI's face due to your abode and relationships. Almost everyone who has been at KCI knows your face. Very different from most of the expats that don't reside in KC....IMHO.

I do not see them any more than all others so your incorrect on that statement my dear boy. :p:D

O-tay...but you haven't switched from applying from retirement to marriage in the last four years, have you ? :p

O-tay...but you haven't switched from applying from retirement to marriage in the last four years, have you ? :p[/QUOTE

No but the requirement are the same NOW as they were 4 years back for a marriage and NOTHING has changed for a extension of marriage.

Back