Isaan snakes

This is a young spitting cobra which caused one of our dogs some grief a couple of years ago. If the dogs hadn't have aggravated it, I'm sure it would have slithered off without causing any trouble. Best to leave snakes alone in my opinion.

We've had two "rat eaters" in the house previously and they were more frightened of us than we were of them. When confronted they were away with the mixer!
The Isan spitting cobra can spray its venom from about one to two meters away. More of a fine spray or misting than a streaming spray. Best to keep some distance away when confronted by one. There are a couple different kinds in different areas of Thailand, the king cobra being the worst and most aggressive.
Many of the venomous snakes here are considered 'mildly' venomous. Strong enough venom to kill vermin. Still I don't want any of the buggers to bite me.

Was working on a gutter in the village while on a ladder once. The area in front of me was a cage sort of thing made from the square metal hollow rods welded together. Well as I was working my attention was drawn by movement right in front of my face. Sticking out of the open end of one of the metal rods was a snake's head inches from my face. I pushed away and fell off the ladder. When the excitement died down I was told, yes, this snake was poisonous, but... just a little. Great, just a couple inches from my jugular as my head was upturned focusing on what I was working on above. :)

The Isan spitting cobra can spray its venom from about one to two meters away. More of a fine spray or misting than a streaming spray. Best to keep some distance away when confronted by one. There are a couple different kinds in different areas of Thailand, the king cobra being the worst and most aggressive.
Many of the venomous snakes here are considered 'mildly' venomous. Strong enough venom to kill vermin. Still I don't want any of the buggers to bite me.

Was working on a gutter in the village while on a ladder once. The area in front of me was a cage sort of thing made from the square metal hollow rods welded together. Well as I was working my attention was drawn by movement right in front of my face. Sticking out of the open end of one of the metal rods was a snake's head inches from my face. I pushed away and fell off the ladder. When the excitement died down I was told, yes, this snake was poisonous, but... just a little. Great, just a couple inches from my jugular as my head was upturned focusing on what I was working on above. :)
No thanks.

My Thai village wife is terrified of snakes, convinced they are a great threat. I am irrationally NOT afraid of snakes, having even handled rattlesnakes (very carefully). However, I am a farang ignorant of local risks. Can anyone comment on whether there are rice field snakes we should worry about as we traipse around barefoot (something I would not do in dry USA areas)? Whereas in SW Washington State where we spend our 'summers' we have no poisonous snakes, but I cannot convince my wife to not run in terror from our harmless garter snakes.

One little guy from our rice field
View attachment 61230
Take her to NZ for a holiday.
No snakes.

Anyone care to comment on what Thai law is re: pellet guns? I would like to be able to reach out and bother the pack of mongrel dogs who come around bothering our water buffalo. I could bring a pellet rifle with a 'scope and plastic pellets in a suitcase, as you don't seem to be able to buy such here. Would it get me arrested at the airport? I'm a pretty good shot, and these would just sting. Damned wild dogs! The owners take no responsibility at all.

Anyone care to comment on what Thai law is re: pellet guns? I would like to be able to reach out and bother the pack of mongrel dogs who come around bothering our water buffalo. I could bring a pellet rifle with a 'scope and plastic pellets in a suitcase, as you don't seem to be able to buy such here. Would it get me arrested at the airport? I'm a pretty good shot, and these would just sting. Damned wild dogs! The owners take no responsibility at all.
Ill send a PM.

Used be able to own a air rifle. Not sure that it is possible now
Soft air rife and pistols are okay. Range is limited. Particularly in the wind. I have a soft air pistol, It quite accurate up to about 10 metres
The other which is a possibility is a PCP air rifle. The parts can be bought here in Thailand to assemble your own rifle.

But you need to be vary, very careful that the locals don't see you using it.
Reason being that to them you are using a firearm. To them it is a gun and that is it. Next thing you will find yourself surrounded by the police units with the possibility of being shot dead.
Sorry! I am not exaggerating.
As for bringing any firearms of any sort into Thailand. Forget it
Having been a firearm owner and hunter in NZ most of my life. I was still hopeful that I could own and use even a airgun even just for target shooting around the house.
I have done a lot of research into the firearm scene here in Thailand.
Your wife can own a firearm. You can shoot it at a legal range under her supervision.
Archery is okay.
Airsoft is okay.
Slingshots okay.
There is more to it. But what it all means is forget it.
Google the PCP rifle.

Used be able to own a air rifle. Not sure that it is possible now
Soft air rife and pistols are okay. Range is limited. Particularly in the wind. I have a soft air pistol, It quite accurate up to about 10 metres
The other which is a possibility is a PCP air rifle. The parts can be bought here in Thailand to assemble your own rifle.

But you need to be vary, very careful that the locals don't see you using it.
Reason being that to them you are using a firearm. To them it is a gun and that is it. Next thing you will find yourself surrounded by the police units with the possibility of being shot dead.
Sorry! I am not exaggerating.
As for bringing any firearms of any sort into Thailand. Forget it
Having been a firearm owner and hunter in NZ most of my life. I was still hopeful that I could own and use even a airgun even just for target shooting around the house.
I have done a lot of research into the firearm scene here in Thailand.
Your wife can own a firearm. You can shoot it at a legal range under her supervision.
Archery is okay.
Airsoft is okay.
Slingshots okay.
There is more to it. But what it all means is forget it.
Google the PCP rifle.

I was told that if I wanted a firearm I would need to buy it from a local policeman........

Basically a foreinor cannot own any kind of firearm in Thailand. https://thethaiger.com/news/national/can-foreigners-own-guns-in-thailand

Back