latest run down on retirement extension

J

johnb

Hi Guys,

Wife and I plan to move to Surin permanently later this year and I would very much appreciate confirmation (latest) of the procedures to sort my visa and subsequent retirement extension.

I think first I have to get a multiple entry non-immigrant O visa from the Thai embassy here in Portugal.

Then, once in Thailand, apply for extension based on retirement showing 800k baht in my account that has been brought in from Portugal at least 3 months previously.

Is that right? Where do I go to do this....Korat, Chong Chom, Bangkok? What forms, documents, paperwork will be needed?

Thereafter I have to do address check every 3 months..right? Where? What documents?

I know lots of info on this is arounf on TVisa etc but I would appreciate local knowledge and up to date info.

If someone with local and recent experience would have the time to give me a fool's guide to this process, step by step, I would be mighty grateful.

John B

Hi John
Some questions that might clarify your current situation and assist somebody in answering your request.
Do you hold any current Thai visa?
Have you considered applying for the Retirement Visa in your home country before coming to Thailand? It would then include multiple entry and give you a full year at each arrival. eg Arrive in Thailand on the 364th day of the visa and be granted another full year.
Why would you need a multiple entry O visa if you are going to apply for the Retirement Visa after one arrival?
Will you have a regular income stream (eg pension) of 800,000 baht or more per year. If so, you would not need the cash in the Thai bank.
Most of what you need to know is already available in this forum and nothing much has changed in the past 12 months.

Thanks for reply Bill but not clear to me what to do.
I thought retirement visa did not exist....you can only extend an O visa for a year on grounds of retirement with 3 month address reporting.
I will have some pension income but not in Thailand so prefer to keep 800k in bank there.
I just want to come to Thailand, live there most of the year, maybe four to six weeks in Europe each year...don't hold any current visa...so what's my way forward?

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/11.php if applying in Thailand
or website for Thai Embassy in the country where you will apply.

Plenty of members will have advice for you when they awake shortly to a new Thailand morning, no doubt.

Morning John
Korat is where you apply for your visa extention although this last year they had monthly one day 'surgeries' out in Buriam and Surin. I understand that has now ceased. There are links to download the TH 7 & 47 forms here... http://www.surinfarang.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?27-Visa-Issues but now see that our local place for 3month address notification (Chon Chom border) has now gone computerised and all you need is to turn up with your passport (and its FREE!!).

There could be a few other options for you, but a retirement visa is the way to go because it involves far less paperwork (but more cash). Like all things in LOS, there are ways around any rules! nudge,nudge,wink,wink!

The O-A Retirement visa, now called a long stay visa, is very difficult to get hold of. All you need is a single entry O visa. Reason for application " to look at the possibility of retiring in Thailand". That will give you a 90 day entry.

The 800k only needs to be in the bank for 2 months for the first extension.

So come over here on a single entry, set up a bank account in your name and deposit 800k.

Can then go to Immigration anytime within the last 30 days of permission to stay to get an extension.

Just to confirm John, the first thing you need is a visa - then you can extend.

As Stevo said, a single entry is sufficient for the purposes of then visiting Dan Kwien to make the extension.

I am going tomorrow to attempt the same.

Thanks guys for the information so far.
Sorry CC but where is Dan Kwien?

Bill, have you tried to access the Thai Embassy site? I did but it was not easy. I have just down loaded the retirement-long stay forms for a friend of mine in NZ. If anyone wants them let me know

There is a map in another part of this Forum: http://www.surinfarang.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=869&d=1280546453 . Basically, it is called the Korat Immigration Office and is just off the main road between Korat and Chok Chai - some 25 kilometers south of Korat. Dan Kwien is the village famous for its pottery and the Immigration Office is well sign posted from the main road.

and

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...d=113370726952380171416.00048d1fe62584ffbec64

A further question gentlemen.

With all the continuing bad news about the euro and the bleak prospect of improvement any time soon, I am thinking of tranferring funds sooner rather than later ready to show the necessary 800k for visa extension in the Autumn.

I am assuming there is no problem about the money being there for quite a bit longer than the necessary 2 months before first extension. Is that the case?

Also, I am assuming it doesn't have to all be deposited at one time....it can be done in bits, right?

As always, your advice gratefully received.

John B

A further question gentlemen.

With all the continuing bad news about the euro and the bleak prospect of improvement any time soon, I am thinking of tranferring funds sooner rather than later ready to show the necessary 800k for visa extension in the Autumn.

I am assuming there is no problem about the money being there for quite a bit longer than the necessary 2 months before first extension. Is that the case?

Also, I am assuming it doesn't have to all be deposited at one time....it can be done in bits, right?

As always, your advice gratefully received.

John B

It can be done in bits as long as the total amount ( 800,000 baht) meets the 90 day before date .

And it must be to a Thai bank account in your SOLE name. Joint accounts are unacceptable, it seems

Thanks guys.
My account is in my name only and is at Bangkok Bank HQ Silom in the capital.
It occurred to me that this might make it a bit more inconvenient to get the bank letter needed for the extension. Any ideas on this? Might it be better to have the money in an account in Surin..just for convenience?
Also, can it be any kind of account? How about one of those where it is locked in for a year to get higher interest. Any problem?

I suppose it would be far more convenient as I have heard of stories about bank docs/passbook updates having to be done on the same day as your visit to Immigration. I am not 100% sure, but expect term deposits would be no problem but best ask Immigration , to be sure, to be sure.

Beware that if you should transfer the money (800,000+) from Bangkok Bank Silom to any bank in Surin -or elsewhere for that matter, they will charge you 0.1% for the privilege. Thats 800bt! Cheaper to withdraw in cash and personally pay it in to your Surin bank of choice!

Back