latest run down on retirement extension

Beware that if you should transfer the money (800,000+) from Bangkok Bank Silom to any bank in Surin -or elsewhere for that matter, they will charge you 0.1% for the privilege. Thats 800bt! Cheaper to withdraw in cash and personally pay it in to your Surin bank of choice!

40 withdrawals of 20,000 Baht a time! - surely your time is more valuable than that Nick. :biggrin:

I think we are also forgetting the inter-province of, what, 20 Baht a time = Hmmmmm? 800 Baht.

They have you by the gonads either way............

Another thing I am unsure about, guys.
Once I have a one year extension based on retirement, can I leave and re-enter Thailand as I wish? What happens if I want to visit Laos, or go to UK for a month to visit family?
The benefit of your experience, as always, gratefully received.

You have 2 options.

Either get a single entry 'stamp' from Immigration,Korat or pay for a 'multi entry' which does what it says on the tin.

If these are not done prior to leaving Thailand, you will get a 15/30 day tourist exemption visa upon your return and your years extension will be void.

Thanks Dave. Can you give me any idea of cost of those two options?

Single reentry is 1000 baht and a multiable reentry is 3800 baht. Either of these reentries expire when your extension to stay does.

Thanks. Can either re-entry be obtained and paid for at any time, or does it have to be within a certain time from the intended departure.

You can get them any time up to departure date. I usually get mine a multi when I renew my extension, this way I have it just encase.

I have read in some places that, to obtain an extension of the Retirement Visa, there needs to be a further 18 months validity on the passport. Checked with Barry at Jomtien today and that is NOT TRUE - the 14 months that will remain on my passport is plenty. Great, don't have to get a new Aussie passport till late next year.

Just have to watch out if I want to travel to a neighbouring country such as Laos or Cambodia where 6 months validity IS required to enter those countries. Nick and Ray, I can't go anywhere with you after July 2013, until I do get a new passport.

I renewed my extension when there was 11 months validity left on my passport. My 'new' extension then expired on the same date as the validity of my passport. After obtaining my new passport, immigration transferred my extension etc, and gave me the further one month.

Further to Yorky's post, I renewed my visa extension with only 9 months remaining on the validity of my passport. Same thing as Yorky, when I transferred my visa info to the new passport the visa extension was extended to the a full year. I think I was told that you need a minimum of 6 months remaining on your passport to obtain an extension of the visa.

Back