Hospitals Surin, Government and Surin hospital charge Farang's double

I remember that Court case now that you refreshed my memory.

Dutch expat to appeal after Thai court sides with higher hospital fees for foreigners​

I seem to remember a directive coming out from the government, to have a 3 or 4 tier Hospital charging system because they are frequently 'out of pocket' when foreign tourists leave the country before paying their bills. The reason I remember it, was because it said that bills will be a little cheaper for Work Permit holders {like me}.

It was explained to me that kidney transplants are exactly the same price for Thais and foreigners within Thai Provincial Government Hospitals. I found that totally amazing !

How could that be in 'Amazing Thailand'?

Oh. Transplants are not done within any of these hospitals.
Okay, now I fully understand. :)

I seem to remember a directive coming out from the government, to have a 3 or 4 tier Hospital charging system because they are frequently 'out of pocket' when foreign tourists leave the country before paying their bills. The reason I remember it, was because it said that bills will be a little cheaper for Work Permit holders {like me}.

What was the 'directive' on the mandatory age of retirement specifically in regards to foreigners on work permits for "teaching English" ?

Last edited:
What was the 'directive' on the mandatory age of retirement specifically in regards to foreigners on work permits for "teaching English" ?
One rule for Government schools and another for Universities.

I believe new teachers for Govt schools, have to be under 60 (Thai retirement age) to start and apply for WP & Social Security, because of this, most places will not offer a job or continue employment to someone in thier 60's +.

My apologies for going off-topic whilst answering Coffee's question.

Last edited:
One rule for Government schools and another for Univercities.
My apologies for going off-topic whilst answering Coffee's question.

Universities.
Just sayin'...my apologies as well.

Thank you for that update. When I read the attachment in Nomad's post #41 it did state the multi-tiered system you alluded to.

Last edited:

Dutch expat to appeal after Thai court sides with higher hospital fees for foreigners​

Thanks nomad97, I just read the article and that certainly makes everything clear, clarifies why we were charged less before 2019 by Surin hospital .

About 1 1/2 year ago had a MRI scan, I lined it up by phone and done at Saint Mary's hospital in KORAT.
Appointment at 9 AM, back in my truck around 10 or 10:30, back to my house out of Surin early afternoon.
Excellent service and quick, parking spot right by the door of the separate building next to the hospital.
Left with six big film sheets, Report from the radiologist and a CD of MRI for the doctor in Surin at his clinic.
8,000 baht charged by the hospital.
There was a long waiting periods of time to have it done at Surin hospital and the charge was substantially more.

Back