Extension of Visa Based on Retirement

Be forewarned - Surin Imm now [possibly] enforcing 'Attachment to the Order of Immigration Bureau no. 242/2566 dated September 27, 2023'.

In particular be very clear maintaining your total funds above minimum requirements in a Thai bank account throughout the entire year relating to Criteria 4.
View attachment 70456

So knowledgeable members re: 'Criteria 4' - has the maintaining of THB 400,000 throughout the balance of the year (following the THB 800,000 five-month seasoning period) always been a requirement to extend an annual visa based on retirement [that was not always fully enforced]...or is this requirement something new ?

So knowledgeable members re: 'Criteria 4' - has the maintaining of THB 400,000 throughout the balance of the year (following the THB 800,000 five-month seasoning period) always been a requirement to extend an annual visa based on retirement [that was not always fully enforced]...or is this requirement something new ?
New from last year 2022 which only required a three month letter from the BB bank in my case.

Not wishing to be pedantic but in the interests of correct terminology - you don't apply to extend an annual visa (that visa has long since been 'used'), you apply to extend your permission to stay.

It was the year that Surin Immigration sub-office opened that I was first asked to provide a bank statement for the 3 months prior to application. Up until that time, I had been providing copies of the pages of my passbook covering a period well in excess of 12 months.

@Rice is the last person we need to enlighten us :) ........he has got into so many bugger's muddles with his knowledge of Thai, that you are better off without it - especially when dealing with Immigration.
I will second that. I could write a book on it. What horrible pathetic people they are. But by my estimation its only 20% that are that horrible.
The majority are reasonable human beings doing a job. Bye the way their fellow IO see whats going on and just ignore it. Its the Thainess thing.

One of my Golf partners did his extension in Buriram last Thursday.
a letter he receives from his pension people The London Fire brigade pension fund. Was used as proof of origin the last 4 years. Was not acceptable and sounded like none of this type of letter is acceptable to their Boss. 3000 baht
worked like a charm.

Not wishing to be pedantic but in the interests of correct terminology - you don't apply to extend an annual visa (that visa has long since been 'used'), you apply to extend your permission to stay.

If it doesn't matter that my personal bank account is now called a business account, why should it matter that extensions of stay are referred to by many people as visa extensions?

If it doesn't matter that my personal bank account is now called a business account, why should it matter that extensions of stay are referred to by many people as visa extensions?
It can't be fobbed off that easy as it is wording of Immigration policy administered widely under the act of 1979.
eg ," I entered Thailand on a Visa on arrival." is it ok just to use this phrase. ? This is specific to only 19 countries and I whole set of rules are attached with a 2000 Baht fee.
Most tourist arrive on a visa exempt. Technically not even a visa. That's why you can not transition from it to a married or retired extension based on the former.

While you can fob off technical terms as not mattering, well it does! As long term expats here and as forum members its our duty to inform those readers and there is a lot of them of the technicalities.

It can't be fobbed off that easy as it is wording of Immigration policy administered widely under the act of 1979.
eg ," I entered Thailand on a Visa on arrival." is it ok just to use this phrase. ? This is specific to only 19 countries and I whole set of rules are attached with a 2000 Baht fee.
Most tourist arrive on a visa exempt. Technically not even a visa. That's why you can not transition from it to a married or retired extension based on the former.

While you can fob off technical terms as not mattering, well it does! As long term expats here and as forum members its our duty to inform those readers and there is a lot of them of the technicalities.

You are missing the sarcasm!

Last edited:
Earlier this year instead of forwarding an approximate equivalent of THB 1,400,000 into my Thai bank account (paying crapolla interest) I placed my US funds into various term CDs paying 5.15- 5.3%.
(You can do the math on the return for 3, 6 months and longer.)

Even if I am denied an extension it would be a no sweat financial decision to exit Thailand on a holiday and re-enter to begin the process of making a new visa once I transfer the proper amount of funds within Thailand (still paying crapolla interest).

The bigger decision is whether to go with a visa based on marriage with THB 400,000 for five months and a minimum THB 200,000 float for seven months...or back into a visa based on retirement.
(The THOUGHT of 'marriage' simply has me gun-shy.)

What are the knowledgeable members thoughts as to which visa to apply for with the pros and cons for each. (??)

(I understand if a spouse predeceases then one is back to making an extension based on retirement.)

And so my journey began.
I'm off to BKK next week to enjoy the holidays among saints and sinners. :)

Not a huge problem but it is these little changes each year that are frustrating. You are never quite sure whether the documents you have prepared meet this year's criteria.

The official guidelines:-

Visa Extension​

1.Visa Extension - In the case of business necessity, for example, the applicant must stay to carry out work for a company or partnership

2.Visa Extension - In the case of necessity where the applicant must carry out duties relating to investment approved by the relevant ministry, department, and bureau:

3.Visa Extension - In the case of necessity where the applicant must carry out duties for the government, state enterprise, or other government agency

4.Visa Extension - In the case of tourism purposes

5.Visa Extension - In the case of investment

6.Visa Extension - In the case of a teacher, professor, or expert in a government educational institution

7.Visa Extension - In the case of a teacher, professor, or expert in a private educational institution

8.Visa Extension - In the case of study in a government educational institution

9.Visa Extension - In the case of study in a private educational institution

10.Visa Extension - In the case of conducting training or research in a university or research institute

11.Visa Extension - In the case of being a family member of an alien who has been permitted a temporary stay in the Kingdom for study in an educational institution according to Clauses 2.8 or 2.9 hereof

12.Visa Extension - In the case of performing duties in the mass media

13.Visa Extension - In the case of studying Buddhism or practicing religious activities

14.Visa Extension - In the case of a missionary

15.Visa Extension - In the case of a skilled laborer or a medical expert or a practitioner of other professions for the purpose of transferring knowledge to Thai people

16.Visa Extension - In the case of installation or repair of machines, aircraft, or ocean vessels

17.Visa Extension - In the case of an actor, vocalist, or musician working at a hotel or an entertainment company in Thailand with a paid-up registered capital of no less than Baht 20 million

18.Visa Extension - In the case of being a family member of a Thai national

19.Visa Extension - In the case of being a family member of a Thai resident

20.Visa Extension - In the case of being a family member of an alien permitted a temporary stay in the Kingdom

21.Visa Extension - In the case of necessity where the alien must stay to perform duties in a public charitable organization, a foreign private company, a foundation, an association, a foreign chamber of commerce, the Thai Chamber of Commerce, or the Federation of Thai Industries

22.Visa Extension - In the case of retirement

23.Visa Extension - In the case of a person who used to have Thai nationality or whose parent is or was of Thai nationality visiting relatives or returning to his or her original homeland

24.Visa Extension - In the case of visiting a spouse or children who are of Thai nationality

25.Visa Extension - In the case of receiving medical treatment, attending rehabilitation, or taking care of a patient

26.Visa Extension - In the case of litigation or court proceedings

27.Visa Extension - In the case of performing duties or missions for a government agency, state enterprise, other government agency or embassy or consulate or international organization

28.Visa Extension - In the case of necessity, with certification or request made by an embassy or consulate

29.Visa Extension - In the case of proof of nationality

30.Visa Extension - In the case of an actor, vocalist, musician, or performance director, including persons responsible for entertaining performances or plays conducted from time to time

31.Visa Extension - In the case of a person in charge of conveyance and crew of conveyance who entered through a port, station, or locality in the Kingdom, and has not departed from the Kingdom

32.Visa Extension - In the case of Necessity to Perform Duties in a Juristic Person

33.Visa Extension - In the case for Foreigners Having Rights under the Investment Promotion Act B.E. 2520, the Petroleum Act B.E. 2514, and the Industrial Estate Authority of Thailand Act B.E. 2522

34.การขออยู่ต่อ - กรณีเป็นสื่อมวลชน ที่ได้รับการอนุญาตจากทางราชการ

35.Extension of temporary stay under Section 15 - For Persons on Diplomatic Missions sent by a Foreign Government to perform duties in the Kingdom

36.Extension of temporary stay under Section 15 - For Consular parties and their employees sent by a Foreign Government to perform duties in the Kingdom

Back