Extension of Visa Based on Retirement

Coffee

You chose a custom title
Be forewarned - Surin Imm now [possibly] enforcing 'Attachment to the Order of Immigration Bureau no. 242/2566 dated September 27, 2023'.

In particular be very clear maintaining your total funds above minimum requirements in a Thai bank account throughout the entire year relating to Criteria 4.
16994173417681796538228.jpg

Apparently if you're receiving a pension Criteria 5 may alleviate some pain.
Your mileage may vary.

Now I'm beginning to understand why some folks get married in LOS. :p

Be forewarned - Surin Imm now [possibly] enforcing 'Attachment to the Order of Immigration Bureau no. 242/2566 dated September 27, 2023'.

In particular be very clear maintaining your total funds above minimum requirements in a Thai bank account throughout the entire year relating to Criteria 4.
View attachment 70456

Your mileage may vary.

800K in a Thai bank, unusable for living expenses for 5 months. You can use 400K after 3 months, but then have to have 400K added 2 months before going for your next retirement visa (extension). Must make the Thai banks happy to have all that tied up cash in their banks to do with as they please. Times that with the thousands doing so each year. In the computer age and year of 2023 when you can show the same income from anywhere on earth to prove your income and finances available to live off during your stay. Millions (billions) of baht languishing in their banks getting crap for interest. Such a deal. For them.

Yet only 400K if you are married with a family. Weird TIT thinking. LOL

View attachment 70456

Your mileage may vary.

I'm still not convinced that it's worth it, but who knows, there may be one day another Mrs. Ivor (3rd)

Earlier this year instead of forwarding an approximate equivalent of THB 1,400,000 into my Thai bank account (paying crapolla interest) I placed my US funds into various term CDs paying 5.15- 5.3%.
(You can do the math on the return for 3, 6 months and longer.)

Even if I am denied an extension it would be a no sweat financial decision to exit Thailand on a holiday and re-enter to begin the process of making a new visa once I transfer the proper amount of funds within Thailand (still paying crapolla interest).

The bigger decision is whether to go with a visa based on marriage with THB 400,000 for five months and a minimum THB 200,000 float for seven months...or back into a visa based on retirement.
(The THOUGHT of 'marriage' simply has me gun-shy as I did that once in the USA.)

What are the knowledgeable members thoughts as to which visa to apply for with the pros and cons for each. (??)

(I understand if a spouse predeceases then one is back to making an extension based on retirement.)

Sounds like you need Dear Deidre rather than visa advice! :) :)

First thing you need to decide is whether you want to get married. That decision will double (or half) your choices.

You know what the options are and you can do the math.

Nobody on this forum can help you with the marriage decision....

Good luck.

Earlier this year instead of forwarding an approximate equivalent of THB 1,400,000 into my Thai bank account (paying crapolla interest) I placed my US funds into various term CDs paying 5.15- 5.3%.
(You can do the math on the return for 3, 6 months and longer.)

Even if I am denied an extension it would be a no sweat financial decision to exit Thailand on a holiday and re-enter to begin the process of making a new visa once I transfer the proper amount of funds within Thailand (still paying crapolla interest).

The bigger decision is whether to go with a visa based on marriage with THB 400,000 for five months and a minimum THB 200,000 float for seven months...or back into a visa based on retirement.
(The THOUGHT of 'marriage' simply has me gun-shy as I did that once in the USA.)

What are the knowledgeable members thoughts as to which visa to apply for with the pros and cons for each. (??)

(I understand if a spouse predeceases then one is back to making an extension based on retirement.)
If you are legally married to a Thai why would you go with the retirement visa at twice the money? Makes no financial sense to me to tie up that extra 400K for the retirement visa. IMHO

If you are legally married to a Thai why would you go with the retirement visa at twice the money? Makes no financial sense to me to tie up that extra 400K for the retirement visa. IMHO
A gik here and a gik there. Why be bothered getting married again after 2 times already? It's Thailand. You can find sex and companionship on a temp basis everywhere. :)

Last edited:
Sounds like you need Dear Deidre rather than visa advice! :) :)

First thing you need to decide is whether you want to get married. That decision will double (or half) your choices.

You know what the options are and you can do the math.

Nobody on this forum can help you with the marriage decision....

Good luck.

The only real drawbacks that I see with a visa based on marriage is (1) one becomes legally married; and (2) if you piss your wife off she can tell Immigration that you're no longer married and then you're back for the applying of Visa based on Retirement financial requirements. LOL

Unfortunaty there is not a visa based on being a Grandpa.

My darling wants to officially marry after all these years. That really has me concerned. :p

The only real drawbacks that I see with a visa based on marriage is (1) one becomes legally married; and (2) if you piss your wife off she can tell Immigration that you're no longer married and then you're back for the applying of Visa based on Retirement financial requirements. LOL

My darling wants to officially marry after all these years. That really has me concerned. :p
In the states you would be considered in a common-law marriage and legally liable. Once bitten twice shy 'ey? :)

Maybe thinking about a share of you pension when Coffee goes of the boil! 555

Maybe thinking about a share of you pension when Coffee goes of the boil! 555

My self-employed pension and savings will be [hopefully] distributed in accordance with my legal will when I pop.

The Social Security Administration stateside has tough requirements on eligibility for foreign spouses.

Cent could provide further detail if he wishes.

My self-employed pension and savings will be [hopefully] distributed in accordance with my legal will when I pop.

The Social Security Administration stateside has tough requirements on eligibility for foreign spouses.

Cent could provide further detail if he wishes.
5 years living in the states is needed, with some time away using what is called a 'parole'. Legal alien married to an American living in the US for the five years married. From what I have read the wife can even do it over 10 years, six months at a time, using a 10 year tourist visa. I have a buddy in the states that works teaching legal immigrants how to become an American citizen. He's the man with all the good info. He brought his Thai wife over some years ago and did it all himself. We call him 'The Professor'. We used to play chess a lot in Bangkok when he was here in Thailand. Great guy.

I do my income letter for my OA visa extension with a letter from the NZ Embassy.
Okay. I understand that some of you cannot do that.

Is there another you set up a income letter?
I would be very surprised if income cannot be done some other way.
In fact I read on You tube recently of a man did exactly that. I cannot remember how he did it. He is retired in Thailand.
I will try and find it.
Found it.
I don't know how to put a You tube video onto the forum.
I will give the name and also ask another member if he can do for me.

This is the name of his You tube video:

Thailand retirement visa how to save money how-to-retire in Thailand must watch!

The man is from the UK and his name is Les. No relation of mine.
I will let him explain.

Last edited:
I do my income letter for my OA visa extension with a letter from the NZ Embassy.
Okay. I understand that some of you cannot do that.

Is there another you set up a income letter?
I would be very surprised if income cannot be done some other way.
In fact I read on You tube recently of a man did exactly that. I cannot remember how he did it. He is retired in Thailand.
I will try and find it.
Found it.
I don't know how to put a You tube video onto the forum.
I will give the name and also ask another member if he can do for me.

This is the name of his You tube video:

Thailand retirement visa how to save money how-to-retire in Thailand must watch!

The man is from the UK and his name is Les. No relation of mine.
I will let him explain.
Hope that's it, Les!!!!!

When I was divorced the last time, technically your given 7 days to depart or make other arrangements. In practice, immigration told me to not worry about it until the visa extention expiry date.
Like most things in this country, its the luck of the draw, I suppose.

When I was divorced the last time, technically your given 7 days to depart or make other arrangements. In practice, immigration told me to not worry about it until the visa extention expiry date.
Like most things in this country, its the luck of the draw, I suppose.

Just a question out of interest......do you actually tell Immigration ?

I can't think of any other way that they would get to find out.

Back