Legalization of certificate of marriage (US)

Stargazer

Surin Legend
My Thai wife and I were married in 2019 in USA per USA requirements. We want to 'register' our marriage in Thailand so we can switch from 'retirement' to 'marriage' long term visa renewal.

We have worked our official, sealed Certificate of Marriage up the authentication chain, State seal, US State Department seal, and now have submitted it to the Thai Consulate General in Los Angeles for what they call 'legalization'.

The question is what further steps we must take in Thailand. My wife says we must go to the office near Don Muang and get an official translation, and also submit it there to the 'legal' office before taking all the paper to our local Surin officials. This seems excessive and redundant to me. However, once we get home to Surin, going back to Bangkok is not easy. We already have an official translation of the Certificate of Marriage itself.

Can anyone give guidance as to the process required? We spend our winters at my wife's home near Rattanaburi, Surin. We normally get my annual visa renewal at the Surin Immigration office in Chong Chom, which has been quicker and easier than Bangkok, as the office is small.

I think she is right. It needs translation (loads of places near the Embassies), then registration at the Ministry of Foriegn Affairs in BKK. I believe some translation agencies will do it for you for a price, as it can be a busy place!

Mr @FERRET will be the expert here as he was married in Australia and is now on an extension based on Marriage to a Thai. Over to you @FERRET. What do you have to do each year to prove continuance of marriage. Marriage in Thailand requires a recent Kor Ror 2, to show you remain married.
My point is @Mel Malinowski you may jump through these hoops but you may have to do it every year.

My Thai wife and I were married in 2019 in USA per USA requirements. We want to 'register' our marriage in Thailand so we can switch from 'retirement' to 'marriage' long term visa renewal.

We have worked our official, sealed Certificate of Marriage up the authentication chain, State seal, US State Department seal, and now have submitted it to the Thai Consulate General in Los Angeles for what they call 'legalization'.

The question is what further steps we must take in Thailand. My wife says we must go to the office near Don Muang and get an official translation, and also submit it there to the 'legal' office before taking all the paper to our local Surin officials. This seems excessive and redundant to me. However, once we get home to Surin, going back to Bangkok is not easy. We already have an official translation of the Certificate of Marriage itself.

Can anyone give guidance as to the process required? We spend our winters at my wife's home near Rattanaburi, Surin. We normally get my annual visa renewal at the Surin Immigration office in Chong Chom, which has been quicker and easier than Bangkok, as the office is small.
Listen to your wife. :)

he question is what further steps we must take in Thailand. My wife says we must go to the office near Don Muang and get an official translation, and also submit it there to the 'legal' office before taking all the paper to our local Surin officials. This seems excessive and redundant to me. However, once we get home to Surin, going back to Bangkok is not easy. We already have an official translation of the Certificate of Marriage itself.
Listen your wife.

I am also an American, married and registered officially in Bangkok, Thailand since Dec. 2006, did Buddhist wedding at our village in Prasat area in Jan. 2007, then did another wedding in the U.S. in October, 2007.

Your wife is correct...believe her on this one. You can also get verification and information by searching online, that's what I did initially.

Get used to "excessive and redundant" as well, some things aren't like how you want or are accustomed to. Good luck.

@Mel Malinowski, if you have the necessary funds, 800,000 lodged in a Thai bank account, an annual extension based on retirement is far easier to obtain and does not involve all the paperwork/photos required each year with an application for an extension based on marriage. Further, the extension is provided on the same day and there is no requirement to return 30 days later for the second visit.

Please be aware, there is now an Immigration Office in the Surin Government Service Center, which is on the eastern ring road around Surin.

The following reference may contain some useful information.

Complete Guide to Obtaining a Marriage Visa for Thailand (Includes extension of stay based on marriage too). https://visaguide.world/asia/thailand-visa/non-immigrant/marriage/

Your wife is correct. Surin Immigration is now in Surin.
I live in Rattanaburi,
You are welcome to contact me anytime.
Do you mean they now have an Office in Surin city as well? That would be correct. As @gotlost suggests saying "Your wrong" Surin Province Immigration is still in Kap Cheong.

I am also an American, married and registered officially in Bangkok, Thailand since Dec. 2006, did Buddhist wedding at our village in Prasat area in Jan. 2007, then did another wedding in the U.S. in October, 2007.

Your wife is correct...believe her on this one. You can also get verification and information by searching online, that's what I did initially.

Get used to "excessive and redundant" as well, some things aren't like how you want or are accustomed to. Good luck.
We were married in Thailand. 1st doing a village Buddha wedding for family face and the big party after. Then a bit later down to Bangkok and getting it all legal at 'The Amphur of Love'. Great people there and was painless and not expensive at all. I do not remember if we put papers after at the US Embassy or not. I believe so if it was necessary to get it all recognized by the states. Was a long time ago now. :)

We were married in Thailand. 1st doing a village Buddha wedding for family face and the big party after. Then a bit later down to Bangkok and getting it all legal at 'The Amphur of Love'. Great people there and was painless and not expensive at all. I do not remember if we put papers after at the US Embassy or not. I believe so if it was necessary to get it all recognized by the states. Was a long time ago now. :)
WTF everybody gets married in Bang Rak. I had no idea why my wife to be was taking me by slow taxi there to do the business. We lived a short distance from Rachatevi district office. I had no idea we could of been married there. Talk about being green. What ever.

WTF everybody gets married in Bang Rak. I had no idea why my wife to be was taking me by slow taxi there to do the business. We lived a short distance from Rachatevi district office. I had no idea we could of been married there. Talk about being green. What ever.
My wife and I did not marry in Bang Rak, god forbid! We got married in Nonthaburi, much more upmarket! :):):)

Damn. I've never been married here.

Once in the USA was enough. :p

Maybe one day I will. No rush particularly with the epidemic in full swing.
My darling owns and has legal access to everything in Thailand... so really wtf...my Will will dictate Stateside once I'm deceased.

Back