Isaan snakes

Stargazer

Surin Legend
My Thai village wife is terrified of snakes, convinced they are a great threat. I am irrationally NOT afraid of snakes, having even handled rattlesnakes (very carefully). However, I am a farang ignorant of local risks. Can anyone comment on whether there are rice field snakes we should worry about as we traipse around barefoot (something I would not do in dry USA areas)? Whereas in SW Washington State where we spend our 'summers' we have no poisonous snakes, but I cannot convince my wife to not run in terror from our harmless garter snakes.

One little guy from our rice field
IMG_6790.jpeg

This is a young spitting cobra which caused one of our dogs some grief a couple of years ago. If the dogs hadn't have aggravated it, I'm sure it would have slithered off without causing any trouble. Best to leave snakes alone in my opinion.

Cobra.jpg

We've had two "rat eaters" in the house previously and they were more frightened of us than we were of them. When confronted they were away with the mixer!

This is a young spitting cobra which caused one of our dogs some grief a couple of years ago. If the dogs hadn't have aggravated it, I'm sure it would have slithered off without causing any trouble. Best to leave snakes alone in my opinion.

We've had two "rat eaters" in the house previously and they were more frightened of us than we were of them. When confronted they were away with the mixer!
Easy fixed

Attachments

• 12 gauge..gif
    12 gauge..gif
    4.3 MB · Views: 3
My Thai village wife is terrified of snakes, convinced they are a great threat. I am irrationally NOT afraid of snakes, having even handled rattlesnakes (very carefully). However, I am a farang ignorant of local risks. Can anyone comment on whether there are rice field snakes we should worry about as we traipse around barefoot (something I would not do in dry USA areas)? Whereas in SW Washington State where we spend our 'summers' we have no poisonous snakes, but I cannot convince my wife to not run in terror from our harmless garter snakes.

One little guy from our rice field
View attachment 61230
Cobras eat frogs and rats (among other things). Rice fields harbor rats and frogs. :)

I belong to Snakes if Isaan FB group, lots of pictures of snakes you don't want to bother. Giant centipedes and spiders can both give you a lot of grief.

1679908562981.png

Naja siamensis is classified under the genus Naja of the family Elapidae. It was first described by Austrian-born Italian zoologist Josephus Nicolaus Laurenti in 1768. The generic name Naja is a Latinisation of the Sanskrit word nāgá (नाग), meaning "cobra". The specific epithet siamensis is derived from the word Siam or Siamese, which means "relating to or characteristic of Thailand or its people and language".[9] This species was long confused with the monocled cobra (Naja kaouthia) and the Chinese cobra (Naja atra), and extensive variation in pattern and scalation contributed to this confusion. Detailed morphological and molecular analyses revealed it to be a distinct species during the 1990s.[3][10]

Distribution and habitat[edit]​

It is found in Southeast Asia, including Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, and Laos. May occur in eastern Myanmar but no records are known.[3] It has been reported from Taiwan where it was released to the wild based on folklore Buddhist practices.[11] It occupies a range of habitats including lowlands, hills, plains, and woodland.[5] It can also be found in jungle habitat and it is sometimes attracted to human settlements because of the abundant populations of rodents in and around these areas.[12]

Behavior and diet[edit]​

It is a primarily nocturnal species.[12] It shows variable temperament depending on the time of day it is encountered. When threatened during daylight hours, the snake is generally timid and seeks refuge in the nearest burrow. However, when the snake is threatened at night, it is more aggressive and is more likely to stand its ground, rear up and display its hood and spit out its venom.[13] If spitting venom doesn't work, it will strike and bite as a last resort. When biting, this species tends to hold on and chew savagely. It usually feeds on rodents, toads, and other snakes.[4][12]

Reproduction[edit]​

The snake is oviparous. The female will lay 13-19 eggs[4] 100 days after oviposition. Eggs will hatch after 48 to 70 days depending on the temperature of incubation. Offspring are independent as soon as they have hatched. Hatchlings are anywhere from 12 to 20 cm long and, because they possess fully developed venom delivery systems, should be treated with the same respect as adults.[13] Some hatchlings can be as long as 32 cm.[5]

Venom[edit]​

Like most other spitting cobras, its venom is primarily a postsynaptic neurotoxin and cytotoxin (necrotizing or tissue-death).[4] Like all cobras, this species shows variation in venom toxicity based on different factors (diet, locality, etc.). In a study of specimens from Thailand, the IV LD50 was 0.28 μg/g (0.18-0.42 μg/g).[14] Fischer and Kabara (1967) listed a value of 0.35 mg/kg via IP route.[15] Another study gave an LD50 range. Deaths, which generally happen due to paralysis and consequent asphyxiation, mainly occur in rural areas where the procurement of antivenin is difficult. 1.07-1.42 mg/gram of mouse body weight.[16] Bite symptoms include pain, swelling and necrosis around the wound. The bite of this snake is potentially lethal to an adult human.

If the snake spits venom into the eyes of an individual, the individual will experience immediate and severe pain as well as temporary and sometimes even permanent blindness.[3][13]

Cases[edit]​

In a national hospital based survey of snakes responsible for bites in Thailand, 10% of all dead snakes brought by snake-bitten patients were of this species (described as "Naja atra northern spitting cobra"). Neurotoxic signs (ptosis and difficulty in breathing) were observed in 12 of the 114 cases (10.5%). Local swelling and necrosis were common, but many of the patients were followed up for too short a time to allow precise assessment of the incidence of these effects. Swelling and necrosis, comparable in all respects with that following bites by N. kaouthia, in patients envenomed by N. siamensis in Ubon and Kanchanaburi in Thailand.

The people hunting frogs at night with their small tridents and head lamps are known to have trouble with cobras. Same food they are after. Sis-in-law had a friend killed while out hunting frogs by a cobra.

@Merlin: Thanks. Great site, I've joined it.
I belong to Snakes if Isaan FB group, lots of pictures of snakes you don't want to bother. Giant centipedes and spiders can both give you a lot of grief.
@george: I was bitten by a 4" long centipede in Hawai'i. Most painful thing I've ever experienced! 5 hours of excruciating pain. We've found several small ones in our rather tight house.

Never be caught outdoors without your walking stick!

From his album "On The Track" which I bought on vinyl in the early 70s and on CD some 20 plus years later.
Indeed! Having a nice long walking stick has saved me from several possible dog bites. Ferret's 12 gauge would have done a better job, but my wife tells me we'd have to pay the dog owner.

Back